FedEx Freight | What kind of example is this ?

WRONGWAY

TB Lurker
Credits
So, a driver is smoking in his truck and went to toss it out the window and the cigarette goes back inside the cab and catches the driver door on fire. What kind of example is this to break more than one company policy and just walk away with a five day suspension ? Now, I don't want to see anybody lose their job, but I also don't agree with the lack of disipline this company has for major and minor offenses. I don't have all the facts to this story so I should'nt be saying anything in the first place, but I just wonder how the company can have a certin standard of policy and no enforcement on anything. Everyday and night I see more people with the "I DON'T CARE" attitude and you just have to wonder how can people go to work like this.

Our SCM flat out said if 2 drivers share the truck and smoke he didn't care. Just roll the window down. Problem is here every day different truck. But they have been given the ok to smoke.

So, a driver is smoking in his truck and went to toss it out the window and the cigarette goes back inside the cab and catches the driver door on fire. What kind of example is this to break more than one company policy and just walk away with a five day suspension ? Now, I don't want to see anybody lose their job, but I also don't agree with the lack of disipline this company has for major and minor offenses. I don't have all the facts to this story so I should'nt be saying anything in the first place, but I just wonder how the company can have a certin standard of policy and no enforcement on anything. Everyday and night I see more people with the "I DON'T CARE" attitude and you just have to wonder how can people go to work like this.

5 days off with no pay has to put a hurting on the mans wallet and family. I am sure he may learn a very hard lesson from this. If it happens again I am sure he might get more than 5 days off. It will prob be a permanent vacation. Company policy says no smoking in the truck period, but if you have a manager telling you it's OK then he should be written up too 5 days off with no pay. It's sad that a red shirt would even tell a driver its OK if you both smoke.

Everyday and night I see more people with the "I DON'T CARE" attitude and you just have to wonder how can people go to work like this.

the us versus them mentality has taken its its toll...

this is what FedEx wanted... not us

This policy is a JOKE.We have 3 guys in our yard that smoke and was told that they had too be caught or picture taken.Never mind the cigarette burns on the sterring wheels of the new volvos.They will never enforce this policy,so why even have it.

Apparently none of you have been able to discern this drivers cry for help. His intent was to smoke then toss the cigarette then coax it back into the truck thereby causing a fire. He would then die a slow agonizing fiery death. Clearly he took the five days off to reflect upon and revise his plan. Next time he's going to use an exploding cigar and a blow torch.

It's not worth the chance of getting caught smoking in the truck, so I just buy Tobacco scented air freshner to **** you complainers off.:guiness::hysterical:

Being a former smoker I can understand to an extent what it is like to not be allowed to smoke in the truck. With that being said, as long as I can't smell it or have to look at the ashes I'm ok with it but I'm pretty sure that would be very difficult to attain that level of perfection for me

I am an ex-smoker and it doesn't bother me if someone burns one in my ride. My last 4 slipseat drivers have all been smokers. But the whiners are always dragging my OPS mgr. out to take pics of ashes on the floor of a tractor. If you are so offended by smoking you should go all the way and contact an attorney and force the policy to be enforced, or you could just grow up and act like a man. Put up or Shut up.

I am an ex-smoker and it doesn't bother me if someone burns one in my ride. My last 4 slipseat drivers have all been smokers. But the whiners are always dragging my OPS mgr. out to take pics of ashes on the floor of a tractor. If you are so offended by smoking you should go all the way and contact an attorney and force the policy to be enforced, or you could just grow up and act like a man. Put up or Shut up.

Chin up mate! I love you man!

POPCORN said:

Thank god someone with a ***** posted.
My city guy smokes some days it's strong but this guy has the truck detailed to the hilt to the point I'm the pig. I keep a vey clean ride so this is how clean the dude is. Do I say a word ? Hell no.
I have asthma and am allergic to cig smoke but if it's " stuffy " I crack the window and after a few miles I'm fine. I would rather deal with some smoke smell than some of the other bullshit I could have to deal with. Also if I wanted to own a truck and have a smoke free world there are plenty of truck dealers full of trucks I could go regretfully own.
Those city guys deal with too much bs to have to listen to a bunch o crybabies. Same thing for road guys. Sitting on your ass hours on end. Go ahead have a smoke. Just don't be a pig about it.

So a smoker that says screw you,Ill smoke if I want is a stud hero but a guy that says hell no is just a whiner? I bet you big tough guys would feel like idiots if you lost your job over something so petty.

Thank god someone with a ***** posted.
Also if I wanted to own a truck and have a smoke free world there are plenty of truck dealers full of trucks I could go regretfully own.

You should try that. (Owning a truck, not the *****) (Really, I thought I deleted the ***** part... I'll just leave it in there, it's funnier that way)

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting back to the point there alot of things drivers getting away with here from what I've seen. But I'm no finger pointer just as long as it don't come between me and my safety

So a smoker that says screw you,Ill smoke if I want is a stud hero but a guy that says hell no is just a whiner? I bet you big tough guys would feel like idiots if you lost your job over something so petty.

Is this really how you feel? If So, you should follow the advice I have previously posted... Contact a Civil Rights Attorney and state your case. Or, you could just be a man and talk to the problem driver, man to man: not with a threat of further company action. I am not a a Big Tough Guy but I do live in the Real World not the faux politically correct world of soft mealy-mouthed punks who have 2 have evidence to substantiate their point to make em' strut like a "ROOSTER". We share a truck ... So We have to get along with each other. It is that Simple.

POPCORN said:
Is this really how you feel? If So, you should follow the advice I have previously posted... Contact a Civil Rights Attorney and state your case. Or, you could just be a man and talk to the problem driver, man to man: not with a threat of further company action. I am not a a Big Tough Guy but I do live in the Real World not the faux politically correct world of soft mealy-mouthed punks who have 2 have evidence to substantiate their point to make em' strut like a "ROOSTER". We share a truck ... So We have to get along with each other. It is that Simple.

Or,just dont smoke in the truck.