TForce | What the news with Indy? Any progress?

Maniac373

TB Lurker
Credits
I was told by UPS Freight management, that the Teamsters chose to try to organize the Indianapolis terminal first.

This was around June/July...

Has there been any progress either way since?

Anyone heard anything?

Maniac, The Teamsters have been certified as the barbaining agent for UPSF Indy and they are currently negotiating a contract with them.

From what I've been hearing, the contract will be equal to if not a little better to the NMFA.

The Teamster meeting I attended this summer.
The meeting leader told us just as plan as day.
That we wouldn't be able to get a contract as good as the NMFA.
This was when I started pitching a fit about that idea.
I still say we are a LTL freight company.
Whats the point of joining a union if we won't be able to have any part in the same contract as all the other Teamster freight companies?
Thats when this leader didn't want to continue on with my concerns.
Asking for other questions from the rest of my co-workers at our meeting.

I mean whats wrong with this picture?
Are we,or are we not a LTL Freight company?
Why would we want to join a union if they won't let us have what all the rest of their freight companies have in the contract thats already in place with work rules,wages,and benefits?
I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
But I for one just don't get it?
Also the other thing is UPS,and the Teamsters went to the barganing table around the first of October.
You mean to tell me a whole month has just slipped by,and theres nothing to report?
Where would any of us be if we came to work the beginning of any month,than not do one single thing that whole month.
Well I'll tell you one day maybe,but more that that you'd be on the street looking for another job.

Apostolic said:
The Teamster meeting I attended this summer.
The meeting leader told us just as plan as day.
That we wouldn't be able to get a contract as good as the NMFA.
This was when I started pitching a fit about that idea.
I still say we are a LTL freight company.
Whats the point of joining a union if we won't be able to have any part in the same contract as all the other Teamster freight companies?
Thats when this leader didn't want to continue on with my concerns.
Asking for other questions from the rest of my co-workers at our meeting.

I mean whats wrong with this picture?
Are we,or are we not a LTL Freight company?
Why would we want to join a union if they won't let us have what all the rest of their freight companies have in the contract thats already in place with work rules,wages,and benefits?
I know I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
But I for one just don't get it?

Apostolic, try not to draw any conclusions till everything is said and done and presented to the workers in INDY.

There are only a handful of people that may have an idea what the final contract will look like and none of them will post that information here.

Well its a real bummer just hanging out on the porch with nothing other than the fact that representatives of both partys have gone to the table.

We've just received our benefits package in the mail.
After the thrid quarter of every year we've been told not only about our benefits but also what our pay raise would be.

We've got the benefits,with no other information of anyother economic value.

It just would be good if we could have some information for our future.

But hey if this is how UPS does things who am I as only one of their many workers to be so nosy?

Apostolic said:
Well its a real bummer just hanging out on the porch with nothing other than the fact that representatives of both partys have gone to the table.

After the thrid quarter of every year we've been told not only about our benefits but also what our pay raise would be.

But hey if this is how UPS does things who am I as only one of their many workers to be so nosy?

A, neither side will want details leaked out before the negotiations are done.

I wish I could give you the information you are looking for but it's just not possible. Have some faith in the process and let things run their course.

Just curious. How long were you expecting this whole process to take?

I haven't got a clue?
I was hoping we'd at least hear something by now.

I know it didn't seem very long to come up with contract proposals and have everything in place for a vote when I was in the Teamsters.

This is off the thread topic CFer,but how is it you can read my posts,and answer them so fast?
Its magical.

Back on track,I guess being an old guy like me.
I'm not sure how much longer I'll want to stay in this business?
Having some information on the future of UPS Freight would be nice to help me make up my mind,to stick it out ,or pull up steaks and retire.

Apostolic said:
This is off the thread topic CFer,but how is it you can read my posts,and answer them so fast?
Its magical.

I guess I just happened to see them right after you posted it

So do you see where I'm coming from CFer?
If your young you've got a life time to look forward to but when you get over the hill even if you enjoy your job.
You want to know if it will be worth staying,or hanging up the old steering wheel,to cash in on your retirement.

Apostolic said:

Apostolic, remember the old saying "Good things are worth waiting for". Like CFer says give it some time and be patient. During negotiations there are things offered and taken away almost every time they meet. If they told that something was there and then it wasn't, it would be even more upsetting to all people involved. They have to get something for everybody and that can take a while to do. When they get something to offer the members they will let them know. Believe me they want to get it over with A.S.A.P. and get on to the next terminal, until all of UPSF is covered. Good luck in your future.

Apostolic said:
So do you see where I'm coming from CFer?
If your young you've got a life time to look forward to but when you get over the hill even if you enjoy your job.
You want to know if it will be worth staying,or hanging up the old steering wheel,to cash in on your retirement.

I fully understand what you're saying Apostolic.

You're one of the employees in a tough spot due to your personal situation that would benefit knowing more sooner than later what's going on. Unfortunalty, there will be nothing but rumors about the contract till the negotiations are over. Nobody can change that fact

Johnnybegood said:
Seems to me they might be having problems .....UPS will not let the Teamsters push them around this time to important........

JBG, how long do you feel it sould take to negotiate a new contract?

You have to remember that hundreds of pages of proposals and language are beeing looked at.
These things take time.

Just like the world we live in today, everyone wants things fast, now !
We have drive thru fast meal places, so you can eat and drive at the same time. Why wait ?
High speed internet because we don't have the patience for the pages to load.
The list goes on .... but can people really expect to negotiate a complex contract in a few weeks or months. The NMFC is hundreds of pages long and involves almost every aspect of your working conditions. These items must all be addressed and put to paper.
Give the negotiating team time ... and patience so they can work out the best contract for both sides.

Sit back, Relax and watch the show. If we are lucky we might see a contract in the spring of 2007 it will take as long as ups wants it to take.

well the way I see this whole contract issue is.
If we were just to get into the NMFA in the first place it would of been just a few local amedments to bring on board.
With a vote for yes,or no.
We've been rebranded UPS freight for 6 months.
By now we would have all been either Teamsters, or remained non-union.
All the guess work would of already been over.
The way the Teamsters are doing it now it may take well into next year before anything is setteled?

On Oct the 11 there were more talks. The talks were about NON- ECONOMIC ISSUES.
Talks of wages. Benifits, working conditions

Apostolic said:
The way the Teamsters are doing it now it may take well into next year before anything is setteled?

Apostolic, this has nothing to do with the way the Teamsters are doing it. This is how any negotations work. It's a back and forth process which takes time.

Personally, I would not want to work under a contract that was negotiated in a short amount of time. Both sides are taking the time to make this contract work for everyone involved. It starts with proposals then moves onto negotiations. You guys are starting with a blank page and have to negotiate every single article and every single proposal. It can't happen fast

I just don't understand the lack of patience in wanting to get this contract wrapped up so fast.