FedEx Freight | worst night ever

J

junglejim

i had the worst night of driving it took me 8 hours to go 170 miles, it was a solid sheet of ice in indiana and ohio, i should have not went but i did, i get back to my yard and it is still ice jack knifed into the trailer tearing the faring off nothing i could do to stop, do you think i will get a chargeable? next time i will not go if i feel its unsafe fed ex will just have to find another way to move it or wait untill the next day

i had the worst night of driving it took me 8 hours to go 170 miles, it was a solid sheet of ice in indiana and ohio, i should have not went but i did, i get back to my yard and it is still ice jack knifed into the trailer tearing the faring off nothing i could do to stop, do you think i will get a chargeable? next time i will not go if i feel its unsafe fed ex will just have to find another way to move it or wait untill the next day

Remember if you leave and make an attempt and YOU decide the roads are unsafe then there is NOTHING the company can do to you! With that said I wouldn't try it habitually only when road conditions warrant a turn around. I would say last night would qualify as a turn around condition!

As far as the fairing goes probably so for the chargeable but hopefully not for your sake and considering the conditions last night!.

If it's bad, turn around and go back. They closed the bridge where Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio meet. Solid sheet of ice. People sat for 7 or more hours. One of the guys my husband works with told him this morning that he was done with his route at 3pm. Sat on that on ramp for three hours and still didn't make it home until 10:30 last night. Thank goodness my husband was done at 1pm. He went to the store after he got home, did a 360 on the ice in my jeep. I went out about 6:30 last night. Slid right down my steps on my behind. Now my hind cheek looks like some one beat my a$$, literally! It took 4 tries for me to get in my driveway. Couldn't go to fast cuz when I go up, I didn't want to slide down into the garage door and into my husbands other baby. When I slowed down, I just slid sideways. Please, next time, take the truck back. It's just not worth it.

Appeal process

Yes, they will most likely charge you for it. FIGHT IT!!! There is an appeal process. If that happened on the yard, they should have safe working conditions for us if they expect us to work. Was the crew they have contracted not doing there job with all that equipment they keep on the premises?

Like I said FIGHT IT!!

I got a chargeable years ago, fought it for a year and a 1/2, before they finally said it was an incident.

THEY WON'T LAY DOWN EASILY, DON'T STOP FIGHTING IT.:1036316054:

The bottom line is you are home safe for your loved ones.

You can always fight the chargeable and next time don't go.

Glad you are home safe and with us here. / Smokestack

YOU CANNOT turn around and go back without contacting central, if you do not contact central you can be fired
I say 99% chance you will get a chargeable

Yes, my cousin is a driver. He said when it's too bad, call them and tell them you can't move and then go back.

if you can't move how can you go back?

If it's that bad Central will tell you to find a motel

True, but what they actually do is don't go far from the terminal, call them and tell them it's bad and some roads are not passable and then he goes back. I'm sure lots of people were in motels last night. When my husband went to work this morning, the stretch of highway were the bridge that was closed for quite a while last night, was lined up with cars that slid off the road. The news interviewed people stuck in there cars that were going to a motel as soon as they were able to move. The ice just kind of snuck up on us here yesterday. My husband was short 40 deliveries yesterday due to a truck that was stuck in Cleveland. Everyone truck safe out there in this winter weather.

True, but what they actually do is don't go far from the terminal, call them and tell them it's bad and some roads are not passable and then he goes back. I'm sure lots of people were in motels last night. When my husband went to work this morning, the stretch of highway were the bridge that was closed for quite a while last night, was lined up with cars that slid off the road. The news interviewed people stuck in there cars that were going to a motel as soon as they were able to move. The ice just kind of snuck up on us here yesterday. My husband was short 40 deliveries yesterday due to a truck that was stuck in Cleveland. Everyone truck safe out there in this winter weather.

If central gives you the OK to bring that unit back then fine, if you bring that unit back on your own you are toast.

Salem, OR to Portland, OR, 53 miles/ 4 hours, and this was at 22:30 ! Arrived in POR at 02:30. Ice and ruts like you wouldn't believe. Solid bumper to bumper. :TR10driving03:

Thats what they tell us.Any time now I call to let them Know Im going to a motel. I think they tell you that you have to laydown instead of going back is because some people will not laydown.

Several years ago we got stranded at the Memphis yard because management sent the dock workers home and made the shuttle drivers stay and break freight. Since everything east of Nashville wasn't coming our freight was either at the center or we were already loaded and ready to go home. We tried to leave at 4am but was called back as the bridges had been shut down due to icing. The management on duty had to try and find us a place to stay as the normal hotel was full. We ended up staying at the Motel 6 which had paper thin walls, rock hard mattresses and heaters with no thermostats. It was either turn it on or turn it off, no in between. We were finally able to leave Memphis about 2pm. Enroute back to Conway we found out that the White River bridge was frozen and trucks were scattered all over it. We jumped off and ran down I-70 in an attempt to make it back home. I-70 is about as rough in spots as I-40 is now. There is no shoulder to speak of so if you try to sight see and drive you will end up driving off the road. On the bridges meeting another big truck you just hold your breath hopeing you don't knock each others mirrors off. We did finally get back to the big road at Hazen and tried to make a beeline for Conway. When we finally did get back to the yard my center mgr at the time was laughing telling us someone was going to have to turn around and go back to Memphis that same night. I thought he had lost his mind. The senior driver in front of me beat feet for home and I was left poundering the thought of having to white knucle it back to Memphis. As much trouble as we had getting the trailers to the dock I couldn't imagine trying to get them hooked together on that frozen waste land they called a parking lot. After falling down three times attempting to hook I decided not to go. I called central and the guy gave me grief about not going. Even after I explained to him how dangerous it was just making the trip home in daylight, he insisted I give it a try. I told him if he could get the Safety man on a conference call and he said it was ok I would go. Finally after thinking it over he told me the run was cancelled. What a jerk!! If I hadn't made a stand on the issue of safety he would have had me back out there in it. The next morning on the news they showed I-40 from North Little Rock and both sides of the freeway were shut down. There were double lines on both sides of the freeway of mostly big trucks that had been out there all night. That's all fine and good if your truck will idle all night and you can stay warm. Since the mechanics will not change out the drive tires on most of the road trucks till they are slick I will not be out there attempting any feats of stupidty until they do.

We had 3 drivers get stuck in Conway Ak, They all had to be wreckered in. They all had to stay in one room, I heard a rumor that they were sleeping so close together that one of them scrathed his nuts and one of the other drivers thanked him, names are being withheld to protect the innocent.

Our SC was closed Monday. No one plowed and no one fueled. We got called in to go on our normal runs. Ther was 16 inches of snow on the ground and drifts around the equipment. Everyone had to chain to move and a couple guys had to be pulled with a tow strap to get unstuck. Took over an hour to hook an empty and go. Fun stuff.

99 percent chance that accident will be chargeable.

went through indy last night on the way to cgt,4hrs45min. my bonus for getting there safe was i got to pull 299 lbs back...atleast they let me drag one and my dollie . fortunately it was spray all the way back..

Sit three hours on I-70 East in Indiana at the 24mm, then solid sheet of ice to the 45 then alot of spray, went to Indy for the night, 13.75 hrs and still could'nt get home. It's just sad how bad these states can screw up the highway to fix one little pot hole and not do nothing in the winter and really screw us all. This is one of the few times I missed my bunk, I'd parked and sleep it off, but on the bright side I'm home and dont have to worry about my tractor or leaving christmas night to be in Cal by Mon.

In Arkansas they have a bad habit of not putting anything on the roads until it gets so slick they start having accidents and then they send the salt and sand trucks out.