Estes | what is better utility or hub driver

hub makes more . utility means ya run city/ dock /hub/ linehaul. so go hub !!!

Extraboard

My favorite is extraboard/linehaul, but i don't see any openings for that where you are applying. Personally/ Hub : same road every day. Utility: May be too much dock work. On the up side, I miss meeting the customers doing p + d. Whichever one you end up with, you'll soon be asking yourself (like i did) what took me so long to come here. Keep us informed of your progress.

There is also a very slim chance of being laid-off working the hub. No competition with line-haulers.

I don't think you would make a mistake by going hub, either. Those guys work when we stay home, at times. If you are young, then by all means get on with Estes. We're not going anywhere. Very financially stable company.

Good Luck!!

Ya I'd have to recommend hub also if you need to be home every day and can't go straight to L/H schedule. It's steady work because they pull mostly next day frieght so that means they will run a hub load even if it's light to make the next day service. Hub loads rarely get canceled. I started out in hub and loved it.

My favorite is extraboard/linehaul, but i don't see any openings for that where you are applying. Personally/ Hub : same road every day. Utility: May be too much dock work. On the up side, I miss meeting the customers doing p + d. Whichever one you end up with, you'll soon be asking yourself (like i did) what took me so long to come here. Keep us informed of your progress.
i work for yrc know 5 yrs jumping ship in the chicago area i will take the first offer , utitity is 04/20/09 then hub 4/21/09

Being a dockworker.. I'd most definetly say go with the hub. Depending on how long your hub run is, you might not have to work the dock at all. Some of the longer "hub" runs aren't more than a drop and hook. Other hub runs might be a double turn depending on the amount of freight sitting at the hub you run to. I think the only really bad "hub" run might might be the "lay-over hub" run. Essentially its a linehaul run, it's just too long of a run to turn. So you have to stay the night and work the dock when you get there. Perhaps even having to work the dock before you leave the hub. I think the lay-over hub guys get paid a penny or 2 more than normal hub. The wise men here are right in that, you'll do your run 99.9% of nights. Even if you only have 500lbs and an empty, you'll still run. Depending on your TM you might even be able to hand off your hub run on a friday night to a lay-over linehaul guy, needing to go that direction to get home, or you might be able to hand it off to one of your terminals linehaul guys that missed a night that week due to lower freight on his run. Hub always seemed like the best idea to me. Unless you could jump right into a 600 mile meet and turn.

Where are the hubs in that area? Anyone know?

There is also a very slim chance of being laid-off working the hub. No competition with line-haulers.
You're right on the no competition Mildew. I was #8 in line last week in WMX till the regular hub guys started showin up then the waiting started. That's ok /that's why its called extraboard and most xboard drivers accept that.

Being a dockworker.. I'd most definetly say go with the hub. Depending on how long your hub run is, you might not have to work the dock at all. Some of the longer "hub" runs aren't more than a drop and hook. Other hub runs might be a double turn depending on the amount of freight sitting at the hub you run to. I think the only really bad "hub" run might might be the "lay-over hub" run. Essentially its a linehaul run, it's just too long of a run to turn. So you have to stay the night and work the dock when you get there. Perhaps even having to work the dock before you leave the hub. I think the lay-over hub guys get paid a penny or 2 more than normal hub. The wise men here are right in that, you'll do your run 99.9% of nights. Even if you only have 500lbs and an empty, you'll still run. Depending on your TM you might even be able to hand off your hub run on a friday night to a lay-over linehaul guy, needing to go that direction to get home, or you might be able to hand it off to one of your terminals linehaul guys that missed a night that week due to lower freight on his run. Hub always seemed like the best idea to me. Unless you could jump right into a 600 mile meet and turn.

Where are the hubs in that area? Anyone know?
racine wi that is were hope to get a job for hub

I always wish they would change the policy on Hub and linehaul being seperate, I would have a hub run right now till I could get a regular Linehaul run, but stuck on Extra board right now, that is no place to be.
We got guys here that jumped on the Utility runs that have less time with the company than me and they are working more then me now.

anyone know if they are still hiring utility drivers in kansas city? and if they are what type of hrs and work would you be doing.
I am currently working for fed ex and getting tired of the purple promise think i might need a change