Yellow | Wondering what people are doing after the bankruptcy

For those that went thru the bankruptcy...What are you doing now?

• Unemployment

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Driving Truck or other LTL work

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Retraining/School

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Put in for retirement

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Another union job

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Something completely different

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
Well, you're probably going to be sorry you asked, but here goes. After watching some programs about Lewis and Clark and their exploration and mapping of the western US I became curious about how they were able to do that. I learned they used a sextant among other devices. Having wondered how sextants operate, I did a little research on the Internet and then (naturally for me anyway) had to have one and purchased a Davis Mark 15 sextant which just arrived an hour ago. So for the foreseeable future I'll be playing with my new toy and learning how to use it. It will join the surveying transit I bought a year or so ago as my location/mapping toys. What can I say, I have this anal curiosity about how things work and then have to have one (when reasonably possible). :smile new:

Last edited:
Well, you're probably going to be sorry you asked, but here goes. After watching some programs about Lewis and Clark and their exploration and mapping of the western US I became curious about how they were able to do that. I learned they uses a sextant among other devices. Having wondered how sextants operate, I did a little research on the Internet and then (naturally for me anyway) had to have one and purchased a Davis Mark 15 sextant which just arrived an hour ago. So for the foreseeable future I'll be playing with my new toy and learning how to use it. It will join the surveying transit I bought a year or so ago as my location/mapping toys. What can I say, I have this anal curiosity about how things work and then have to have one (when reasonably possible). :smile new:
Dude……did you really use the words “anal” and “sextant” in one post???…..:6837::growup::off topic:

Well, you're probably going to be sorry you asked, but here goes. After watching some programs about Lewis and Clark and their exploration and mapping of the western US I became curious about how they were able to do that. I learned they uses a sextant among other devices. Having wondered how sextants operate, I did a little research on the Internet and then (naturally for me anyway) had to have one and purchased a Davis Mark 15 sextant which just arrived an hour ago. So for the foreseeable future I'll be playing with my new toy and learning how to use it. It will join the surveying transit I bought a year or so ago as my location/mapping toys. What can I say, I have this anal curiosity about how things work and then have to have one (when reasonably possible). :smile new:
Tri, that sounds very interesting indeed. However, today surveying is done with a (very expensive) GPS head that is accurate within incredibly small tolerances, like small fractions of an inch. The ones I've seen in use are metric; I don't know if they also do inch-based ones.

Tri, that sounds very interesting indeed. However, today surveying is done with a (very expensive) GPS head that is accurate within incredibly small tolerances, like small fractions of an inch. The ones I've seen in use are metric; I don't know if they also do inch-based ones.
Of course RT, I'm very aware of the newer techniques. I still like knowing how to do things the tried and true ways if and when technology isn't available. When I paddle my canoe to Europe from New York I want to be able to get my position without GPS. :hysterical: :hilarious: :438:

Sextant???
Anal???
Playing with your new toy???
All in the same post???
Stimpy will have a field day with this post!!
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

He's still in shock! :17142:
He isn't the only one!!!!!
Jim Carrey Omg GIF

The current issues are the more accurate tools today do not line up well with established property lines.......................................
My buddy bought a new place and wanted to build a newer shop/garage had the surveys done and according to them half of his existing garage is on his neighbors property and half of his neighbor on the other side had his garage half way on his property........................................................township now looks at this survey as being the correct and he can't build until existing mess is settled.