XPO | XPO's World Class Status Pipe Dream

It really doesn't look good when the hazmat placards are on the wrong trailer.
Who said it's Hazmat or going to Canada? If you're opening up trailers on inbound for example , this happens plenty of times ( ghosting of freight ) Also , I wish more people with higher standards loaded trailers.

For example , stacking on hazmat an improper placards on a trailer are common now.

This company's approach to world class reminds me of McDonald's, where the actual food you're served barely resembles the perfect pictures on the menu. Take for instance the SafeStack trailers, the very heart of ZDM and world class service to our customers. How do you build tables, capable of properly securing freight when tracks are broken and beams are missing, sometimes up to half the beams are gone in a single trailer, rendering it nearly impossible to even construct a single table made of four beams "edge, center, center edge." Strap all the freight to the walls, but don't stand on forklift blades or injure yourself in the process of hanging straps high before loading, that is if you can find a decent strap nearby. Also, don't forget to at least show all the freight properly strapped at the rear of the trailer so the FOS can get a good picture, ha! Oh, but hey, let’s use ratchet straps because that's what OD does and they don't have the damage problems we have, that will solve the problem, right? Wrong. What OD also has, are trailers that are properly equipped and maintained and they pay their dock workers a decent wage to attract the best people. I've listed only a couple of examples of this company's quixotic pursuit to world class and I'm sure many of you can name more. The bottom line is, the company wants world class, but doesn't want to pay for it or do the disciplinary heavy lifting involved to make it a reality, so world class for XPO will remain only a pipe dream.
Don’t hate the player,hate the game!Xpo haters!

So last night on the FAC. I got freight in the nose of a breaker that I'm digging out. The trailer was loaded total ZDM. I'm talking this trailer could have been used for training manual pictures, it was perfect. But you know something, we don't need perfect trailers to move freight undamaged, good enough would have worked just fine. By the time I got to my freight, I had unhooked 20 straps and removed 8 airbags at a substantial cost in time and effort. You know for years and years, during the CCX and Conway days, the freight traveled just fine using less complicated loading techniques, what's changed? Why this need for an overly complicated way of securing freight? Rant over. Like anyone gives a ::shit:: about what an old school driver has to say.

Last edited:
So last night on the FAC. I got freight in the nose of a breaker that I'm digging out. The trailer was loaded total ZDM. I'm talking this trailer could have been used for training manual pictures, it was perfect. But you know something, we don't need perfect trailers to move freight undamaged, good enough would have worked just fine. By the time I got to my freight, I had unhooked 20 straps and removed 8 airbags at a substantial cost in time and effort. You know for years and years, during the CCX and Conway days, the freight traveled just fine using less complicated loading techniques, what's changed? Why this need for an overly complicated way of securing freight? Rant over. Like anyone gives a ::::shit:::: about what an old school driver has to say.
Here's my take on that. Correct me if I'm wrong but freight years ago was fingerprinted and stacked/loaded properly by hand. Now freight is mostly all on pallets and that freight is just pushed on with little or no manual handling. Those pallets are not uniform is shape/size so there's lots of room for movement. I remember when doing pickups and loading to ride was the norm. Not any more it seems. Corrections/comments??

So last night on the FAC. I got freight in the nose of a breaker that I'm digging out. The trailer was loaded total ZDM. I'm talking this trailer could have been used for training manual pictures, it was perfect. But you know something, we don't need perfect trailers to move freight undamaged, good enough would have worked just fine. By the time I got to my freight, I had unhooked 20 straps and removed 8 airbags at a substantial cost in time and effort. You know for years and years, during the CCX and Conway days, the freight traveled just fine using less complicated loading techniques, what's changed? Why this need for an overly complicated way of securing freight? Rant over. Like anyone gives a ::::shit:::: about what an old school driver has to say.
I learned from other drivers how to load correctly. Light on heavy , the high side of a trailer , how much weight to put in the nose , when to use dunnage and how to tie knots for different kinds of situations.

In my opinion , one of the main goals of switching how freight is loaded is to de-emphasize the importance of drivers and how we were taught and how we learned: Experienced taught the inexperienced.

If you an other experienced people are the ones that know how to do something right then that increases your value. The world we live in today is threatened by the thought of culture of hard working folks passing their thoughts and values to new people.

Also , a bunch of people with titles have to justify being on the payroll in my humble opinion.

Here's my take on that. Correct me if I'm wrong but freight years ago was fingerprinted and stacked/loaded properly by hand. Now freight is mostly all on pallets and that freight is just pushed on with little or no manual handling. Those pallets are not uniform is shape/size so there's lots of room for movement. I remember when doing pickups and loading to ride was the norm. Not any more it seems. Corrections/comments??
No corrections as you're right. As for off size pallets, they can be secured using straps, airbags, or dunnage walls, without strapping them to the sides of a trailer on top of a loading deck. My airbag comment in the earlier post was to note that the loader used airbags where they weren't necessary, just as they strapped freight to the walls that was floor loaded, also not necessary in most cases.

Last edited:
No corrections as you're right. As for off size pallets, they can be secured using straps, airbags, or dunnage walls, without strapping them to the sides of a trailer on top of a loading deck. My airbag comment in the earlier post was to note that the loader used airbags where they weren't necessary, just as they strapped freight to the walls that was floor loaded, also not necessary in most cases.
When I watch supervisors closing trailers , they are fearful of pictures an emails , not over freight being damaged or not secure.

The straps don't have to even be snug around the freight but they do have to be in the picture. Airbags don't have to be wedged between two pieces of freight , just there for the picture. Lots of times there are straps that go around the freight and aren't connected to a wall! They go around the freight like a belt around a waist - great for pictures!

I find it annoying too, but even if every breaker took 20% longer it’s worth it from a damage claims perspective. They don’t mind. The bigger problem is accountability. Accountability for not wasting time, not damaging our tools and equipment, and of course the freight itself.

They don’t have to de-emphasize anything, that’s just not the way the world works anymore. Experience is not valued because they know they don’t need to pay for it. Business is good (enough). They put “safety professional” on the sleeve but that’s about as far as it goes. If they really cared about professionalism, wages vs. inflation wouldn’t have stagnated, they wouldn’t throw just any warm body in the cab, and the EOL terminals would see a truck wash more than once per year. Driver from another company told me theirs get washed weekly; I laughed out loud and climbed back in my dirty million-mile ::shit:: box with rusty wheels. Sure I kept it as clean as I could but it was still a sad sight.

People don’t stay as long at jobs anymore. It’s a well-understood demographic trend by now. Part of it is personal choice and character or lack thereof, part of it is the fact that you have to to keep getting the best compensation you can. No point in sticking around 10-20+ years somewhere when you “top out” in pay after 2. After that you’re just losing ground to inflation with those shrimpy COL increases, not even true raises. Hell it chaps my ass that I’ll never see a pension check or 4, 5, 6 weeks vacation, when I know other guys have it. But what am I gonna do, cry about it? They called our collective bluff, and the doors stayed open. I like this job but it doesn’t even factor into my 10 year plan, probably not even 5. That’s why the distinction and the gap between DWs and DSRs continues to shrink, as evidenced by pay among other things.

In a few years there will be even less people left who have ever even heard of Conway, let alone worked for them. And the company is fine with that. It’s a toss up which will go first and fade into memory, the last tired old 313- pup with baby blue livery showing through the peeling white wrap, or the last weary driver with a blue shirt in the back of their closet. And so the suits and e-mails and straps and airbags and such will march on, and the freight will keep moving, and the break room monitor will proudly declare how much it celebrates this and that diverse cultural thing. Such is life.

People don’t stay as long at jobs anymore. It’s a well-understood demographic trend by now. Part of it is personal choice and character or lack thereof, part of it is the fact that you have to to keep getting the best compensation you can. No point in sticking around 10-20+ years somewhere when you “top out” in pay after 2.
What do you get for spending 20-30 yrs at XPO? Nothing just a cake and a little party and that's the same at most places.

I laughed out loud and climbed back in my dirty million-mile ::::::shit:::::: box with rusty wheels. Sure I kept it as clean as I could but it was still a sad sight.
I drove shinny wheels, but for some reason the dirty ones paid more and made paying the bill easier

I’ll never forget the time I got called into the office by our dock SME for improperly loading stacked freight. They had pictures and everything. Furthermore, they wouldn’t listen to me when I told them I loaded the freight the way it was tendered by the shipper. How did I know this? I was the one that picked it up!!!! It was light freight and the shipper stacked 3, sometimes 4 pallets on top of each other. It was a regular pick up of mine. I just happened to break my own city trailer. Some dock supervisor at the FAC got all full of himself and wrote it up, freight was not damaged, and looked exactly the way it did when I picked it up. Naturally, my explanation was not sufficient.