TForce | 10 minutes per stop!!!

hrs city is averaging a little under that for the pedal drivers, our average was 8 mins and change as of Monday for the previous week.
in the year he's been here our super has been preaching about working steady, get in and get out of customers etc etc.

Does your barn run a 10 minutes per stop?

It depends on what your picking up as there are too many variables.
If the freight was called in and it's ready, and you arrive at the proper time, there should be no reason why it would take more than 10 minutes to get the pickup.

Now there are many other variables that can turn that 10 minutes into something longer. You need to be in contact with dispatch using your DIAD. They will either tell you to wait x amount of minutes or pull you out ready or not.
That tactic has pissed off many of our customers, it's also helped make our customers become more efficient when dealing with us.

...There are too many scenarios in regards to the many types of freight we pick up and deliver...The key to this is keeping your dispatcher informed using the DIAD on what you are doing and what's taking longer than expected.

We are given 20. The other day when I got to a stop, YRC was in the dock so dispatch told me to mark it excessive wait time and move on. Happened at my next stop with OD. At this rate we will get paid not to make pickups , but just to drive around.

I think they are trying to send the message that we come 1st only thing is I wonder how many customers we lose because we are trying to get them to change the way they have always operated

Well,around here FedX Freight is loosing freight&customer's because of the detention time charge.Haven't heard much from the UPS driver's

Yes our barn enforces 10 min per stop. I have been told to leave and freight is shipped with con-way or fed ex. Also cust. are told were not in area today and once again freight given away. How is this quality service and how is your barn suppose to grow?

I was wondering how long it would take Brown to start getting antsy with customers. Way to time conscience for freight industry. It's not the same as package.......

What they pay us everyone should get in and get out and do a good job..I cant stand a sluggard..

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, but the LTL business isn't the same as package. You don't have your own door and you wait your turn in line, just like the other truck lines..

I agree, but the LTL business isn't the same as package. You don't have your own door and you wait your turn in line, just like the other truck lines..

That is why everyone should stay in constant contact with dispatcher. Anything over 10 minutes I'd be on the phone or diad.

That is why everyone should stay in constant contact with dispatcher. Anything over 10 minutes I'd be on the phone or diad.

I totally agree.

We got guys that have unlimited minutes on their cell phone and refuse to make any kind of verbal contact with dispatch during their rolling office hours.
They don't want to waste a mAh of battery charge for the company they work for.
They will only use the DIAD and sit at stops waiting for dispatch to reply back.
It's almost like they have a stick it to the man mission everyday.
I get it. Some get away with it. It's a gray area and it all depends on the driver, but t's amazing how much push and shove, agree to disagree, hatred, deep rooted lines there are with certain people. It's probably why they are the ones always being called into the office with their Union Stewards.

Those days of sitting around, excessively waiting for doors, screwing around inside the customers place is eroding with the DIAD, Telematics and probably the ORION system.
UPS is going to try to change the LTL worlds thinking.

If they don't answer the diad will they answer the phone? I never did P&D with diad did have Nextells at one time. Sometimes waited what seemed like forever to get it answered. I personally would use the diad. That way it shows when and how many attempts at contact were made. I'd use my cell phone, but I'm not going thru the hoops to get a copy of my bill to prove I called them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never did p&d for this company but all the other companies I worked for said use the qualcom that's why it in your truck only call if it's an emergency. That being said I would call them but mainly because I wasn't paid by the hour and I wasn't gonna sit there all day waiting for dispatch to check their messages. I think i remember someone saying that they got pulled into the office and accused of stealing time until he showed them all the pictures of the diad messages he sent them on phone. And if I remember right the guy said something along the lines of the labor manager telling tm that company picked the means of communication therefore it was the supervisor's fault for not checking messages.

I totally agree.

We got guys that have unlimited minutes on their cell phone and refuse to make any kind of verbal contact with dispatch during their rolling office hours.
They don't want to waste a mAh of battery charge for the company they work for.
They will only use the DIAD and sit at stops waiting for dispatch to reply back.
It's almost like they have a stick it to the man mission everyday.
I get it. Some get away with it. It's a gray area and it all depends on the driver, but t's amazing how much push and shove, agree to disagree, hatred, deep rooted lines there are with certain people. It's probably why they are the ones always being called into the office with their Union Stewards.

Those days of sitting around, excessively waiting for doors, screwing around inside the customers place is eroding with the DIAD, Telematics and probably the ORION system.
UPS is going to try to change the LTL worlds thinking.

Many managers breed this animosity. UPS isn't going to change anything in LTL. We still have paper receipts. We still collect checks and cash for freight. The only thing that is UPS at this LTL company is the UPS logo. We are running on 20th century technology and processes in the 21st century. It has been 8 years and we still have ovnt and motor cargo equipment. I'll be retired before UPS takes over this company.

Many managers breed this animosity. UPS isn't going to change anything in LTL. We still have paper receipts. We still collect checks and cash for freight. The only thing that is UPS at this LTL company is the UPS logo. We are running on 20th century technology and processes in the 21st century. It has been 8 years and we still have ovnt and motor cargo equipment. I'll be retired before UPS takes over this company.

I agree with slow pace UPS is taking. I don't like it.
I know they realize it was more cost effective to retire tractors and trailers rather than rebrand them.
I got sick of having customers complain about holes in the floor, leaks in the roof, patched like a 2 year old using Fisher Price tools.
Some of our competition is still mis-branded with the exception of FedEx Freight. At least in my area they seem to match.

I have noticed UPS is changing the mentality of customers and customers are reacting faster to us than before, after the mass "Pull Out" at stops we've been doing. If it's ready and we are there between the ready and closing time than load us. If it's not ready when we get there between the ready and close time than we either come back later if another driver is around or....tomorrow is another day. So UPS is making strides in this department of the LTL world.

We've always been behind the current DIAD 8 ball when it comes to paperwork, collecting fees etc. I'm sure that's the sore thumb that they are working on.
I'm curious to know what's taking so long.

The current issue of UPS Freight Over The Road magazine had an article about the Orion system. IMO, If used well, it's an awesome tool that pretty much lowers the learning curve for any driver covering a route and increases the efficiency etc.

I feel we are making strides, have an excellent portfolio of shipping choices for the customers but are still a work in progress.

We are bigger and busier now than ever so that statement is BS!

Don't know where your from here in the Midwest we are giving so much frt away our road board is not getting out. But Warner, Schneider,and ma and pa's trucking still is. Ow wait they are called LHD drivers now. My bad

Don't know where your from here in the Midwest we are giving so much frt away our road board is not getting out. But Warner, Schneider,and ma and pa's trucking still is. Ow wait they are called LHD drivers now. My bad

I think Momoney just might be a FedEx employee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk