FedEx Freight | 289's: Canadian Pups

Canadian Flyer

They Call Me CF, Eh
Credits
I'm just gonna post this here in hope of helping everyone out. Some of you have undoubtedly seen and hauled 289's. These belong to FXFC, and are owned and licenced out of Canada. I should warn you guys that pulling one of these with American domestic freight on board is illegal under interstating laws. Using them as Mtys is fine, as is using them with freight from or to Canada.

I bring this up for a couple of reasons. One being that FXFC was fined for hauling Canadian domestic freight on American pups, and another being that the bosses up here are going to start looking into forcing interstating recognition on you guys to save our trailers.

Bottom line, be aware. Report these trailers for return to Canada when you see them or haul them. It will save everyone a lot of headache.

Unfortunately, us drivers have no say in which trailers are used for what purpose.
The red shirts will just load up any empty trailer they can with whatever they need, with no thought into what trailer it is.

Prime example is watching them reload a trailer that has been written up as unusable/broken, etc., and they don't notice until its full and they try to close the thing, then some poor fool of a driver is tasked to swing the whole thing into another trailer.

We have about 20 or so of these in Seattle. The hostlers hate them like no other because they all have nose stands, and the newer ones are typically soaked in 5th wheel grease from a poor design making the nose stand equal to the height of the floor. I'm led to believe the only difference between them and other trailers is our shops don't perform PMAs on them, they rely on Canada to do so. If they come down from canada with freight we send them on their way, never see them again and nobody ever says anything about it. They gave us 15 brand new 289s when they opened the new terminal for Canada in vancouver. We have 2 left.

I would think if it were illegal the company would put a bigger effort into routing them to the gateways. Maybe if enough people get fined they will :duh:

I mentioned this to my SCM a couple of years ago. I believe FXF has some authority to run them in the US just like the pups here. Conway had a thread about this a couple of years ago and that's why I asked my SCM. Nothing changed in the way we use the 289 pups so I presume Harrison said it was OK

I know that an American carrier can not pick up and deliver freight in Canada and vice versa, but I don't think it holds true for just trailers of freight if the road unit is proper.

Never heard that before. I think with some of the equipment we use, I don't think they will care about where the trailers are from. They might be more worried about the defects that some drivers don't write up or the shop wont fix..

I still see Motor Cargo and Overnite pups being used by UPS Freight, not to mention Yellow and Roadway ones for YRC and those companies are gone from the US DOT registry, so I'm thinking it's the power unit that makes the difference.

roog

Most Canadian provinces are part of the IRP, any trailer licensed in an IRP state (all 48 of them) is considered licensed and legal to run in any other IRP state, this includes Canada. Tractors are only allowed to run the states they license for. Back in 2000, they threatened to kick California out of the IRP over this.. They required trailers to be licensed in CA to run there. Re what Roogie says above, you can put anything you want on the trailers, but tractors must have the legal name of the registered owner on them, along with correct DOT number.

Most Canadian provinces are part of the IRP, any trailer licensed in an IRP state (all 48 of them) is considered licensed and legal to run in any other IRP state, this includes Canada. Tractors are only allowed to run the states they license for. Back in 2000, they threatened to kick California out of the IRP over this.. They required trailers to be licensed in CA to run there. Re what Roogie says above, you can put anything you want on the trailers, but tractors must have the legal name of the registered owner on them, along with correct DOT number.
This is the problem though. Harrison doesn't own our pups, even though they own us. The legal name of the registered owner of 289's is FedEx Freight Canada. We are a different company with a different DOT number. I know that Ground in the US just keeps their Canadian pups at international hubs so they don't get in trouble. Apparently it's a big problem because they have too many of them.

This is the problem though. Harrison doesn't own our pups, even though they own us. The legal name of the registered owner of 289's is FedEx Freight Canada. We are a different company with a different DOT number. I know that Ground in the US just keeps their Canadian pups at international hubs so they don't get in trouble. Apparently it's a big problem because they have too many of them.

None of that matters, as long as FXF Canada gives FXF US permission to pull the pups. I know a little about the subject as I was in charge of licensing and reg for Viking/FXF W for over 10 years..

Did you ever use the tank of a dolly that goes with it? You can't miss them. They usually have Ontario plates. I think thay have an electric motor to help you put them in place, the battery is usually discharged, dead, or missing. Watch the dolly/pintle eye, they are known to be too low for most pintle hooks. They have a warning posted in most places, I'm sure they are resolving the problem as we speak. If you turn to sharp, you're sure to get a preventable.

None of that matters, as long as FXF Canada gives FXF US permission to pull the pups. I know a little about the subject as I was in charge of licensing and reg for Viking/FXF W for over 10 years..
As a matter of fact, FXFC has never given permission to FXF to use the 289's. Part of the reason I started this thread is because the people at our head office in Toronto are getting pissed off because FXF is using them without permission. At least, that's what the corporate operations manager told me when I asked. It's frustrating for me, because I'm told that I can't use our trailers to keep them out of the US. Then I see them down there being pulled by you guys while I'm pulling P8xxx's and other heaps.

Did you ever use the tank of a dolly that goes with it? You can't miss them. They usually have Ontario plates. I think thay have an electric motor to help you put them in place, the battery is usually discharged, dead, or missing. Watch the dolly/pintle eye, they are known to be too low for most pintle hooks. They have a warning posted in most places, I'm sure they are resolving the problem as we speak. If you turn to sharp, you're sure to get a preventable.

I actually have one of those tanks for my regular dolly. 3900001. Only trailers I've ever had trouble hooking it to are the P25xxx FXF and 21xxx FXN Hyundai trailers. The bar for the hooks is too fat for the hooks on them. But it rides like a dream in any weather and is as reliable as the day is long. I've been hauling it nearly every day for almost a year and I've only had to put it out of service once. It's such a beast that it has a landing gear with a wheel like some of the old Watkins dollies.

The Problem Is... (There are Many)!! Multiple!! Who buys Equipment AROUND HERE.... Multiple designs in Fifth Wheel demesions and designs, Oh in trls to, Oh in Tractors to, Oh in engines to.... = Nightmare for (Shops, vendors and Us as drivers ) .... 376 facilities and a little old company like O.D with 210 is (EATING OUR LUNCH).. What Name recognition?!! And now there gonna start over knighting parts, THAT SHOULD BE INTERESTING........LAUGHIBLE! I enjoy my job... But MAN YOU HAVE TO WONDER!

I once suggested putting different locks on the 289's to keep them from vanishing, and just giving keys to the Canadian drivers. Then a dumbass redshirt that loaded one for the wrong center would have to explain why they had to cut off the lock.

Well then it sounds like those in Toronto need to pick up the phone and figure it out with someone in the US instead of you telling us they're getting pissed off about it. I would say a big majority of our US drivers wouldn't see this thread.

If we aren't allowed to pull them they could put that in our handheld databases with an explanation. Until then I doubt anything will get done about it, I pull them when I get a twin screw and slide that 5th wheel back to tuck under em really nice. :)

I did take one up to Pembina, ND once from Fargo where I met a Winnipeg driver, but that was just a one time deal.

roog

I agree. And I do the same with them. Apparently, they're trying talking to the SCM's at the International hubs to get something done. I'm just posting here in hopes of reaching out and getting feedback.

For some reason this thread really bothers me.....

If, for some reason, I have the opportunity to send one of these pups to a gateway/Canadian center (yes that's "er" not "re") or send it west or south, I probably will send it west or south just because of this thread...

As far as getting with the SCM's about this problem, it's no good. The SCM's can't control what empties he or she gets... Most locations (not all) have equipment shortages and will use whatever equipment at their disposal to get the freight down the road. As long as it's street legal and has some sort of tag, either canadian or American, it can roll.... Central controls the equipment pool.... not a local SCM.

I can tell you that posting on a trucking forum about a problem like this is like going home and talking to your wife about work.... Yeah she'll listen, but she really doesn't care.