Yellow | YRC consolidates its Roadway and Yellow Transportation subsidiaries

brutus

TB Veteran
Credits
YRC Worldwide Inc., the biggest U.S. trucking company, said it will merge its Roadway and Yellow Transportation units to save money and chose Roadway's chief to lead the combined business.
The subsidiaries, YRC's largest, will become YRC National Transportation, the company said in a statement Monday. Mike Smid, Roadway president, will be YRC National's president and chief executive officer. James Welch, who has led Yellow, will retire.

Wichita Eagle | 01/16/2007 | YRC consolidates its Roadway and Yellow Transportation subsidiaries

The people that write these headlines are not very accurate.

Roadway and Yellow are not being merged. The management teams of both companies are being merged but both companies will continue to operate separately.

The people that write these headlines are not very accurate.

Roadway and Yellow are not being merged. The management teams of both companies are being merged but both companies will continue to operate separately.
Bingo! They write the headline to get your attention. Then, as one reads on they find that it's just a merger of Mgmt.

I trust (for now) that's the case.

However, having once been subject to Yellow's long range plans and purchases-- one has to wonder-- if management is merged, cannot the companies be combined all that far down the road? Not stirring anything up-- but it seems a logical question to me, at least in the mind of one having been thru this with Yellow before (Preston).....

Most of you won't remember this but 1985 Yellow bought a Canadian carrier called International Carriers Limited (ICL). Big outfit serving mostly Ontario. Shortly there after all the drivers, canadian and stateside, were looking for jobs. It was different circumstanses but tell me JUST ONE company bought by Yellow thats still here cuz I don't know of any:shrug:

Jimmy,
Back in the 90's when Preston and it's subsidiaries were bought the VP and Freight Director came from Yellow in STL. He stated that Yellow tried to only buy the Saia and Smalley from Preston to begin a non-Union Regional operation....they were forced by a Federal Judge to take Preston too or the entire deal was off. That included Reeves CSI, a carpet hauler from Dalton, Ga.....I'm not saying that Preston wasn't a good Company or that it's employees didn't get the shaft, but Yellow never really wanted Preston in the first place. They only wanted most of what Preston owned. I don't know the feeling of being closed down, thankfully, as I'm sure it's not a good thing to go through. I know many, many guys who have gone through it and have to start all over at the bottom somewhere else.

To merge Yellow and Roadway would be a feat unequaled in the LTL industry. I'm not sure that even Yellow could pull it off with success. It would be, in my opinion, a logistical nightmare. Would they run 2 large terminals in each of the big cities or build one giant one? They'd need 700-800 doors in Chicago and at least 500 in STL and IND.

I'm not saying that it will never happen but I don't think we'll see it anytime soon. But then, what do I know? And believe it or not, Overland Park never asks for my opinion when making these decisions!

Jimmy,
Back in the 90's when Preston and it's subsidiaries were bought the VP and Freight Director came from Yellow in STL. He stated that Yellow tried to only buy the Saia and Smalley from Preston to begin a non-Union Regional operation....they were forced by a Federal Judge to take Preston too or the entire deal was off. That included Reeves CSI, a carpet hauler from Dalton, Ga.....I'm not saying that Preston wasn't a good Company or that it's employees didn't get the shaft, but Yellow never really wanted Preston in the first place. They only wanted most of what Preston owned. I don't know the feeling of being closed down, thankfully, as I'm sure it's not a good thing to go through. I know many, many guys who have gone through it and have to start all over at the bottom somewhere else.

To merge Yellow and Roadway would be a feat unequaled in the LTL industry. I'm not sure that even Yellow could pull it off with success. It would be, in my opinion, a logistical nightmare. Would they run 2 large terminals in each of the big cities or build one giant one? They'd need 700-800 doors in Chicago and at least 500 in STL and IND.

I'm not saying that it will never happen but I don't think we'll see it anytime soon. But then, what do I know? And believe it or not, Overland Park never asks for my opinion when making these decisions!

Sometimes I think they should STL, and thats the truth:1036316054:

Sometimes I think they should STL, and thats the truth:1036316054:
Thanks Serta. They might benefit from listening to a lot of us, but they're so paranoid that we always have an angle which will benefit only us. Back in the mid 90's we proved it to our Linehaul Mgr. how we needed daytime bids to Tulsa so they could break the freight and have it ready for the streets before 11 or noon.....all of this, mind you, with the blessings of the Tulsa terminal Mgr. who said he'd do anything he could to help. We told our boss that he shouldn't treat Tulsa "just like any other satellite" because they were way further away than any other satellite........he wouldn't listen. The TUL terminal Mgr. thanked us for trying anyway and shook his head about how STL wouldn't listen to him or us and the service was suffering. About a year and a half later our boss tells us that he thinks it'd be a good idea to move up the bids to TUL so they could get their freight early enough to have it ready in the morning! When we laughed and reminded him about it he told us that he didn't recall that conversation. He went on to tell us how Overland Park thanked him for such a good idea. What a joke.

STL Dude, I'm not arguing ANYTHING you said. I pretty much agree with you 99%. But my question is still there-- based on logic, combined with experience of history. I DO hope I'm wrong this time, but NO One in this industry has the farsightedness of Yellow. Zollars has a plan. And he's not telling us what it is. Somewhere, he's up to something, mostly good -- to make money. But not everyone profits along when he moves. I found out the hard way..........

Most of you won't remember this but 1985 Yellow bought a Canadian carrier called International Carriers Limited (ICL). Big outfit serving mostly Ontario. Shortly there after all the drivers, canadian and stateside, were looking for jobs. It was different circumstanses but tell me JUST ONE company bought by Yellow thats still here cuz I don't know of any:shrug:

SAIA, JEVIC, Roadway, USF Corp, New Penn....ALL bought with Yellow's Money!..........KK

yo....

not to beat a dead horse deader but, preston was a DOG...

they were operating over 100 when YELLOW bought them....

they were operating over 100 when YELLOW tried to revive them so they could integrate them.....

they were operating over 100 when they spun them off....

in the time YELLOW owned preston, YELLOW's o/r dropped from 98/97 down to 95 because they shortened the transit times in the same lanes that preston competed with YELLOW on.....

good business practices say 'don't contaminate bad business with good'.....

i wonder how much of the preston real estate is still in YELLOW's portfolio?????

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

yo....

not to beat a dead horse deader but, preston was a DOG...

they were operating over 100 when YELLOW bought them....

they were operating over 100 when YELLOW tried to revive them so they could integrate them.....

they were operating over 100 when they spun them off....

in the time YELLOW owned preston, YELLOW's o/r dropped from 98/97 down to 95 because they shortened the transit times in the same lanes that preston competed with YELLOW on.....

good business practices say 'don't contaminate bad business with good'.....

i wonder how much of the preston real estate is still in YELLOW's portfolio?????

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Somehow, I knew Mikee would show up to put that spin on PTC, as he always does-- even, when--like this-- it IS NO GERMAINE to my question, which was logical: "Since they now have a plan to combine management-- do they really NOT have a plan to someday combine the companies?" All the rest is unrelated, except my experience with Yellow buying companies, writing them off on their taxes many different times, gutting them, and then ditching people........

I stand by my open-ended question. Sounds logical to me. Mikee can spin things all he wants-- he's wrongheaded and biased, as normal.:hysterical: :tongue0015: :biglaugh:

yo jimmy g...

you live in indy....

the overwhelming majority of preston's work was as a middle-atlantic/new england carrier....

in the northeast, they were trailing apa, new penn, red star and st. johnsbury....

they only started competing with YELLOW after they bought shipper's dispatch and got rights in the midwest and YELLOW never picked up freight for anything closer than ohio from the east coast until '93, the year they bought preston...

in new england, the preston people laid down on them, filed a gazillion frivilous grievances and did everything they shouldn't do with a company operating over 100.....

if that's spin, then i'm a fool, cuz i was there and saw it happening....

mikeeeeeeeeee

ps; before transferring out to STL i worked in the middle-atlantic/ new england region for over 35 years.......

I'm a simple guy. I ask simple questions. I asked one simple question about Yellow, and look what response I get-- the normal bitter, must put down a gone entity so someone can feel important stuff, which appears to be all Mikeee ever writes.

Here's another very simple question: How does any of your denigrating of PTC answer my simple question about Yellow's future plans? My simple answer-- It doesn't.

Now back to the subject at hand.......

Ok Mikeeeee, now rub that crystal ball on your computer desk and tell us all, "What is YRC's upcoming plans for future integration?" Please do it without hurting anybodys feelings and with nothing short of roses and sunshine about failed carriers and lessons of the past........GO

UW, you misread me. I'm not looking to flood sunshine up anyone's rear-end. Preston's gone. Over. What you don't realize is, Mikeee and I have about an 8 year history on here about the subject. Pavlov whistled, his dog salivated. I mention I'd had history with Yellow being less than honest in closing things-- Mikeeee posts how bad PTC was. It goes thru at least 10 threads by now, but the boards have crashed and we can't access all that history. By about the next time, I'm sure we stole all the baby's lollipops, poinsoned all the apple pies, and created Global Warming, according to Mikeee.

All I'm asking is what do you think Y has in store next? I kind of wish I'd never asked.....

UW-- you in particular see what they're capable of. Profit is a good thing, things change and mostly get better. But in every change, someone gets hurt as well.

I'm from your country, you know. My ancestors settled some of Lancaster County in the 1670s. My parents' farm sits in sight of the Peach Bottom Atomic Plant, in York County. During 3 Mile Island, I discovered thru my wife-- who is from Indy, that we had moved 600 miles to here.......I figured fine-- I can still get my Baltimore News American and York Daily Record to keep up on my Colts. Now those papers are gone too, and the Colts followed me here. Change is inevitable. I just asked the question......

I dig where you are coming from Jimmy. Mikeees perspective, although a bit coarse, was entirely accurate. Having worked for Preston as a casual, St J as a casual, Nationsway as a fulltimer and Red Star, He could give you scathing yet accurate reviews on each of them. Who knows what these people have in store. They think that they are doing people a favor by making what they perceive to be profitable business decisions. I can tell you one thing though, there are a lot of people like me getting caught up in this change that aren't afraid to ask the question "why?" to everybody from the dispatcher, right on up the chain if something stinks. They have nothing to lose in the "human aspect," there are always people that need jobs and are willing to start out at 75%. Thats what they are banking on in this change as well. Attrition through retirement and guys willing to take the layoff. The next few weeks shall be very interesting....the weather has freight backed up in the midwest and the southeast. There is another storm coming out of the southwest as well.

yo uw....

metaphoricaly yrc has to be like a pilot fish swimming in front of a mako shark....

the national economy is the shark and yrc has to be in front of it to get first bite.....

this takes prognosticators to predict freight trends nationally and more importantly lately regionally....

then sales forces have to sell services that customers want and it's our job to deliver these services....

we got the easy job just following orders...

the sales guys and the freight flow guys aint got a picnic at all...

this change that is going on now is like agassi lofting a tennis ball to serve it, it's not for now but, for the next busy cycle in the near future (we hope)....

YELLOW is learning a lot faster than they were as it took them from '92 to 2000 to decide to redistribute road drivers back into satellites from breakbulks....

now they are refining the system more with the preemie guys working in shorter lanes (betcha there's another preemie change before the end of the year and an intermodal one too, you heard it here first).....

this company was totally hub and spoke and now it's more direct loading oriented and they have stayed profitable while doing it, that's worth saying something i think....

as long as the checks don't bounce and they pay me for everything i do for them i'm a proactive happy camper....

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ps; i know it sound like corporatespeak but, wtf, where are we goin' to find gigs like this anywhere else????????