ABF | 10 min breaks, who pays for them me or abf?

frakie

TB Lurker
Credits
If I log a 10 min break into my pda am I deducted 10 min pay? I don't think so, but some say you do get 10 min off the clock. My question is if I'm deducted pay should I log it into a pda?

Log it on PDA as per company policy but it does not come out of your pay like lunch does.

They want you to log it so they can pin you down on your break times. Only two per customer per day!!

They want you to log it so they can pin you down on your break times. Only two per customer per day!!

Hey ABFer. Nothing wrong with your statement 'only 2 per customer per day' provided you only have 1 customer that day. Bet ya thought I would miss that one, eh.

Just watch out for the new EOBRD's that are getting installed into all road and city tractors next year. Why don't they just call it qualcomm.

Just watch out for the new EOBRD's that are getting installed into all road and city tractors next year. Why don't they just call it qualcomm.
I'm confident TJ will be keeping its use in check ooops he already has us in check permitting such devices to be the sole item they need to fire us for stealing.

I'm confident TJ will be keeping its use in check ooops he already has us in check permitting such devices to be the sole item they need to fire us for stealing.

They will have to scoop deep to the bottom of the barrel to replace the fired drivers.No pile of applications falling off of the t.m's desk here. (yes ,i know that we do not accept paper applications anymore)

They will have to scoop deep to the bottom of the barrel to replace the fired drivers.No pile of applications falling off of the t.m's desk here. (yes ,i know that we do not accept paper applications anymore)
Yes sir, we are at the point where we are irreplaceable. Just don't get to the point where you are so undesirable that they will get rid of you.

I cannot see why they would spend unnecessary dollars on an EOBRD unless they are mandated by the government or they expect that they will pay for themselves by recording the drivers who cut us off and get rear ended. It is to the point now where I have a near miss about once a week and one of these times I will not be able to avoid it. I don't believe that that the customer needs to log in and track his/her shipment to the minute.

I'm pretty undesirable,....in my manners and attitude,......Maybe my looks, too.......Oh, well,..........They didn't hire me for my looks,.........or my manners, ...or attitude. They hired me because they needed someone with the appropriate licenses,...and a willingness,.....and maturity,...to accept the responsibility and liability of handling a commercial vehicle on public streets....................ALL of which are distinctly in short supply,..as any insurer of trucks will tell you. I welcome EOBRDs!...........because they will alleviate the responsibility of decision-making that I do, on a daily basis. I will now proceed to do everything by-the-book........no matter how long it takes, By Gum! I already carry my own chock blocks,....which I use all the time I'm not behind the wheel..........(3.2 seconds per stop, for all you bean-counters out there......). The EOBRDs will be installed MERELY to satisfy the insurance companies,.....who are now clamoring for increased oversight from the Government,....due to carriers ....lowering ....their standards for hiring,.....AND their lack of training of the aforementioned new-hires. Yessir! I can do EVERYTHING by-the-book,......which should insure at least three days a week, waiting for a vendor after I do my pre-trip.....I mean my BY-THE-BOOK pre-trip,.....not the common-sense one I do now, where I take into account the age of the equipment,....and it's safety factor. After 40 years in trucking, I feel I can make a pretty accurate judgement call on that,.......However,...if you feel that you MUST do my thinking for me with an EOBRD,......because, collectively, ABF is hiring more guys with limited experience,.........and losing through attrition and retirement,........the most experienced,......well, then, the least that I could do, is to adjust my way of thinking,....and NOT THINK,....because the recorder will do it for me.....SAFETY before timekeeper deadlines and customer requirements! Any management people on here want to argue about that last statement?

In a lot of ways I'm with Canary; from a road driver perspective ABF hired me BECAUSE of what I could accomplish and not my attitude. I have used EOBRD's for other companies (Martin-Brower) in the past and I did not find them a bad thing. In reality, I look forward to ABF getting EOBRD's and me not having to keep up with paper logs!!!!! Technology seems to frighten a lot of people but I have noticed that is also makes life easier once it becomes commonly used. And after over 20yrs in use I would say EOBRD's are commonly used.

I'm pretty undesirable,....in my manners and attitude,......Maybe my looks, too.......Oh, well,..........They didn't hire me for my looks,.........or my manners, ...or attitude. They hired me because they needed someone with the appropriate licenses,...and a willingness,.....and maturity,...to accept the responsibility and liability of handling a commercial vehicle on public streets....................ALL of which are distinctly in short supply,..as any insurer of trucks will tell you. I welcome EOBRDs!...........because they will alleviate the responsibility of decision-making that I do, on a daily basis. I will now proceed to do everything by-the-book........no matter how long it takes, By Gum! I already carry my own chock blocks,....which I use all the time I'm not behind the wheel..........(3.2 seconds per stop, for all you bean-counters out there......). The EOBRDs will be installed MERELY to satisfy the insurance companies,.....who are now clamoring for increased oversight from the Government,....due to carriers ....lowering ....their standards for hiring,.....AND their lack of training of the aforementioned new-hires. Yessir! I can do EVERYTHING by-the-book,......which should insure at least three days a week, waiting for a vendor after I do my pre-trip.....I mean my BY-THE-BOOK pre-trip,.....not the common-sense one I do now, where I take into account the age of the equipment,....and it's safety factor. After 40 years in trucking, I feel I can make a pretty accurate judgement call on that,.......However,...if you feel that you MUST do my thinking for me with an EOBRD,......because, collectively, ABF is hiring more guys with limited experience,.........and losing through attrition and retirement,........the most experienced,......well, then, the least that I could do, is to adjust my way of thinking,....and NOT THINK,....because the recorder will do it for me.....SAFETY before timekeeper deadlines and customer requirements! Any management people on here want to argue about that last statement?
Well safety should come before everything else but I know you know that, and you know all this stuff does nothing for the safety of the actual operation by qualified workers.
It just shifts liability around to those less lawyer-ed you know.

Jeeze can I type "you know" one more time:)

I could see putting these devices into the road units for the purpose of automating drivers' logs but can see no legitimate reason for them to be in the city units. Then how will they be administered, via satellite? If so there are subscription fees for that service as well, in addition to maintenance costs. Not that they're short on money, I'm sure they got enough of ours to cover the extra costs. And don't forget city men, we are "Driver/Salesmen" so keep those customers happy with regular sales calls. OK?

I could see putting these devices into the road units for the purpose of automating drivers' logs but can see no legitimate reason for them to be in the city units. Then how will they be administered, via satellite? If so there are subscription fees for that service as well, in addition to maintenance costs. Not that they're short on money, I'm sure they got enough of ours to cover the extra costs. And don't forget city men, we are "Driver/Salesmen" so keep those customers happy with regular sales calls. OK?

Sales calls? Yea, I will push my sales program for ABF right after they supply me with a expense account. I mean if I take a customer to lunch I need some of that 7% savings to cover meals, gas, Shanons Roaring Twenties, & make available the Corporate Hunting Lodge. Can always use the Lodge this time of year. von.

Sales calls? Yea, I will push my sales program for ABF right after they supply me with a expense account. I mean if I take a customer to lunch I need some of that 7% savings to cover meals, gas, Shanons Roaring Twenties, & make available the Corporate Hunting Lodge. Can always use the Lodge this time of year. von.
Nooooooooo you got it all wrong. Hang out, chit chat, make them feel happy about doing business with ABF Freight.

Soitainly........Prop the feet up on the shipper's desk,...........get that free cuppa coffee outta their pot,...(ignore the money pot....You're a Salesman!)..........and Schmooze away! Tell them how lucky they are to have you as ABF's Default salesman............That'll make them feel better about not having seen the..........."official"..........salesman for 6 or 7 months..........

If I log a 10 min break into my pda am I deducted 10 min pay? I don't think so, but some say you do get 10 min off the clock. My question is if I'm deducted pay should I log it into a pda?
By the way, Brother,..........You are NOT deducted 10 minutes............Contract says:" A work break will be recognized." Work breaks are paid for time. Unfortunately,....those Supplements who had 15 minute breaks are now cut back to 10 minutes,.....by new language...."negotiated"....in our Steaming Heap of a new National Agreement. You can, however, take up to an hour,.....unpaid,....for lunch,...in spite of the PDA set to ring at 28 minutes. If you need an hour nap.....for "safety" purposes,...shut the PDA off and use the alarm on your cell phone. Set it for 59 minutes......

I got, "Driver of the Day", award for taking 55 minute documented break in spite of the contract language. Just made me give 'em an extra 10%. There is no satisfying these people.
Safety, Brother,....Safety......You needed that break,.......we're all getting older,........wore out,........Inform your slavedriver of a boss,....you might have to start taking one hour lunches on a daily basis,.....That'll make him look up the Article in the contract that allows it............I'll bet he has no problem paying your lunch if you exceed the sixth hour at the end of the day,.........That is, as long as you log it,.........(...in the breakroom....)....before your eighth hour,.......That is,....if they're going to push you to twelve,...........Lotsa "that is's"...........All in the Name Of Safety......

How certain there going to install EOBRD's on our road and city trucks? When and where was this announced?
That,....I don't know. Anecdotal evidence.......euphemism for internet rumor. They did have to get rid of the computer-generated city logs, though. Not in compliance........Must be current to last Change of Duty status...(..i.e: driving to on duty....)...There's a reason you have to sign a log in your own handwriting.........and that would be perjury. actually,....We all should start carrying logs in the city, if they're going to push us to twelve,....or even ten,....on a daily basis. I can make a log that's a Thing of Beauty,.....perfect lines,....neatly lettered,......"i's" dotted,..........Right down exactly to my current Change of Duty status,.....Of course, ...to be that perfect,...(...and I'm proud of my work,...especially on a Government document....).......it takes a few.........extra minutes per stop,.....each stop,....Might tack on an extra half-hour,...or an hour,...a day..........But,.....Hey!....Safety! Efficiency! Neatness! Who can argue with that?