TForce | 1800 managers let go

Overnite

TB Veteran
Credits
1800 managers will be let go starting next week center managers and up.

That is alot of people and alot of $avings.

How can UPS boot that many?
Do they have others to replace them?

Every ship needs their captains or they will just sail around in circles,and wind up on the rocks.

1800 managers will be let go starting next week center managers and up.

That is alot of people and alot of $avings.

Wow. What types of managers are affected?
If Terminal managers are included, are there going to be traveling TM's or TM's from the Parcel side doing both?

I notice some terminals are pretty self sufficient without TM's. Everything seems to be running out of corporate.

Oh my,my, MY!!!

I remember back in the day when Union Pacific Rail Road tried to do that very same thing.
The thing was back then the Rail Road folks were clueless about door to door freight operations and they almost derailed Overnite.

I'm not saying parcel folks have no clue of the freight operation like the Rail Road.
However the parcel end is a bit different in that they have smaller vehicles and can get more pieces delivered in the same time as freight,because their drivers can pull into small places jump out with their packages and hurry in to make their deliveries.

Where tractor trailers need docks a lot of the time,and sometimes have to wait for other trucking companies to get the use of the dock.

Well I'm not telling you anything new,I could go on and on about the different operations between parcel,and freight but what would be the point?

I'm happy I'm retired,and wish the rest of you the best.

How is that a good idea ?

Very good question.

They might be too top heavy in other forms of management.
Manager of bathroom cleanliness, manager of coffee making, manager of driver observations, manager of sitting in a grievance hearing with duct tape over mouth...Just being silly until details emerge.

You're right. It didn't mention anything about UPSF managers.
I guess they can put the bricks back in for now?
Thanks for posting the article sppollock. :thumbsup:

The 1800 managers to be canned are from UPS small package. They are re-organizing that side and are combining regions and are downsizing regional management staffs. It has nothing to do with the freight side....yet.

You're right. It didn't mention anything about UPSF managers.
I guess they can put the bricks back in for now?
Thanks for posting the article sppollock. :thumbsup:

Your welcome. I had just read that article just before logging onto truckingboards, so it was fresh in my mind and computer. Have a great day.

here,s a link from local TV

UPS Announces Job Cuts - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville

UPS Announces Job Cuts
1,800 Management, Administrative Positions Will Be Eliminated
POSTED: 10:52 am EST January 8, 2010
UPDATED: 10:59 am EST January 8, 2010

ATLANTA, GA. -- UPS announced it will cut 1,800 management and administrative positions to streamline its U.S. package segment.

The world's largest package delivery company said Friday that about 1,100 employees will be offered a voluntary separation package as part of the work force reduction.

At first glance, it looks like a 1-800 phone number.

It's the number of managerial/administrative jobs they are looking to eliminate.

Info for UPS Parcel not UPS Freight

As a result of the changes, we will need fewer managers, division managers, region staff managers, and district managers than we currently employ. A Special Restructuring Program (SRP) is being offered to eligible managers. Eligibility requirements are specifically defined in the SRP Decision Guide which was sent to the homes of eligible managers............

More detailed information, CEO video, the restructuring map and timeline is available in your UPSer's portal.

Hay I'm glad this was unfounded that UPS was booting UPS Freight managers.
But I'm sure I'm not as happy to hear this then any of the UPS Freight managers themselves.

Even though I'm retired now I'm receiving monthly pension payments from UPS so I'm happy to see UPS corporate keeping their mitts out of their freight operation.

There is a memo that specificaly says ups freight managers are not included in the group that will be offered "another position" but it used another term SPR or somthing like that.

Hay I'm glad this was unfounded that UPS was booting UPS Freight managers.
But I'm sure I'm not as happy to hear this then any of the UPS Freight managers themselves.

Even though I'm retired now I'm receiving monthly pension payments from UPS so I'm happy to see UPS corporate keeping their mitts out of their freight operation.

I told you in another post that the CEO was a bean counter. They are probably already looking at the freight side.
This isn't the first management buy out. There was one in the mid '90's.
1800 is a drop in the bucket it should be more.