FedEx Freight | What is the difference?

671CityBoy said:
What is the difference between FEDEX FREIGHT and FEDEX NATIONAL LTL? Just curious..........

671, Freight is the combined operations of the former Viking and AF. National is what the new name of Watkins is gonna be.

As I understand things, Freight will specialize in the 1-3 day freight and National will concentrate on the long haul market

Since we go coast to coast in 4 days or less, I figured it was the Canada, and other out of country things that we hire out now, to keep it "in house"... Right ???

365Volare said:
Since we go coast to coast in 4 days or less, I figured it was the Canada, and other out of country things that we hire out now, to keep it "in house"... Right ???

We go coast to coast in 4 days for a very high price, National will do it in thier amount of time for a lesser price for the customers that dont want freights premium service for the higher price but still want the fedex name.

I remember

CFer said:
671, Freight is the combined operations of the former Viking and AF. National is what the new name of Watkins is gonna be.

As I understand things, Freight will specialize in the 1-3 day freight and National will concentrate on the long haul market
I remember Viking!!! (spinoff) they should have kept RPS! They were a money maker and when FEDEX got them they got a gold mine.

I think that all of the posts are correct here another thing is that we can't really take more than 11 plts because the pup has to have 2 bills on it , so a customer can't give us full loads on pups unless it is oked by cargo cap. Maybe ''gwtreece'' can help here.

fdx nat'l is going to do long haul,rumor has it that there going to send there owner operators into our centers and take our big mileage runs away from us.all we are going to do is short hub runs and work the dock.

roadwhore said:
fdx nat'l is going to do long haul,rumor has it that there going to send there owner operators into our centers and take our big mileage runs away from us.all we are going to do is short hub runs and work the dock.
I haven't heard that one. "The big millage runs" have a lot of hot freight on it, and like pocketchange said earlier the people who will use FXF nat only want their freight delivered intact not so much as a certain time period. There is a Watkins terminal about 6 miles or so from DCU. Our guys would have heard something like that if it were true I would think. They would throw some of the dangest fits if it were a correct and valid statement. I think you guys are getting a little nervous about the new "add on" to the company. There is only one way to stop a rumor...nip it . Ask for yourself.

roadwhore said:
I have a buddy that was a contractor with Watkins ans they offered to buy his truck and wanted him to work by the hour in his truck. He said they are doing away with them just like they did with AF.

?

Captain said:
I have a buddy that was a contractor with Watkins ans they offered to buy his truck and wanted him to work by the hour in his truck. He said they are doing away with them just like they did with AF.
What was his decision?

roadwhore said:
This is nonsense. The soon to be FedEx Freight National is operating like we are. Near of at capacity. They also have the same problem we have with hiring new drivers. Short of importing more drivers from across out National borders they have no way to expand capacity. Maybe roadwhore has some secret info on that program, but until he reveals it, with conclusive proof, I am not inclined to believe his assertion that we are going to lose anything to FedEx Freight National. This is more pot stirring, and is not much more then :spam1:

:bananalama:

I had to put this in just cause I like it.

roadwhore said:

Maybe you are part right. We use allot of purchase transportation now to points out west that have a heavier inbound from the east then there outbound to us. The reason for this is to prevent mtys having to be pulled back from areas with lighter outbound to the east. I would rather see our freight going down the road on national trucks then us express, swift, landstar exc. As far as loosing lanes if you are pulling any next day freight I doubt we will loose them. Now if you are doing meets to the east or west with 2 and 3 day freight, there maybe a real possibility that national may pick those up. I know if I where on one of those runs it would make me upset to here this. But when you sit back and look at the big picture you will see this is what will keep our company strong and profitable.
Not trying to get anything started here. This is just my own thoughts on how this may play out.:wacko:

I have to agree somewhat with Pompano... I would rather see our freight on "fedex" trucks instead of contract haulers... We get them every night in SGF.