Yellow | 14 ft. Knight Trailers

HeadRush

TB Lurker
Credits
After seeing a Knight trailer peeled open like a sardine can, I called a buddy of mine who works there. Since we don't live in a perfect world and you get hooked to one perhaps by mistake, the 7000 series trailers are 14 footers.

After seeing a Knight trailer peeled open like a sardine can, I called a buddy of mine who works there. Since we don't live in a perfect world and you get hooked to one perhaps by mistake, the 7000 series trailers are 14 footers.
You mean 14 ft. high. I think he was pulling you leg. It's my understanding that anything over 13'6" would be over height and I believe you have to have a special permit in many states to pull those

You mean 14 ft. high. I think he was pulling you leg. It's my understanding that anything over 13'6" would be over height and I believe you have to have a special permit in many states to pull those

Have you seen the Knight trailer at CGB? It was empty and attempted to go under a 13' 10" bridge. The trailer was a 7000 series, and I've been told that they're supposed to go straight to the rail yard since they can only be pulled in Mississippi according to an older driver.

There hasn't been much talk about it, which leads me to believe that it wasn't the drivers fault. I took a look at the trailers a couple of times and I didn't see anything that says how high they are. Like I said, we don't live in a perfect world and mistakes happen. How many drivers have been dispatched mistake free?

How you use the information is totally up to you.

Have you seen the Knight trailer at CGB? It was empty and attempted to go under a 13' 10" bridge. The trailer was a 7000 series, and I've been told that they're supposed to go straight to the rail yard since they can only be pulled in Mississippi according to an older driver.

There hasn't been much talk about it, which leads me to believe that it wasn't the drivers fault. I took a look at the trailers a couple of times and I didn't see anything that says how high they are. Like I said, we don't live in a perfect world and mistakes happen. How many drivers have been dispatched mistake free?

How you use the information is totally up to you.
I'm not say it didn't happen it just strikes me as odd.

oops

It's not 14 foot high now, is it?:biglaugh:

If they are 14' how are they going to even get them to the rail yard. As I recall most of the rail yards in CGB have over passes that you have to go under to get to them don't they?

If they are 14' how are they going to even get them to the rail yard. As I recall most of the rail yards in CGB have over passes that you have to go under to get to them don't they?
The overpass leading to the Tri-State on 95th St. is 13'10"

Good question, because I don't even know how they got to the yard in the first place. All I know is that I saw what's left of the trailer, knew that my friend pulls the 14' high trailers, and asked him for the info. just in case the same mistake happened to me. Whether it was a linehaul or city driver that it happened to, I don't know. As I said before, there hasn't been much if any talk of it. As of last night, what's left of the trailer is still sitting in the yard.

I can't answer all of the what, where, who, why, and if questions. I wouldn't want it to happen to me, and I'm not one to be stingy with information. Neither am I one to make up stories or spread false information.

Knight Trailers

we have one of these in our yard that is peeled..what are people thinking when they come up with this crap. Are they high? Are they going to make the overpasses go up with the push of a button...come on people wake up...:butt kiss:

Hhhmmmm

Sometimes they asphalt under overpasses and forget to fix the signs, especially in Chicago . . .

I understand that however how is doing this more height is asking for trouble...all they are after is to move more freight for them selfs. They are giving these 14fts to us and not saying anything to the drivers like by the way you need to pay attention because you now have a 14ft height trailer. Can you say more accidents and fewer drivers in the future.:smilie_132:

Years ago when I worked for Swift, we had 14ft trailers. They were clearly marked with labels and a special map that highlighted what states they could be pulled through. We used them here in California without any problem ever. Unfortunately without the labels there was no way by just looking at them you could remotely tell they were 14 ft high.

National Master Freight Agreement

Article 16, section 6, paragraph (g);

(g) All company trailers shall be marked for height.

They're legal in some states according to the size restrictions listed in the front part of my atlas. I couldn't even imagine anyone would want to run 14' high trailers in Chicagoland. It's bad enough trying to get around with a trailer that's 13'6".

I drove for Knight back in 2001 when I was lay ed off and they do have trls. that are 14ft high but they are not to be pulled east of the Mississippi river

We had a couple of 14' trailers at STL ( another company's equipment) and someone pulled one of them into our shop and ripped down the motor that opens the shop door. That trailer came from east of the Mississippi.

14 Ft

Years ago when I worked for Swift, we had 14ft trailers. They were clearly marked with labels and a special map that highlighted what states they could be pulled through. We used them here in California without any problem ever. Unfortunately without the labels there was no way by just looking at them you could remotely tell they were 14 ft high.

This trailer in our yard was not marked I walked all around it for a good 30 mins. Its too bad that they wounld not mark them for transit. normally when the trailer getsd deleverd it is marked by that company.