FedEx Freight | 16 hour rule

What Is the Adverse Driving Conditions Exception? If unexpected adverse driving conditions slow you down, you may drive up to 2 extra hours to complete what could have been driven in normal conditions. This means you could dr ive for up to 13 hours, which is 2 hours more than allowed under normal conditions. Adverse driving conditions mean things that you did not know about when you started your run, like snow, fog, or a shut-down of traffic due to a crash. Adverse driving conditions do not include situations that you should have known about, such as congested traffic during typical “rush hour” periods. Even though you may drive 2 extra hours under this exception, you must not drive after the 14th consecutive hour after coming on duty. Example: You come to work at 7:00 a.m., start driving at 8:00 a.m., and drive 9 hours when you hit heavy fog at 5:00 p.m. The fog was not forecasted. At this point, the adverse driving conditions exception would allow you to drive for 4 more hours (2 hours to get to 11 and 2 extra hours due to the fog), taking you to 9:00 p.m. for a total of 13 hours of driving. If, however, you come to work at 7:00 a.m., start driving at 12:00 p.m. and drive into fog at 5:00 p.m., you could still only drive until 9:00 p. m. for a total of 9 hours of driving. You would have to stop driving at 9:00 p.m. because you would have reached the 14-hour limit. This regulation is found in Section 395.1(b).

This rule will stay the same next year.The 16hr exception rule will be gone

What Is the 16-Hour Short-Haul Exception?
If you usually come back to your work-reporting location and go home at the end of your workday, you might be able to use the 16-hour short-haul exception. This exception allows you to extend the 14-consecutive-hour duty period once every 7 consecutive days. In order to use this exception, you must do the following:

You must return to your work reporting location that day, as well as for your last 5 duty tours. A duty tour is the period of time from when you come to work to when you leave work. It is your “workday,” the time between your off-duty periods of at least 10 consecutive hours.

You must be released from duty within 16 hours after coming on duty.

You must only use this exception once every 7 consecutive days (unless you took 34 consecutive hours off to restart a 7/8-day period).
You may not use this exception if you qualify for the “Non-CDL Short Haul Exception” explained earlier.
This regulation is found in Section 395.1(o).

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/topics/hos/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
So let's summarize the debate here......

-THE 16 HOUR RULE DOESN'T EXTEND THE DRIVE TIME HOURS....ONLY THE WORK HRS(ON DUTY NOT DRIVING HOURS)?
-THE ADVERSE WEATHER CONDITIONS RULE EXTENDS YOUR DRIVE FROM 11HRS TO 13HRS TO GET TO A SAFE HAVEN OR TO COMPLETE THE RUN BUT YOUR TOTAL TOUR OF DUTY CAN'T EXCEED 14HRS(DRIVE TIME + ON DUTY NOT DRIVING)?

The 16hr rule sounds to be at advantage for short shuttle drivers who work the patio all night....alot of on duty not driving hrs

the 11hr drive time extension to 13hrs but cannot exceed a total of 14hrs in a tour of duty....is to be at advantage for your meet&turn drivers/hub turn/layover drivers......runs with alot of drive time & little on duty not driving time/or should i say fixed pay time.

FXF will be fighting for survival in the next few years. So, all this BS about exceptions to the stated HOS rules can be flushed right down the toilet. Just like our Common Sense. If you are fired for an HOS violation... you now have the best evidence available, a computing device that you signed on to at a specific time. If you believe that they are watching these "Labor-Saving Devices"-they have fired entire (Payroll) dept. we drivers don't have much to worry about.

I'm just sayin'... Drivers actually produce revenue. Backroom personnel who process Payroll DO NOT produce revenue. In Case you ain't noticed FXF has changed from an LTL company into a "Profit Producing Division of FEDEX corp". And we have to produce to survive. I'm just sayin'.

there are two primary rules of hours of service
1) 14 hour rule, thou shall not drive after the 14th clock hour after coming on duty. Punch at 7am, 14 hours later you hit the 14, 9pm
2) 11 hour rule, thou shall not drive more than 11 hours. Total accumulated drive time 11 hours.

Now inside the 14 hour rule lives the 16 hour exception, extending the 14 to 16 hours. Thou shall not drive (does not mention working) beyond the 16 hour after coming on duty

Inside the 11 hour rule lives the "adverse DRIVING exception" This extends the amount of cumulative drive time to 13 hours for conditions not known at the time of dispatching, road, traffic, and weather conditions.

and there is no crossing over or double exceptions allowed. Use your 16 and you must still only drive 11 hours, use your adverse driving exception and you must complete the 13 hours driving within 14 hours from coming on duty.

Companies have been debating this rule since it's inception. I look at it this way.

1) You may extend your driving hours to 13 once per week as long as you do not exceed the 14 hour limit

OR

2)You make extend your hours to 16 once per week as long as you do not exceed the 11 hours of driving limit

One of these scenarios is correct depending on the interpretation of the Trooper involved. All I know for sure is what I posted in a previous post which came straight from the book( literally) I cut and pasted from the FMCSA website.

How about the word "no"

And how about if a center runs you over to where you have to use a 16 you ask them where the hotel is ?
In order to remain safe, any and every driver has to grow a set of balls. Get a hold of these guys if your running unsafe. Don't be part of the problem

Contact Us - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
I wood like to post a response but my balls keep getting in the way of my keyboard, you tell though corn chip cowboy!!!!

I wood like to post a response but my balls keep getting in the way of my keyboard, you tell though corn chip cowboy!!!!

By golly I can't tell if he's a friend or foe ? I say he's a friend. I like friends

Sheet I never have time to snag a box or two of chips. I was hoping you had some chips.