FedEx Freight | Who makes more city or road?

City driver would gross around $2100 for 56 hours depending on what Market Level they are paid at. Almost no City drivers get anywhere near that many hours, and a lot of them get closer to 40 hours a week. The pay for 40 hours is only around $1300.

City driver would gross around $2100 for 56 hours depending on what Market Level they are paid at. Almost no City drivers get anywhere near that many hours, and a lot of them get closer to 40 hours a week. The pay for 40 hours is only around $1300.
well then we would gross out more than that then with 5 fuels and 5 H D & TO but not as much as someone would expect.

Call 56 hours a week 11 hours a day. We'll assume the road driver takes 30 minutes to hook, 30 to drop and 15 to fuel. That leaves 8 hours and 45 minutes for driving. We'll call that 560 miles. That run will pay (after the raise at C level) $513.55. For a week plus an hour delay (to make it 56) gross will be $2,601.86.

For 56 hours a City driver will make $2,183.04.

Call 56 hours a week 11 hours a day. We'll assume the road driver takes 30 minutes to hook, 30 to drop and 15 to fuel. That leaves 8 hours and 45 minutes for driving. We'll call that 560 miles. That run will pay (after the raise at C level) $513.55. For a week plus an hour delay (to make it 56) gross will be $2,601.86.

:usa: as always , Thank you S69.

56 hours at my terminal for a city driver is only $2119.68. We are at next to bottom GPD market level.

On average, a city guy at the bottom scale is around $70k yr.
My old terminal didn't have a road run that didn't pay less than $93k yr.
This was 6+yrs ago before I left Fx.

Also, the BEST road run was well over $105k yr.
Way above the highest paid city guy.

There's rarely a situation where a city guy will best a road guy, assuming both are working 5 days a week. It's eaisly a $10,000yr difference on the low end, and $25,000 on the top end.

I spent over 13 years in the city. City is more manual labor. Road is more mental stress and no guarantee to get home. Both have their perks and draw backs. Both are vital to the operation.

To me road was always a promotion with a catch. You make more money, but you gotta go to nights when you start and no guarantee when you will get days. Also I never had to get a hotel if I broke down in the city.

Every bid I've ever had was 10+ hours no matter if we were busy or slow. If you wanna run the 600 mile runs be prepared for 12-14 hours a day. No home life and health problems later in life..

But city and shuttle drivers are better looking guys for all hours though.

I spent over 13 years in the city. City is more manual labor. Road is more mental stress and no guarantee to get home. Both have their perks and draw backs. Both are vital to the operation.

To me road was always a promotion with a catch. You make more money, but you gotta go to nights when you start and no guarantee when you will get days. Also I never had to get a hotel if I broke down in the city.

Every bid I've ever had was 10+ hours no matter if we were busy or slow. If you wanna run the 600 mile runs be prepared for 12-14 hours a day. No home life and health problems later in life..
600 miles a week is enough for me.

Last edited:
CHS has city guys that make 100K +...all the OT they want and weekend road runs
Asking for a friend .Are they part of the round mouth club or is it the overtime done correctly by seniority? If our center has that situation one if you are snitches or do anything unsafe to make pu or del after other drivers refuse it you rise to top of ot list . And the excuse we get is we didn’t think you would do it