Yellow | YRC, Teamsters sign two pilot programs changing driver schedules, adding non-CDL classification

Freightmaster1

TB Legend
Credits
The recruiting problem is particularly acute in local cartage, where YRC companies are forced to use a high percentage of third-parties for work that bargaining unit employees can perform, Soehl wrote. Those contractors don’t use CDL drivers to perform portions of this work, he said.

However, if some comments on a popular online chatroom called “Trucking Boards” are any indication, the pilots are being viewed as management’s way to lowball driver wages ahead of the contract talks. By starting non-CDL drivers driving straight trucks at wage levels below senior drivers, the company may be laying the groundwork to fill the driver pipeline with lower-paid workers, according to several commentators. YRC’s over-the-road drivers typically start at $60,000 a year, while pick-up and delivery drivers pull down about $22 per hour, according to the company’s website

“You get a bunch of guys that are currently delivering furniture and appliances and not making very much doing it (and) you offer them this job making $20 an hour with benefits,” according to one poster. “Now the company gets drivers at an even cheaper rate than what they are paying us now.”
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/ltl/yrc-teamsters-agree-to-two-pilot-programs

YUUCUHG.jpg

:stirthepot::smilies 19296:

Considering the IBT is already in a giving mood, and it’s not even Christmas, this might as well already be in the 2019 contract. Crazy idea here, but in the last 5 years why has the IBT never once asked the company to give us something?

I’ve done both. Again, why is the IBT giving the company anything when we haven’t even begun to negotiate. Why in the last 5 years has the IBT not once asked for even one thing to make our lives better?
It’s called ,Releif.There is a driver shortage and we cannot get any one at our current rate. Or should we just open the contract and say screw it ,and hire any bum off the street.These issues have been brought up by the company .People are retiring in masses and there are no replacements ,Thus most of the current employees are working longer hours to fill the void.Easy enough.

It’s called ,Releif.There is a driver shortage and we cannot get any one at our current rate. Or should we just open the contract and say screw it ,and hire any bum off the street.These issues have been brought up by the company .People are retiring in masses and there are no replacements ,Thus most of the current employees are working longer hours to fill the void.Easy enough.
Pay the rate and there would be no shortage!

That’s absolute garbage. They have had relief to the tune of over a billion dollars from us- BILLION with a capital B. All the IBT has done is undercut their own members for the upcoming contract negotiations. How about maybe paying drivers more? How’s that for a crazy idea?

Pay the rate and there would be no shortage!
What is the rate ,It’s what ever some one wants to give you.Are you worth it.Other non union companies don’t.,even come close to union insurance and pension That’s the difference,Do you want money in your pocket or the best insurance and pension benefits in the industry.

That’s absolute garbage. They have had relief to the tune of over a billion dollars from us- BILLION with a capital B. All the IBT has done is undercut their own members for the upcoming contract negotiations. How about maybe paying drivers more? How’s that for a crazy idea?
I totally disagree with you there are people At YRC that want to continue to work until the dept is paid off and the company can return to profitability.All the others excluding ABF whom took pay cuts are out of business and there pension burdens have been passed on to other union LTL carriers.

What is the rate ,It’s what ever some one wants to give you.

Actually, in a situation where the worker is in short supply, it becomes a matter of what the worker is willing to accept for their effort. This is the law of supply and demand at work. It is amazing how many people on here try to rationalize the idea that the law somehow does not apply to YRC employees. It’s called The LAW of Supply and Demand for a reason – it must be obeyed. It does not matter one bit whether you trust the workers with this power, or not.

The law of supply and demand is a theory that explains the interaction between the supply of a resource and the demand for that resource. ... Generally, low supply and high demand increase price. In contrast, the greater the supply and the lower the demand, the price tends to fall.

Actually, in a situation where the worker is in short supply, it becomes a matter of what the worker is willing to accept for their effort. This is the law of supply and demand at work. It is amazing how many people on here try to rationalize the idea that the law somehow does not apply to YRC employees. It’s called The LAW of Supply and Demand for a reason – it must be obeyed. It does not matter one bit whether you trust the workers with this power, or not.

The law of supply and demand is a theory that explains the interaction between the supply of a resource and the demand for that resource. ... Generally, low supply and high demand increase price. In contrast, the greater the supply and the lower the demand, the price tends to fall.
:smiliewhs::6788:

I totally disagree with you there are people At YRC that want to continue to work until the dept is paid off and the company can return to profitability.

This company will never admit to turning enough profit to getting out of debt. The last thing they want is anything in our favor. They have however been able to pay millions to corporate players. Ten years is a long time for 20,000 plus people to put back into a company to “try and save it”. I’m pretty much like everyone else who doesn’t want to start over somewhere else at the bottom of a nonunion company. BUT I’m done giving back, I’m done driving ::shit:: and I’m done having the lowest paid per hour job. The naysayer might bring up my health care is paid for. That’s not the way I see it. I see 15% of my pay every week, about 250.00 for me. That money should be in my pocket. Oh and my pension I’m on the West coast having 25% put into a 401k. That’s about 80.00 a week going in, instead of the 320.00 that should be going into my pension. That 240$ plus that 250 is easy to add up and that’s a week for ten years. I’m sorry guys but I’m done giving back.

This started with Corporate saying they needed they give back to compete with the nonunion carriers. Now they say they can’t find help and that’s because they nonunion carriers pay more. Let’s just face it their kicking the can down the road on our backs.

Stick together and get what we deserve back!