XPO | What is the true fact on 16 hour rule?

chevyshack

TB Lurker
Credits
We are constantly pushed to use our 16 hour rule once a week. They tried to make us via on the way home knowing we would go beyond the 14 hour rule a few years back. Called line haul and they called the FOS that was running the FAC and that all ended. Now this year we have an FOS that is a complete A hole and cant run an FAC if his life depended on it. We are back to working 13 and 14 hours every single night and once again we are getting pushed to run past our 14 if we need to so they dont have to pick us up. Last Saturday morning every single driver from our barn ran way over 14, some even over the 16 hours. Two DSR's stayed in a hotel and one got picked up that already used his 16 hour that week. Safety was called and they even said to use the 16 hour rule. Its only for inclement weather and traffic according to what Ive read.

My understanding is that the 16 hour rule is ONLY supposed to be used if something (weather, accident, breakdown) forces you to use it. You can not use the rule if it's just because your night was too busy and you needed more time. If you leave another service center, or your own service center, knowing you can't make it back home in your 14, you are not supposed to leave.

You need to call the ethics hotline and file a complaint. The fos is violating federal law by doing that. The complaint goes right to the top and filters down from there.

And secondly, why are you breaking the law? Don't let them force you into doing it. What if you got into a bad wreck in your 15th hour? You would be on the hook legally. Do you really think the fos would stand up and say he told you to do it? Not a snowballs chance in hell.

Next time you are in the situation, and they say go even though your short hours, ask for it in writing. See what happens then.....

My understanding is that the 16 hour rule is ONLY supposed to be used if something (weather, accident, breakdown) forces you to use it. You can not use the rule if it's just because your night was too busy and you needed more time. If you leave another service center, or your own service center, knowing you can't make it back home in your 14, you are not supposed to leave.

I don't know your company rules- but FMSCA rule says, (paraphrased) IF a driver starts/stops at the same origin every day, and he doesn't DRIVE more than his allowable Driving hours available (or two over driving in Unforseen Circumstances ) he may WORK a 16 hour duty tour no more than once every 7 days. Must start/stop same terminal. Yeah, stinks- but legal.

FMSCA Title 49: part 395.1

Short haul provision is if you return to the same place where you start work 5 times a week you can work 16 hours once during any 5 day period.
Long haul provision states that if weather or breakdown prohibits you from either completing your trip or from getting to a safe haven you may extend your driving by two hours. As a professional truck driver you should know this.

I don't know your company rules- but FMSCA rule says, (paraphrased) IF a driver starts/stops at the same origin every day, and he doesn't DRIVE more than his allowable Driving hours available (or two over driving in Unforseen Circumstances ) he may WORK a 16 hour duty tour no more than once every 7 days. Must start/stop same terminal. Yeah, stinks- but legal.

you are correct sir

There are 2 16 hour rules. The first one is the old one of that has been around for ever, we all know it. The SECOND one is the one that was put in place with the new HOS rules. It is only for drivers that go out and return to the same terminal everyday, That means us. Now they CAN'T force you to use it if you don't want to. We have been thru this our saftey director Cliff Fiveash. next will be all caps. IF YOU RUN INTO SOMEONE WHO TRIES TO FORCE YOU USE THESE LITTLE WORDS AND IT WILL STOP I AM TO FATIGUED TO CONTINUE TO DRIVE IT WOULD BE UNSAFE. Remember all linehaul calls are recorded.
hope this helps a little

Short haul provision is if you return to the same place where you start work 5 times a week you can work 16 hours once during any 5 day period.
Long haul provision states that if weather or breakdown prohibits you from either completing your trip or from getting to a safe haven you may extend your driving by two hours. As a professional truck driver you should know this.

I knew the rule, but had to look up that it was called Short Haul Provision. I can't use it with my present job. The subject came up when I worked at Yellow 5 years ago...

Company can have more strict rules, but not less strict.

Yes. Absolutely correct. I was pissed about being told to use it last year so I stopped at scale house on way home from work and was shown that very line in the book.

Safety is our number one core principle.
You should be well-rested when you come to work.
The following is a little arithmetic...
24 hours in the day, minus 16 hours logged, minus 1 hour round trip commute to work, minus 1 hour miscellaneous wait for loads/truck/lineup/:08 punch.
This leaves the average driver 6 hours to tend to family/home matters, get a meal, clean up, get to bed, awaken, get dressed for work, and get another meal at home before leaving for work.
Remember, "safety is our number one core principle".
insanity
noun
1 : mental illness, madness, dementia; lunacy, instability; mania, psychosis;
2 : folly, foolishness, madness, idiocy, stupidity, lunacy, silliness;

So i guess we have no choice. Damn. Well at least I now know im not breaking the law. Our safety guy is Ralph Cartrite. Im just tired of working all these hours. $80k a year is great but its like im paying child support and alimony. I never see my wife and kids but 30 minutes in the morning and about an hour when I get up for dinner. I cant afford to work in the city or i would be there. Im fine with 10 to 12 hours a night. 13, 14 and once a week 15+ im not! Im just getting my ducks in a row and Conway can shove it!

We are constantly pushed to use our 16 hour rule once a week. They tried to make us via on the way home knowing we would go beyond the 14 hour rule a few years back. Called line haul and they called the FOS that was running the FAC and that all ended. Now this year we have an FOS that is a complete A hole and cant run an FAC if his life depended on it. We are back to working 13 and 14 hours every single night and once again we are getting pushed to run past our 14 if we need to so they dont have to pick us up. Last Saturday morning every single driver from our barn ran way over 14, some even over the 16 hours. Two DSR's stayed in a hotel and one got picked up that already used his 16 hour that week. Safety was called and they even said to use the 16 hour rule. Its only for inclement weather and traffic according to what Ive read.

Just to be clear,the 2 hrs in the 16 hour rule[that is beyond 14 hrs] are YOUR 2 hrs,they donot belong to a dispatcher,a supervisor or even a dot person.They are to be used for the unforeseen,breakdown,weather or traffic, due to accident or distruction. I make it clear to those in charge,wherever I am,these are my hours and I will be dispatched to arrive back within this window. everything else is blah,blah,blah.As your dispatch time draws near, call your central dispatch,advise them where you are and ask them to get a room reservation at a decent hotel,one that has breakfast and a gym.Just be sure it is not on a FridayPM,unless you have no plans for the weekend, or would be a better choice than going home.See how fast the put some fire under some azzes.

Just to be clear,the 2 hrs in the 16 hour rule[that is beyond 14 hrs] are YOUR 2 hrs,they donot belong to a dispatcher,a supervisor or even a dot person.They are to be used for the unforeseen,breakdown,weather or traffic, due to accident or distruction. I make it clear to those in charge,wherever I am,these are my hours and I will be dispatched to arrive back within this window. everything else is blah,blah,blah.As your dispatch time draws near, call your central dispatch,advise them where you are and ask them to get a room reservation at a decent hotel,one that has breakfast and a gym.Just be sure it is not on a FridayPM,unless you have no plans for the weekend, or would be a better choice than going home.See how fast the put some fire under some azzes.

Unforeseen stuff is not what they use it for. We return to the same joint on a daily basis, so that means we can use 16hrs basically once a week, every week. It's horse pooh pooh, but it's legit.

So i guess we have no choice. Damn. Well at least I now know im not breaking the law. Our safety guy is Ralph Cartrite. Im just tired of working all these hours. $80k a year is great but its like im paying child support and alimony. I never see my wife and kids but 30 minutes in the morning and about an hour when I get up for dinner. I cant afford to work in the city or i would be there. Im fine with 10 to 12 hours a night. 13, 14 and once a week 15+ im not! Im just getting my ducks in a row and Conway can shove it!

80? That aint working. you need to get that to 93.

j/k be safe out there.

Safety is our number one core principle.
You should be well-rested when you come to work.
The following is a little arithmetic...
24 hours in the day, minus 16 hours logged, minus 1 hour round trip commute to work, minus 1 hour miscellaneous wait for loads/truck/lineup/:08 punch.
This leaves the average driver 6 hours to tend to family/home matters, get a meal, clean up, get to bed, awaken, get dressed for work, and get another meal at home before leaving for work.
Remember, "safety is our number one core principle".
insanity
noun
1 : mental illness, madness, dementia; lunacy, instability; mania, psychosis;
2 : folly, foolishness, madness, idiocy, stupidity, lunacy, silliness;

So... what did you think when we only needed 8 hrs off? Would be on the top line and still on the dock to save time to get home?

So... what did you think when we only needed 8 hrs off? Would be on the top line and still on the dock to save time to get home?

I thought 8 hours off was idiotic as well. OTR, maybe. You step 3 feet back, you're in bed. No commute, etc...
You can't run people to the limit every single day and expect to get well-rested, clear-thinking, safe-working employees.

Boy when you are right, you are right

this is exactly right. the 16 hr rule is not intended to move freight it reserved for adverse conditions ONLY. we had the same situation and was easily resolved with one call.

this is exactly right. the 16 hr rule is not intended to move freight it reserved for adverse conditions ONLY. we had the same situation and was easily resolved with one call.

Wrong, that is a separate 16 hour rule for adverse conditions. There is also a 16 hour rule for short haul.