XPO | whine-haul

snafu_12

TB Lurker
Credits
I started with con-way in 2000 as a driver, went through the flex board as everybody before me did. within a year had a bid start time on p&d then linehaul. after 4 years i was promoted to an f.o.s. and have been for 3 years. I have over 27 years in the trucking industry and have never been more happy to work for a company that pays drivers and management as well as conway does. yes, as with any company there are moral issues and people not happy with policies and procedures. If not for these procedures we would be like every other trucking company in the U.S...and according to Fortune magazine...Conway is the most admired trucking company in the business...thanks to being a well managed company.
"rules are rules for a reason" without them there would be total chaos.
95% of the hits on this web site are from unhappy linehaul drivers who need to throw the c.b. out the window and perform their duties in the prescribed manner or seek employment elsewhere. You are not handcuffed to the steeringwheel. Moral starts with you.

:chairshot: morale also starts with white shirts also. but if you are lied to,watch as the chosen ones who milk the clock but dont do anything because mgmt thinks they are cool, be lied to your face, i could go on and on. i am not line-haul, but one who observes and listens. a lot of mgmt dont know their a.. from a hole in the ground. i have been in mgmt before for many years. i know what i am talking about:toxic:

there is no con-way employee hand book that has company policy and procedure in it no where on earth. the "rules" are made up as they go along its something diffrent every day depending on the sitiuation. if this company wants better moral why dont they give us all a copy of policy and procedure so we know where we as employees stand with the company. they only tell you whats against company policy after the fact. i will say this the attendence policy that was posted at the service centers my SCM took it upon himself to give us each a copy. i am not sure if any other terminal manger done the same thing and if so great. communication is one of the many keys to success. but most of all we need to know where we stand with the company and they should know where they stand with us the employee.

OK mr Smarty pants.....

I started with con-way in 2000 as a driver, went through the flex board as everybody before me did. within a year had a bid start time on p&d then linehaul. after 4 years i was promoted to an f.o.s. and have been for 3 years. I have over 27 years in the trucking industry and have never been more happy to work for a company that pays drivers and management as well as conway does. yes, as with any company there are moral issues and people not happy with policies and procedures. If not for these procedures we would be like every other trucking company in the U.S...and according to Fortune magazine...Conway is the most admired trucking company in the business...thanks to being a well managed company.
95% of the hits on this web site are from unhappy linehaul drivers who need to throw the c.b. out the window and perform their duties in the prescribed manner or seek employment elsewhere. You are not handcuffed to the steeringwheel. Moral starts with you.

First things first......It's MORALE not moral. Moral is the singular of morals, which of course is the basis of INTEGRITY.
Morale is the general feeling or attitude about your environment, or in this case the institution we all belong to as a group, Con-way freight.
Secondly, Fortune 500 rates management on the monetary performance. Con-way is admired for it's ability to make money, not manage people. The esprit de corps or morale, is directly impacted by management and their ability, or lack there of, to mange people. Unforunately, the needle points to the latter in this case. With con-way it's all about the benjamins, and anything else is lip service or compliance. I do not feel valued as an employee. I feel as though I am expendable, just a warm body in a seat. Yes I am offered good pay and benefits, but those are in place to keep me coming back and not go shopping for another seat to fill. Morale sucks here because of the way we are treated here. The rules change daily, or at least the interpretation does. I've said it before and I'll say it again. It starts at the top and trickles down. When I attended the Primary leadership development course in the Army, they stated that leadership is shown by example. Trust is earned and not given. Respect is commanded rather than demanded. Don't tell me what to do, show me. Don't ask me to do anything you wouldn't do or haven't done. Treat me fair, lead by example, and I'll follow you into a burning building. Do anything else and I'll lock you in there. enough of my ranting.

have a SAFE day!

there is no con-way employee hand book that has company policy and procedure in it no where on earth. the "rules" are made up as they go along its something diffrent every day depending on the sitiuation. if this company wants better moral why dont they give us all a copy of policy and procedure so we know where we as employees stand with the company. they only tell you whats against company policy after the fact. i will say this the attendence policy that was posted at the service centers my SCM took it upon himself to give us each a copy. i am not sure if any other terminal manger done the same thing and if so great. communication is one of the many keys to success. but most of all we need to know where we stand with the company and they should know where they stand with us the employee.

100% correct. The only handbook drivers get is the Benefits Handbook.

The PP&P used to be a binder held at the local terminal but they were always updating things in it and it became costly to send out copies. Plus certain untrustable Crystal Palace pawns were making copies and giving them to their buddies. :hide: :biglaugh:

About changing/updating things in it?:
PP&P are unilateral rather than contractual, they have the right to apply, modify,revise or delete any policy or procedure as it deems necessary or appropriate, at any time , with or without notice.
I am sure they will not change things without their attorney's blessing.

However, as stated by many members and salaried personnel in here. It is now located on the Con-way navigator intranet area (With certain salaried approved to access it) where it can be viewed by the driver at the watchful untrusting eyes of your SCM!

Each employee has the right to review the PP&P site by request to his/her SCM. The manager is to be present when these policies are reviewed so they can answer any questions that arise or direct them to the proper personnel who can furthur clarify.

Question is, do you have the balls to actually request to see the site? Will the SCM intimidate them from actually viewing the site?
If any of you are curious to any policy...Don't be affraid or feel imtimidated and demand to see it. It's your right!
Write down your policy questions and get the SCM to answer them verbatim, write his answer down for future use. Go back a week or two or three later and ask to see the site. See if your SCM was spot-on or if he was tweaking the policy.

I bet a memo comes out now to advise the SCM to reference the PP&P site prior to blurting out an answer.
The unskilled SCM will say, "Good question my slave driver! Let me research it and get back to you" Than he will sneak back into his cove, close the door and call G.O or search frantically for an answer.

The new attendance policy was posted and to stay posted behind glass. Your SCM went above and beyond his call of duty to supply each of you with the employee friendly version of this policy. He also wasted money and trees.:biglaugh: :smilie_132:

Your from Alaskla. What other jobs are there? Fishing?

There is policy and procedure and then there are methods of operation. It is a well know fact that people get fired everyday for not following the company's methods. UPS as a corporation has used this as a tool to weed out the least of the best for years. It's not that you did it right or wrong, you did not do it the way we want it done. The company "methods" are their policy interpretations at any given moment. This is what changes and is what drivers perceive as "favoritism" or selected enforcement of policy.
I do agree that there is a lot of C.L.S. on these boards (Chicken Little Syndrome). But if you are going to discuss morale then you must include motivation. And motivation has two parts, a person's personality and the situation in which they find themselves. As a supervisor I am sure that given any situation, you have seen a variety of reactions from your drivers. This is their personality reacting to the situation. But as a supervisor you will have little luck in changing anyone's personality. If 95% of the hits on this site are negative from linehaul drivers, then you should consider the situation that produces that level of morale, not the variance of personalities within those drivers.

Sanfu 12, is it your personality or a specific situation that has motivated you to join the boards, making your first post a negative one attacking your fellow employees?

There is policy and procedure and then there are methods of operation. It is a well know fact that people get fired everyday for not following the company's methods. UPS as a corporation has used this as a tool to weed out the least of the best for years. It's not that you did it right or wrong, you did not do it the way we want it done. The company "methods" are their policy interpretations at any given moment. This is what changes and is what drivers perceive as "favoritism" or selected enforcement of policy.
I do agree that there is a lot of C.L.S. on these boards (Chicken Little Syndrome). But if you are going to discuss morale then you must include motivation. And motivation has two parts, a person's personality and the situation in which they find themselves. As a supervisor I am sure that given any situation, you have seen a variety of reactions from your drivers. This is their personality reacting to the situation. But as a supervisor you will have little luck in changing anyone's personality. If 95% of the hits on this site are negative from linehaul drivers, then you should consider the situation that produces that level of morale, not the variance of personalities within those drivers.

Sanfu 12, is it your personality or a specific situation that has motivated you to join the boards, making your first post a negative one attacking your fellow employees?

Great post! I just knew you would chime in on this one! Expecially the area of the quote I BOLDED:1036316054:

most supervisors that work with conway have no experience in the trucking industry. most, try to intidate the drivers, cause they have the white shirt. since marty has come to lda he has change some of the attitudes of supervision. i feel confident that i can get the answers from him within a reasonable amount of time. you have to remember they have jobs to do also and a little consideration goes a long way.

my morale is good. i do have my moments and rant and rave. you have to protect your self at all times. in other words "DO YOUR JOB, THAT'S ALL". the slackers watch out. you could lose your job.

team lda is strong. we do our job better han most. when we mess up, they point it out and we fix the problem. lda will be better with mary, like him or not. he will help take us to the next level.

Have you ever considered an open or closed door discussion with your supervisor or manager? conway has an open door policy and a chain of command that is available 24/7.
Disgruntled workers make themselves and others more liable to poor morale than they realize. Take a few minutes to think about what you are capable of and implement it.
Come to work every day with a possitive attitude and you will make life better for yourself and your co-workers.

I wish to remain anomomous, I am not from Alaska but have always wanted to visit there.
ya, there are other jobs available there. (ICE TRUCKING)

I admire your spelling abilities and your opinions and agree with your Neopolic tactics. I am also an ex-military person with combat experience. It is also my belief that leadership starts from the top. If we allow our personell to do whatever they think is the right thing to do, there is no need for leadership. If everybody comes to work everyday with a possitive attitude and a means to solve issues rather than create them this would be the best company in the world to work for. A 5 minute disscusion with a responsible supervisor or manager can and will solve most issues rather than take advise from a disgruntled employee. Conway has an open/closed door policy which is avavilable 24/7. You also have a safe day. Thanx.

I am not from Alaska but always wanted to visit. Ya, there are other jobs available there, (ICE TRUCKING), I want to remain anonomous thanks.

snafu_12 said:

snafu_12 said:
I wish to remain anomomous, I am not from Alaska but have always wanted to visit there.
ya, there are other jobs available there. (ICE TRUCKING)

snafu_12 said:
I am not from Alaska and wish to remain anonimous. Ya, there are other jobs available there, (ICE TRUCKING)

snafu_12 said:
I am not from Alaska but always wanted to visit. Ya, there are other jobs available there, (ICE TRUCKING), I want to remain anonomous thanks.

Anonymous
a·non·y·mous
adj.
1. Having an unknown or unacknowledged name: an anonymous author.
2. Having an unknown or withheld authorship or agency: an anonymous letter; an anonymous phone call.
3. Having no distinctive character or recognition factor: “a very great, almost anonymous center of people who just want peace”

4. Having already told truckingboard members his claim to fame and using Alaska as a front while giving the word anonymous many different spellings.

That whole topic just made my day!:1036316054:

I admire your spelling abilities and your opinions and agree with your Neopolic tactics. I am also an ex-military person with combat experience. It is also my belief that leadership starts from the top. If we allow our personell to do whatever they think is the right thing to do, there is no need for leadership. If everybody comes to work everyday with a possitive attitude and a means to solve issues rather than create them this would be the best company in the world to work for. A 5 minute disscusion with a responsible supervisor or manager can and will solve most issues rather than take advise from a disgruntled employee. Conway has an open/closed door policy which is avavilable 24/7. You also have a safe day. Thanx.

They want this info. to discredit you from the start.... to acknowledge you were a victim would be an admission of guilt. They neglect to provide a working environment where abuses do not occur. they put the witness or victim on trial. They respond with telling you, you can not prove what has happened to you rather than say we can not have this.....their handling of some cases and their neglect has caused retailiation to the victim and has made it impossible for those working in hostile conditions to come forward again. Thier words and personnel policies meet criteria and create an image. But the image is false, and those who have experienced this from the top are left feeling helpless.......:hide:

Anonymous
a·non·y·mous
adj.
1. Having an unknown or unacknowledged name: an anonymous author.
2. Having an unknown or withheld authorship or agency: an anonymous letter; an anonymous phone call.
3. Having no distinctive character or recognition factor: “a very great, almost anonymous center of people who just want peace”

4. Having already told truckingboard members his claim to fame and using Alaska as a front while giving the word anonymous many different spellings.

That whole topic just made my day!:1036316054:
Yes it would appear this is one of the brighter stars on team management! Why would I throw away my CB? It comes in handy for all that P*ssing and moaning just like the boards do. Some management forms here like to rule with an iron fist, and that`s fine, but..... YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM, NOT THE SOLUTION, GET IT STRAIGHT OR GO LOOK FOR WORK ELSEWHERE! Now do you see how stupid that sounds? How about not giving us anything to b*tch about, and that would include hits on our bennys? I guess that`s too much to ask for here, So the ranting will probably continue. ( that`s just a thought)

Snafu, you fail to realize why there are bad attitudes and low moral. All the company has done since I have been here since 99 is take,take,take. You say you are a FOS. When was the last time you told a driver thankyou or good job. Everyone in management forgot how to do that. Driver App. week was a real joke wasn't it. I also don't like getting lied to all of the time. You also said " If everyone would come in with a positive attitude and a means to solve issues......" Well I have a real PROBLEM with that. Its hard to have a good attitude when the mangment don't give you a reason to have a good attitude. When a TM hides in his office and don't want to deal with problems.Management middle or upper treating thier employees like children, with total disregaurd of respect and dignity. Management wants to preach thier "Con-Way Constitution" and they can't even follow it themselves. Let alone even sign it this year. Oh, by the way, I am looking for another job. I feel that this is going to be another CF. Managment is milking the company dry for everything they can. History repeates itself. CF Con-way. Same managment different name. I'm sure i'm not done ,more to come later

Snafu, you fail to realize why there are bad attitudes and low moral. All the company has done since I have been here since 99 is take,take,take. You say you are a FOS. When was the last time you told a driver thankyou or good job. Everyone in management forgot how to do that. Driver App. week was a real joke wasn't it. I also don't like getting lied to all of the time. You also said " If everyone would come in with a positive attitude and a means to solve issues......" Well I have a real PROBLEM with that. Its hard to have a good attitude when the mangment don't give you a reason to have a good attitude. When a TM hides in his office and don't want to deal with problems.Management middle or upper treating thier employees like children, with total disregaurd of respect and dignity. Management wants to preach thier "Con-Way Constitution" and they can't even follow it themselves. Let alone even sign it this year. Oh, by the way, I am looking for another job. I feel that this is going to be another CF. Managment is milking the company dry for everything they can. History repeates itself. CF Con-way. Same managment different name. I'm sure i'm not done ,more to come later

I give star cards and pats on the back everyday. i make it a point to appreciate a job well done, always. and some of the drivers don't appreciate the fact that I do acknowledge their performance in a positive way. I still go to work everyday with a good attitude and if everyone did the same, things would flow so much easier. Try it...it works. and if your tm avoids issues....go to the next level, follow the chain of command, and atleast try to be a part of the solution, not the problem by spreading negativity and hostility.