Yellow | “Operational flexibility”…What does this mean?

ChicagoRay

TB Lurker
Credits
Operational flexibility”…What does this mean?

I have been in this industry for 17+ years and have worked for both Yellow and Roadway as a city P&D driver. I have been caught in change of operations twice and kicked to the CURB. (Intro to Bill Zollars) I also chose to relocate twice due to my own life events. (always have worked Union and will)

YRCW has no regard for your “Operational Flexibility” with loss of wages, seniority and benefits etc. But not only YRCW, the Teamster have no regard for their members when it comes to flexibility , when you change locals they attempt to “Steal” the years you have vested in your pension. (And we all have heard stories of old timers who have screwed on their pension/retirements). As a Teamster you should be able to go anywhere and continue accruing your pension benefits without having to re-vest in a new local fund or plan. (better reciprocity)

Now it seems that the company is looking for flexibility, earlier this year I believe the 2nd quarter YRCW (the Yellow div.) made a 800 million net profit. (This profit is after expenses.) What did they do with the profit?? Well I am not exactly sure, but I sure see a lot of new YRC logistics 45/48 ft trl. w/liftgates out there. Does this mean that you will see more of our freight going that way? (We know they are not investing in equipment in the city terminals.)

Now is the time that we need to hold YRCW and the TEAMSTERS to the highest standard in the industry to create flexibility and job security for the members and safeguard the freight and the customers that quality union drivers cultivate!!

On a positive note: The ATA says that trucking and freight volume in the U.S. is only going to increase. (think about it more people, more stores, more companies ,more imports, more restaurants…everything moves by truck…) no matter how slow the economy gets it will come back and we will drive trucks and you know the corporations want you to do it as cheap as possible(can they outsource drivers) so they can put the rest in their pockets. (We sell our soles and are bodies for a few dollars and then we die…broke and with a bad back.)

We TEAMSTERS set the standard for the industry!

Operational flexibility”…What does this mean?

I have been in this industry for 17+ years and have worked for both Yellow and Roadway as a city P&D driver. I have been caught in change of operations twice and kicked to the CURB. (Intro to Bill Zollars) I also chose to relocate twice due to my own life events. (always have worked Union and will)

YRCW has no regard for your “Operational Flexibility” with loss of wages, seniority and benefits etc. But not only YRCW, the Teamster have no regard for their members when it comes to flexibility , when you change locals they attempt to “Steal” the years you have vested in your pension. (And we all have heard stories of old timers who have screwed on their pension/retirements). As a Teamster you should be able to go anywhere and continue accruing your pension benefits without having to re-vest in a new local fund or plan. (better reciprocity)

Now it seems that the company is looking for flexibility, earlier this year I believe the 2nd quarter YRCW (the Yellow div.) made a 800 million net profit. (This profit is after expenses.) What did they do with the profit?? Well I am not exactly sure, but I sure see a lot of new YRC logistics 45/48 ft trl. w/liftgates out there. Does this mean that you will see more of our freight going that way? (We know they are not investing in equipment in the city terminals.)

Now is the time that we need to hold YRCW and the TEAMSTERS to the highest standard in the industry to create flexibility and job security for the members and safeguard the freight and the customers that quality union drivers cultivate!!

On a positive note: The ATA says that trucking and freight volume in the U.S. is only going to increase. (think about it more people, more stores, more companies ,more imports, more restaurants…everything moves by truck…) no matter how slow the economy gets it will come back and we will drive trucks and you know the corporations want you to do it as cheap as possible(can they outsource drivers) so they can put the rest in their pockets. (We sell our soles and are bodies for a few dollars and then we die…broke and with a bad back.)

We TEAMSTERS set the standard for the industry!

They plan on you either working a few years and then leaving the plan,actually retiring and then dieing quickly after receiving pension.

Ever wonder why they still double and triple dip? You've been sold out, face it and get over it.

They plan on you either working a few years and then leaving the plan,actually retiring and then dieing quickly after receiving pension.

Ever wonder why they still double and triple dip? You've been sold out, face it and get over it.

"face it get over it" I may miss understand I am Happy with my postion, I like my job and working Union and just trying to open up new issues . Which is what we are supposed to do when a new contract is up for negatation..right ...or am I suposed to wine in the back round for the next five years and cry on how bad I getting screwed.

"face it get over it" I may miss understand I am Happy with my postion, I like my job and working Union and just trying to open up new issues . Which is what we are supposed to do when a new contract is up for negatation..right ...or am I suposed to wine in the back round for the next five years and cry on how bad I getting screwed.

We it sure feels like the union is preparing me for something with all these info calls. does anyone ever remember the information being kept so secret?

We it sure feels like the union is preparing me for something with all these info calls. does anyone ever remember the information being kept so secret?

On 12-18-07 I received a recorded message from Tyson Johnson. He said they've taken steps to protect our health and welfare and pension benifets, job security and wages.
He went on to say and this is what I find interesting: At the same time allowing unionized carriers a better opportunity to compete in the non-unionized market place.
What does that mean?

On 12-18-07 I received a recorded message from Tyson Johnson. He said they've taken steps to protect our health and welfare and pension benifets, job security and wages.
He went on to say and this is what I find interesting: At the same time allowing unionized carriers a better opportunity to compete in the non-unionized market place.
What does that mean?

What does that mean?

If I had to guess, I would say that it means there are going to be changes in the work rules and such. The customer pays our wages and if the customer finds more satisfaction at a non-union carrier because they have less-restrictive work rules, then we will be forced to change so that we may compete. That means road drivers working a forklift when needed, making a pickup or delivery enroute or using any people in one classification in any other classification as the need arises and other things that the non-union carriers now allow because they have no restrictive contract language. I hope I'm wrong. But we HAVE TO take care of the customer.

I don't like it anymore than anybody else does, but, as they say, "the times, they are a- changin." :hide:

What does that mean?

If I had to guess, I would say that it means there are going to be changes in the work rules and such. The customer pays our wages and if the customer finds more satisfaction at a non-union carrier because they have less-restrictive work rules, then we will be forced to change so that we may compete. That means road drivers working a forklift when needed, making a pickup or delivery enroute or using any people in one classification in any other classification as the need arises and other things that the non-union carriers now allow because they have no restrictive contract language. I hope I'm wrong. But we HAVE TO take care of the customer.

I don't like it anymore than anybody else does, but, as they say, "the times, they are a- changin." :hide:

It means that they will be protecting some of our jobs and other jobs will be eliminated through new work rules. Teamsters have lost control at yrcw and are just trying to keep there foot in the door of the union company. My local has been giving away work on a regular basis , allowing my tm to drop trailers at food whse's while guys are laid off and not wanting to take it to the board because he can't win it.

It means that they will be protecting some of our jobs and other jobs will be eliminated through new work rules. Teamsters have lost control at yrcw and are just trying to keep there foot in the door of the union company. My local has been giving away work on a regular basis , allowing my tm to drop trailers at food whse's while guys are laid off and not wanting to take it to the board because he can't win it.

Man I'm at a complete loss as to what any customer would give a rats about my contract or work rules. Usually I can see most everyones point of view but I'm coming up blank on this one, please help me to understand.:smilie_132:

Man I'm at a complete loss as to what any customer would give a rats about my contract or work rules. Usually I can see most everyones point of view but I'm coming up blank on this one, please help me to understand.:smilie_132:

wolf I have heard his point of view being stated over and over the past year or so on all of Bob D. talks with his "Fellow Employees" at ABF. It sounds a lot like the "company line" if you know what I mean.

wolf I have heard his point of view being stated over and over the past year or so on all of Bob D. talks with his "Fellow Employees" at ABF. It sounds a lot like the "company line" if you know what I mean.