Yellow’s tonnage remains in free fall

Gee OD reported a 14% decrease for the same period. Maybe it's not the Teamsters Fault! Just might be their is not as much freight right now.
But their yield increased slightly and they continue to operate very profitably??
A good carrier can sustain a shortfall in business.
With customers shifting business on top of a freight drought, that could be catastrophic.
Offer the best service you can, avoid damage and treat customers well..

Trip I for one do not wish for Yellow to fail. The number of members that have been lost since Zollars went on a buying spree is truly sad. But doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results just doesn't work. Yes they have one arm tied behind their back but if Hawkins is the leader to get them out of this then he needs to step it up. Start with cleaning out his own house of unnecessary sales and management positions. Tough choices have to be made on both sides. The management needs to show they are willing to make the situation better or else 5 years from now the members will be in the same position again!
I think you are right but few good managers have any desire to work at a union carrier/company.
Thus you get stuck with sub par management with an almost impossible task to accomplish
Most decent managers have departed and what may be left are shopping their resumes.
Don't the teamsters have a seat on the Board of Directors?

I research these things more carefully than most. What you say has merit; not sure why OD is also down sharply since they've been the "Cinderella" of the LTL industry for several years. Note that ABF is slightly up, FDX, Saia and XPO are down very slightly. What is important to note I think is that Yellow's market share has been dropping like a rock for quite some time. I blame this mostly on the "glass house's" terrible decision-making, a percentage of our Teamster brothers who aren't earning their keep, and aggressive competition. We need to compete, too. Mostly, we need to clean house at corporate, send the bureaucrats who don't really accomplish anything down the road, and work really hard to recover that market share.
A reasonable conclusion, given the available facts.

Trip I for one do not wish for Yellow to fail. The number of members that have been lost since Zollars went on a buying spree is truly sad. But doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results just doesn't work. Yes they have one arm tied behind their back but if Hawkins is the leader to get them out of this then he needs to step it up. Start with cleaning out his own house of unnecessary sales and management positions. Tough choices have to be made on both sides. The management needs to show they are willing to make the situation better or else 5 years from now the members will be in the same position again!
Hawkins doesn’t run the show. Matt Doheny runs the shows. I have sat in on board of directors meetings and Matt, and only Matt calls every shot. That is a fact. Matt is a brilliant man but he isn’t a trucking guy.. He backed the wrong horse when he put Harris in the top spot. That was mistake number 1.

Hawkins doesn’t run the show. Matt Doheny runs the shows. I have sat in on board of directors meetings and Matt, and only Matt calls every shot. That is a fact. Matt is a brilliant man but he isn’t a trucking guy.. He backed the wrong horse when he put Harris in the top spot. That was mistake number 1.
Affirmative Action kills companies I see it every day at every terminal like the other day in Chicago 3 drivers being dispatched to Peoria to pickup the same load one coming from Rockford one from walmart and one of their way back from St Louis.

Of course there’s a drop.

If you send drivers home leave peddle runs parked and don’t make pick ups because you didn’t allow drivers to work your tonnage is going to drop. Dumb sheets.

Gee OD reported a 14% decrease for the same period. Maybe it's not the Teamsters Fault! Just might be their is not as much freight right now.
It's true not as much freight to go around today.
All segments of the movement of freight are suffering.
But Yellow mis management got them to where they are at today.
Their biggest cost is labor and the easiest way to cut costs in their eyes is labor.

It's true not as much freight to go around today.
All segments of the movement of freight are suffering.
But Yellow mis management got them to where they are at today.
Their biggest cost is labor and the easiest way to cut costs in their eyes is labor.

If their biggest cost is labor, labor is obviously the easiest way to cut costs. BUT, the outdated classifications and work rules don't allow the flexibility to react to the normal fluctuations in business as can the competition.

A good bit of the freight Yellow receives comes from 3PL providers. I'm aware of one major 3PL meeting with Yellow leadership this afternoon to understand whether or not it is time to shift the routing guides away from Yellow and to other providers. The shippers are blowing them up with questions and demand answers since the 3PL owns the carrier contracts and controls the routing guides.

RB Labor costs include management sales and supervision.They should be the first cut!

There is no first to cut. Redundant managers should be cut but, there are not 22,000 of them. 75% of Yellow employees are Teamsters. The archaic classifications and work rules must be amended if Yellow is to continue to provide jobs for 30,000 employees.

There is no first to cut. Redundant managers should be cut but, there are not 22,000 of them. 75% of Yellow employees are Teamsters. The archaic classifications and work rules must be amended if Yellow is to continue to provide jobs for 30,000 employees.
Redundant management cuts are immediate. Cut 100 salary personal and if they are making say for example $75,000 per year in salary and benefits that is quite an immediate savings.

A good bit of the freight Yellow receives comes from 3PL providers. I'm aware of one major 3PL meeting with Yellow leadership this afternoon to understand whether or not it is time to shift the routing guides away from Yellow and to other providers. The shippers are blowing them up with questions and demand answers since the 3PL owns the carrier contracts and controls the routing guides.
My Uncle National Sales Director he is not using Yellow until Union issues resolved.

Not really but I think I understand why you are saying that.

3PL's can be handy for manufacturers that are really good at creating products but not good at distributing nor want to single source with a carrier.
Most 3PL freight is low pay bottom feeder pricing, that's how they make their money.