XPO | 200 lose jobs at Con-way

Here's an idea if ya really want to save the company money and I mean some serious money out source your CEO and his boyz. These big wigs all remind me of the head sheep that leads the rest to slaughter , only difference is the real sheep don't know the difference because its a dumb animal .:ranting2:

151 more people on the goverment payroll and how much of a paycut did the other 49 take? This country keeps sending jobs overseas, no paycheck,no purchases,no economy.

The All-American home grown company with values and integrity has once again proven you are just another number in the system to be dismissed at any time.

I wonder how many of these fine folks were 'engaged employees'...a lot of good it did for those that were.

As I have said time and time again...these people aren't to be trusted.

Run Forrest!....Run!

Rat :busted:

Two hundred Con-way workers will lose their jobs Monday as the company contracts out administrative and information technology services.

Con-way, the company that took over Consolidated Freightways, will eliminate about a fourth of its work force at its Northwest Portland campus, leaving about 600 employees. The trucking operations will remain.

20Share
The administrative jobs will be going to WNS Inc., based in Mumbai, India, and the IT jobs to Hewlett Packard.

The jobs in both categories will be moved to various operations centers in India and the U.S., said company spokesman Gary Frantz.

“Research showed the two areas we focused on — administrative business processes and IT infrastructure operations — have qualified vendors, proven solutions and are outsourced consistently across many industries,” said Jackie Barretta, senior vice president and chief information officer for Con-way.

“While there are cost advantages, we also benefit through the expanded capabilities and resources of our vendors, which allow us to accelerate improvements faster than we could do so ourselves,” Barretta said. “ When all the factors were considered, this was the best strategy to meet the business challenges we face as a company today and in the future.”

India has become the world’s back office, where companies have set up call centers and IT outlets to cut costs.

But it’s difficult to say how many jobs have been moved overseas, because companies are not required to keep statistics. But Boston-based consultancy Forrester estimates that 400,000 service jobs have been lost to offshoring since 2000.

“I’m not thrilled about losing my job, but what are you going to do?” said David Sundberg, a 33-year-old systems administrator whose last day is Monday.

The Oregon State University grad has worked for Con-way for seven-and-a-half years. He hasn’t started looking for another job.

David’s father, Alex Sundberg, is more blunt: “Corporations are selling out America,” he said. “We have to compete in a worldwide market, and it’s pretty hard to compete with India on wages.”

Con-way, a transportation and logistics company, and its subsidiaries operate from more than 450 operating locations across North America and in 17 countries across five continents.

The company announced in November that it was looking into outsourcing for its Portland operation, and workers were told in March when their jobs would end.

Laid-off employees qualified for a separation package that included severance pay, a retention bonus and other compensation, Frantz said.

The company also has been providing affected employees with outplacement services, and has been holding job fairs and other employment development support activities.

Of the 200 laid off employees, 49 have been hired by one of the outsourcing providers, Franz said.

No other Portland-based functions are being considered for outsourcing at this time, and the company expects to remain a major employer in the city for the foreseeable future, he said.

Laid off employees may be eligible for benefits under the Federal Trade Adjustment Act, which provides training and other benefits to workers who have lost their job as a result of foreign trade.

The company qualified for certification on behalf of its employees, according to the Oregon Department of Community Colleges and Workforce Development.

The outsourcing had no effect on employment at Con-way trucking operations in Portland, Frantz said.

And the decision does not affect Con-way’s plans for development of its real estate holdings in Northwest Portland, he said.

I am already catching flak about this from customers. Many are threatening to stop using us because they "are American companies that want to ship with American companies". I hope we do not loose the many customers that are commenting about this, I pray it is just angry talk.

What Con-Way did here was morally wrong......I'm concerned that we will outsource more jobs as time goes on as well. This will happen until we get a Government that WILL come up with a way to make it BENEFICIAL for companies to KEEP THEIR JOBS in the U.S. Obamacare, Job Outsourcing and 'So-Called Stimulating The Economy'......remember ALL OF THIS when we vote in November!

The views here are mine only and not Con-Way Freight's

Last edited by a moderator:
I am already catching flak about this from customers. Many are threatening to stop using us because they "are American companies that want to ship with American companies". I hope we do not loose the many customers that are commenting about this, I pray it is just angry talk.
I say go for those customers that no longer want to business with such a company as Conway I wouldn't want anything to do with a company that turns its back on American workers . If this outsourcing should become successful the day will come when they will figure a way to get rid of the drivers as well , ever think about that? Once they start to loose customers they will rethink about their greed and bring the jobs back to the good old U S A . Why don't you pray for your fellow American Conway workers instead of outsourcing American jobs ?:butt kiss:

What Con-Way did here was morally wrong......I'm concerned that we will outsource more jobs as time goes on as well. This will happen until we get a Government that WILL come up with a way to make it BENEFICIAL for companies to KEEP THEIR JOBS in the U.S. Obamacare, Job Outsourcing and 'So-Called Stimulating The Economy'......remember ALL OF THIS when we vote in November!

The views here are mine only and not Con-Way Freight's
What is voting for the Republicans going to do: they are bigger lovers of cheap labor than the Dems. All these companies that out source have CEO's that are Republican minded thats why business support the Republicans. Ya really can't blame Obama for this out souring it was the Republicans that gave the companies tax credits to off shore years ago . The one thing about the Dems. they usually kiss ya before they screw ya . Both really aren't any good for labor union or not . :ranting2:

Yeah. Quit sending American jobs overseas. How many of you are driving Hondas, Toyotas, Kias, or Hyundais? :regretful:
And what do you dirve? You listed 2 companies that employ a larger percentage of american workers that the so called american car companies. You want to support the american economy? Buy a Toyota. Toyota's are built right here in the USA, and they are against outsourcing. They want parts suppliers close to the factories to stay in line with thier lean thinking, so most parts are also built right here.

As far as the out sourcing, we all knew it was coming. It was on more than 1 Monday meeting, no sense complaining now, it's done.

There is no sense in complaining at all, they couldn't care less what we think of this or any other of the "enhancements" that are sure to follow.

And what do you dirve? You listed 2 companies that employ a larger percentage of american workers that the so called american car companies. You want to support the american economy? Buy a Toyota. Toyota's are built right here in the USA, and they are against outsourcing. They want parts suppliers close to the factories to stay in line with thier lean thinking, so most parts are also built right here.

As far as the out sourcing, we all knew it was coming. It was on more than 1 Monday meeting, no sense complaining now, it's done.

Toyotas may be built in the US, but the profits go home to Japan. I've never owned anything but American cars.

Toyotas may be built in the US, but the profits go home to Japan. I've never owned anything but American cars.

Are you serious? This is a joke right? Profits are a tiny percentage of revenue. You'd buy an American car over a foriegn one, even knowing that 95% of that money goes to another country? Here's a list of the top 10 cars that will help the US economy the most:

1.Toyota Camry
2.Honda Accord
3.Ford Escape
4.Ford Focus
5.Chevrolet Malibu
6.Honda Odyssey
7.Dodge Ram 1500 (except for single cab, which is made in Mexico)
8.Toyota Tundra
9.Jeep Wrangler
10.Toyota Sienna

It's pretty sad with all the models that Ford and GM offer, they could only secure 3 spots on the top 10 list. All the cars on this list have 75% or more American made parts and use American labor to assemble.

By your thinking, outsroucing is a great idea. Cheaper labor so our american company makes more profit. This is nonsense.

really you think you by an american car there is not a car thats built in this country that is true american all the metal the parts are from foreign countries hell the machines that they use are not american come on guys there is not anything true 100% american any more

and if you think conway is the only trucking company doing this