XPO | Who here works for Con-Way Freight in California?

LITTLEB23

TB Lurker
Credits
I heard from a buddy who works for Con-Way in Hayward, Ca that all their trucks don't have split-shift transmissions, he said they're all 6 or 7 speeds with no hi or low range. Does anybody who works for Con-Way know if this is true? I asked him repeatedly and he said yea they're all with no split-shifts(hi/low range selectors). Anyway respond back and let me know if its like that and how many gears the transmissions have and how many your truck has if you work for Con-Way or anybody else if u wanna respond.

Yes they are all 7 speed transmissions. No splitters. But i have heard that they are no longer going to build these trannies so conway is supposed to be going to the popular 10 speed with a splitter. Could be a rumor though.

That's Crazy

That's crazy so there's hella Class A Drivers at that company who've never driven a splitter. My friend worked on the dock there then got trained to drive tractor-trailors and he said they trained him for 3 months to get his license. Anyway that's crazy that tehy don't have splitters i wasn't sure if it was just his branch or the whole company.

Yea im a rookie but whatever you have to start somewhere. But i drive an 8-speed Concrete Mixer and Concrete mixers are one of the most heaviest trucks on the road (and we don't have jake brakes to slow us down like a lot of Tractor-Trailers. So aleast im getting some exp.

yeh uptil now thats all conway had is 7 speed gearboxes but now their starting to put 10 speeds in the 3 axle daytrucks behind those 430 detroits they told me the next time my tractor goes in for service their changing the trans to 10 speed

Seven speeds is the norm for Conway, I heard that we are going to 10 speeds next year also, I hope its true because I dont really care for the 7 speed. It's very limiting on the hills.

10 speeds

they have already started putting 10 speeds in the newer 3 axle.day trucks i know of 2 of them at least both are in usu <salt lake city>.

so you guys in southern and central have 10 speed with splitters...crazy i didtn know that out here in so-cal ive only driven 7 speed...some 6 speed in the city...

i myself have no problem driving 10 speed because ive done it before it's a piece of cake, but i know alot of ppl who would have problems with it for the first time i myself would probably miss a gear or 2 cuz of not being accustomed to it, but it's easy to learn and if someone just shows the guys who dont know how to do it instead of jeering them about being rookies then everything would be fine...
...it's ppl like that who **** me off in all the trucking companies ive worked for...you know who im talking about the big strapper 10-20 year veteran who knows it all and criticizes everyone but he's always got a great excuse when he ****s up sorry *** who'll acts irritated or something if he's asked by a farily new guy how to do a certain task.......
...as if he came on this job and day one knew everything right away....

so you guys in southern and central have 10 speed with splitters...crazy i didtn know that out here in so-cal ive only driven 7 speed...some 6 speed in the city...

i myself have no problem driving 10 speed because ive done it before it's a piece of cake, but i know alot of ppl who would have problems with it for the first time i myself would probably miss a gear or 2 cuz of not being accustomed to it, but it's easy to learn and if someone just shows the guys who dont know how to do it instead of jeering them about being rookies then everything would be fine...
...it's ppl like that who **** me off in all the trucking companies ive worked for...you know who im talking about the big strapper 10-20 year veteran who knows it all and criticizes everyone but he's always got a great excuse when he ****s up sorry *** who'll acts irritated or something if he's asked by a farily new guy how to do a certain task.......
...as if he came on this job and day one knew everything right away....

Wow. All that for calling you a rookie. Lighten up. I have never been called a bug strapper.
But it sounds nice.