XPO | 2 hour extension

waterskier

TB Lurker
Credits
Hey men. Waterskier here. Been watching for a few months, this is my first post. I spent 16 years @ xac and moved to Phoenix two years ago. Trust me, it is no better out here than back there. My question is how do they use the two hour extension on your log where you are at? Out here, it is used as a tool by reship management to get you to work an extra 2 hours on their dock. Wrong, wrong , wrong. The way I understand it is that the extra two hours is to be used to get a driver home or to the next safe haven in case of weather, emergency, break-down whatever. A lack of planning on their part does not constitute an emergency on my part!!! Brutus, you seem to be the wizard on this channel, what do you think? Thanks guys. I really enjoy Trucking Boards and I'm looking forward to all of your responses.

Hey men. Waterskier here. Been watching for a few months, this is my first post. I spent 16 years @ xac and moved to Phoenix two years ago. Trust me, it is no better out here than back there. My question is how do they use the two hour extension on your log where you are at? Out here, it is used as a tool by reship management to get you to work an extra 2 hours on their dock. Wrong, wrong , wrong. The way I understand it is that the extra two hours is to be used to get a driver home or to the next safe haven in case of weather, emergency, break-down whatever. A lack of planning on their part does not constitute an emergency on my part!!! Brutus, you seem to be the wizard on this channel, what do you think? Thanks guys. I really enjoy Trucking Boards and I'm looking forward to all of your responses.

Welcome to the boards Waterskier, It's great to have you here.

You are correct about the 2 hour extension. It is not to be used to get an additional 2 hours of work out of you.
It is mostly for emergency situations, breakdowns and weather as you mentioned.

One other thing, you can only use the extension to complete a run if that run could be made if it were not for the breakdown, weather, emergency............etc.

weclome Waterskier

we have guys that use it every week. I've use it about 4 time this past year.
this has been talked about here before and no one can agree on when it's is to be use.the best thing do if your not sure about it call the fed D.O.T.
I've been told that we can use it others have been told they can not.

Thank you for the warm welcom. But that does not solve the problem. Example: Your a line dsr. It's busy at your terminal today. O/B FOS calls you in early to work a little dock. Now it's 9:00 pm and L/H adds another run and you are the only one left. You get to the reship with just enough time to drop and hook and get back home on your 14 hours. Reship FOS laughs at you when you tell him ya gotta go. Says you got an extension to use and report to sector two. Sound familiar to anyone?

Thank you for the warm welcom. But that does not solve the problem. Example: Your a line dsr. It's busy at your terminal today. O/B FOS calls you in early to work a little dock. Now it's 9:00 pm and L/H adds another run and you are the only one left. You get to the reship with just enough time to drop and hook and get back home on your 14 hours. Reship FOS laughs at you when you tell him ya gotta go. Says you got an extension to use and report to sector two. Sound familiar to anyone?

Waterskier, the example you mentioned is NOT the 2 hour extension was intended to do.

Your FOS is wrong. Keep in mind that it's your license, your job and your fine if you get caught violating the DOT rules.

I hope this helps

Waterskier, I've been doing some research on this issue and I'm finding conflicting information.

Disregard what I've said previously till I can narrow this down.

Who would have ever thought the the Federal Govt would release conflicting information.:duh: :hysterical:

Call linehaul,i have more then once.

There is a new 2 hour extension as of 1/06, once a week you can extend to a 16 hour work day providing :1) you have not had a overnight run (returned to home domicile every day/night). 2) hours don't exceed 60/70hour. 3) don't exceed 11 hours drive time. I'm no longer at the Conway, left about a year ago, doing peddle for a food company and have used it many times, in fact we are on paperless logs and it will come up on the screen and ask if you want invoke the 16 hour rule if your running short. I had to watch my phrasing of "over-night" being thats what alot of you are doing, working over nights. THANKS

The 2 hour adverse weather and the 2 hour extension are two different things.

(b) Adverse driving conditions. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (h)(2) of this section, a driver who encounters adverse driving conditions, as defined in § 395.2, and cannot, because of those conditions, safely complete the run within the maximum driving time permitted by §§ 395.3(a) or 395.5(a) may drive and be permitted or required to drive a commercial motor vehicle for not more than 2 additional hours in order to complete that run or to reach a place offering safety for the occupants of the commercial motor vehicle and security for the commercial motor vehicle and its cargo. However, that driver may not drive or be permitted to drive-

(b)(1)(ii) After the end of the 14th hour since coming on duty following 10 consecutive hours off duty for drivers of property-carrying commercial motor vehicles;

E-4. May a driver utilize the adverse driving rule, which extends the driving time by two additional hours, in conjunction with the 16-hour exception?
No. A driver may not use the exception for adverse driving conditions while also using the 16-hour exception for property-carrying drivers. Section 395.1(b)(1)(ii) of the adverse driving conditions exception specifically states that a property-carrying driver may not drive or be permitted to drive after he/she has been on-duty after the end of the 14 th hour after coming on-duty following 10 consecutive hours off-duty.

Adverse driving conditions means snow, sleet, fog, other adverse weather conditions, a highway covered with snow or ice, or unusual road and traffic conditions, none of which were apparent on the basis of information known to the person dispatching the run at the time it was begun

Property-carrying driver. A property-carrying driver is exempt from the requirements of §395.3(a)(2) if:

(o)(1) The driver has returned to the driver's normal work reporting location and the carrier released the driver from duty at that location for the previous five duty tours the driver has worked;

(o)(2) The driver has returned to the normal work reporting location and the carrier releases the driver from duty within 16 hours after coming on duty following 10 consecutive hours off duty; and

(o)(3) The driver has not taken this exemption within the previous 6 consecutive days, except when the driver has begun a new 7- or 8- consecutive day period with the beginning of any off-duty period of 34 or more consecutive hours as allowed by §395.3(c).

So what you are quoting says yes they can make us work 16 hours one day a week provided no overnites and they release us after 16 hours. Next question is it mandatory or optional? Obviously I'm trying to get out of this anyway I can.

So what you are quoting says yes they can make us work 16 hours one day a week provided no overnites and they release us after 16 hours. Next question is it mandatory or optional? Obviously I'm trying to get out of this anyway I can.

I think it depends on company policy. I work for FDXF we have no choice.:chairshot:

Once you go over your 14 they can only do it to you once. But you have to be out of your domicile past the 14hr. So if you hit the yard right at your 14hr, your drop doesnt count towards the 16hr exception. Make sure you hit your yard at 14.25 hrs minimum then do your drop. And that way they can only do it to you one time in six days. Unless you have a 34hr restart.

Try doing what we did at our terminal.

1)...
We had a case where a particular F.O.M. (from an un-named Minnesota FAC!) was notorious for pulling that stunt (especially to the newbies!) until we as L/H drivers decided to "go-with-the-flow" and let him do that to several of us. We wouldn't complain about it to him (since I think he loved hearing us worrying about our available "hours of service"). In several instances he burned up a couple of drivers' hours from our terminal, so they became unavailable for their standard bid runs that following night.
See where I'm going with this?
Our Outbound F.O.S. all of a sudden started getting sick and tired of not having drivers to cover her L/H runs. Well, as it turns out...we also help cover that FAC's overflow runs with via's from our barn through theirs (because they would rather sit their drivers and use ours instead, saves them money). Well, we barely had drivers to cover our runs and no longer had the drivers available to help them out. Plus, other barns had to swing through our place to cover our overflow runs. Now they were losing their drivers' hours too! It was snowballing beautifully!!:hysterical:
When we explained to the FAC TM, XGO (and XGO Linehaul) why...things changed rather quickly.

2) Here's the other thing...
When our drivers would run out of hours and need to be picked up (which costs our terminal money, to put 2 more guys on the clock and go rescue the stranded driver), our TM would let XGO know that it was done because of mismanagement from the particular FAC. They began to see a trend developing and that put the kabosh on that routine.:tongue0015:

So play the game and play it a little better than they do and you'll win...besides, some of them (out of "hours of service" and "16-hour" days) paychecks were huge!!:1036316054:

:tongue0015:
Just tell them to F%$# off and go home.What are they going to do,fire you?:tongue0015:

yes.........

Yeah that's what I thought.I was being a smart @#$.It is very frustrating to deal with people that have no knowledge of the law.Seems like it could raise a liability issue if someone got hurt.very sad.

your drop time does go on your 14hrs so does your fuel.any time on the clock in a shift goes on your 14 hrs.go over in the yrd an day by 15 min.and you have used your 16 hr rule and they cannt mess with youtell next week i got a letter for going 15 mins over 2 times in 0ne week.in the yd.