XPO | 16 hr rule

Do you log it as driving time? Everyone I know logs it as on duty not driving. It may be different once we have ELD's, but for now, if you aren't on driving time it doesn't count as using your 16.
Put it this way. If your 14 is up and you arrive at your gate at 10 pm, and then take say a half hour to put away your trailers, and you are being paid, on duty not driving, and are done at 1030pm, you cannot start work again until 830 the next day for 10 hours off. If you came back in at 0800, and get in an accident that day, I guarantee they will pull those records into the court proceedings and find you in violation of your hours.

Put it this way. If your 14 is up and you arrive at your gate at 10 pm, and then take say a half hour to put away your trailers, and you are being paid, on duty not driving, and are done at 1030pm, you cannot start work again until 830 the next day for 10 hours off. If you came back in at 0800, and get in an accident that day, I guarantee they will pull those records into the court proceedings and find you in violation of your hours.
Yes, of course you still need 10 hours off duty, but you would still have your 16 available to use that week if you did not go over 14 out on the road "driving".

Yes, of course you still need 10 hours off duty, but you would still have your 16 available to use that week if you did not go over 14 out on the road "driving".
Not if you are paid to do anything after 14 hours. You just went into you 15th

That's not true, re-read your post. That explains it. You return to the same place every day.
Mabey you can come to court with me and explain to the state that regulation and get my ticket taken away. I talked directly to the DOT officer. He explained the rule to me as he was writing me my ticket

Mabey you can come to court with me and explain to the state that regulation and get my ticket taken away. I talked directly to the DOT officer. He explained the rule to me as he was writing me my ticket
Print off both your and my posts from the first page. They are right out of the rule book, and you will get off. We had an officer at the scale one time that wasn't aware of the rule, but the driver showed him right in the regs what the rule was and the officer apologized.

Print off both your and my posts from the first page. They are right out of the rule book, and you will get off. We had an officer at the scale one time that wasn't aware of the rule, but the driver showed him right in the regs what the rule was and the officer apologized.
Ok. I appreciate the feed back

Well had a driver run out of hours an hour and a half away from the barnthat was on as 14 the manager got on the phone and told him to bring it inI would think. Supersedes anything that, Conway wants you to do right and this was Tuesday morning right after the meeting about how they preach safety the driver does not have to use his 16 l didn't think I just want to make sure I'm reading the law correctly
The rule is for adverse conditions only! Not for getting your scm's freight back. Been there done that call HR and it wont happen again.

16-Hour Short-Haul Exception §395.1(o)

For drivers of property-carrying commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) who drive locally, there is an exception to the 14-hour rule (which requires that drivers of property-carrying CMVs stop driving upon reaching the 14th consecutive hour after first coming on duty). The so-called "short-haul" exception allows these drivers to extend the 14-hour period by two hours once per week, under certain conditions.

A driver can drive a CMV after the 14th hour after coming on duty, but not after the 16th hour, IF he or she:

• Was released from duty at the normal work reporting location for the previous 5 duty tours, and
  • Returns to the normal work reporting location and is released from duty within 16 hours, and
  • Has not used this exception in the previous 6 consecutive days, except following a 34-hour restart.
Drivers claiming this exception remain subject to the 11-hour driving limit, but they essentially have an extra two hours in which to complete that driving.

Note that a 34-hour restart will allow a driver to use this exception more than once every 6 days, but a restart will not affect the requirement that the driver must have returned to the normal work reporting location for the previous 5 duty tours.

Short-haul drivers who normally use the 100-air-mile exception and do not complete a standard grid log will have to complete a log on days when they use the short-haul exception, because they are working beyond the 12-hour limit (see the 100-air-mile-radius driver topic for more information).

For information on the non-CDL short-haul driver exception, for those who stay within a 150 air-mile radius, refer to the Non-CDL-Driver Short-Haul Exception topic.

Note: There is no definition of "short haul" or "normal work reporting location." These terms are generally understood to refer to drivers who start from and return to the same location on a daily basis.

16-Hour Short-Haul Exception §395.1(o)

For drivers of property-carrying commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) who drive locally, there is an exception to the 14-hour rule (which requires that drivers of property-carrying CMVs stop driving upon reaching the 14th consecutive hour after first coming on duty). The so-called "short-haul" exception allows these drivers to extend the 14-hour period by two hours once per week, under certain conditions.

A driver can drive a CMV after the 14th hour after coming on duty, but not after the 16th hour, IF he or she:

• Was released from duty at the normal work reporting location for the previous 5 duty tours, and
  • Returns to the normal work reporting location and is released from duty within 16 hours, and
  • Has not used this exception in the previous 6 consecutive days, except following a 34-hour restart.
Drivers claiming this exception remain subject to the 11-hour driving limit, but they essentially have an extra two hours in which to complete that driving.

Note that a 34-hour restart will allow a driver to use this exception more than once every 6 days, but a restart will not affect the requirement that the driver must have returned to the normal work reporting location for the previous 5 duty tours.

Short-haul drivers who normally use the 100-air-mile exception and do not complete a standard grid log will have to complete a log on days when they use the short-haul exception, because they are working beyond the 12-hour limit (see the 100-air-mile-radius driver topic for more information).

For information on the non-CDL short-haul driver exception, for those who stay within a 150 air-mile radius, refer to the Non-CDL-Driver Short-Haul Exception topic.

Note: There is no definition of "short haul" or "normal work reporting location." These terms are generally understood to refer to drivers who start from and return to the same location on a daily basis.

Many of us keep copies of this with us when running line haul. The cop will usually change the ticket and/or remove that particular violation.

The rule is for adverse conditions only! Not for getting your scm's freight back. Been there done that call HR and it wont happen again.
You are confusing the short hall exception with the adverse driving rule which allows us to extend 11 hours to 13 hours of driving in a 14 hour period due to unforeseen weather or traffic situations such as road closures due to major accidents. Allows us to return to home terminal or a safe haven.

That's
You are confusing the short hall exception with the adverse driving rule which allows us to extend 11 hours to 13 hours of driving in a 14 hour period due to unforeseen weather or traffic situations such as road closures due to major accidents. Allows us to return to home terminal or a safe haven.
That's what I said.

Anything over 14hrs punch to punch counts as your one 16hr for the week. Punch in at 19:53, your clock starts at 20:00 in your log. Punch out at 08:08 the next morning, you just used your 16 for the week(pending no re-set of hours mid week).

[QUdutyE="icedriver, post: 989072, member: 32738"]Do you log it as driving time? Everyone I know logs it as on duty not driving. It may be different once we have ELD's, but for now, if you aren't on driving time it doesn't count as using your 16.[/QUOTE]
On duty time on the yard.

[QUdutyE="icedriver, post: 989072, member: 32738"]Do you log it as driving time? Everyone I know logs it as on duty not driving. It may be different once we have ELD's, but for now, if you aren't on driving time it doesn't count as using your 16.
On duty time on the yard.[/QUOTE]

The whole reason we don't use ELD's yet is because we are all expected to break the law so frequently than they couldn't cover it if we had to run legal.