FedEx Freight | 289's: Canadian Pups

I can't speak for others, but I don't overcrank landing gear because I hate it as much as the next guy. I leave a little room and drop the bags. Always.

One would think, when you crank them all the way to the ground and then some, when they have to crank the trailer down 6 in so they can hook up, they would learn something???

We have to crank them down almost every night at the hub.

When they hire kids to do a mans job, I guess it's to be expected???:nono_h4h:

(LEAVE THE PADS AN INCH OFF THE GROUND WHEN DROPPING YOUR TRAILER)

That would sure look good on paper in all the drivers rooms.

Oh wait, we cant waste paper on silly things like this???:regretful:

Take the RC approach. Dump your bags before you crank them down. Even slow learner a get the point eventually after having to crank one up 4 inches 9 or 10 times.

In response to rodedawg, I can tell you it ain't me. But with the high turnover we've had ever since management changed, a lot of guys are new to pulling pups. And we're threatened with our job if a trailer nosedives. The newbies tend to fear the pups nosediving when you drop them for that reason, and so they overcrank them.

In response to CT, it's all good buddy. The oldest 289's date to 2007, as old as the P19000's that look almost just like them. As reliable as the day is long if you resist the urge to bend the nose stand. I like them. Got one with 20000lbs of paint tonight. The newest ones don't have nose stands, they're almost identical to P pups now with the exception of regulation lighting and Ontario plates.

I never thought they gave it that much thought. I just thought they didnt know better, didnt care, that their big old conventional sleepers sat a whole lot higher than our little daycabs, or they were intentionally trying to make us jump the pin. They seem like nice enough guys but 90 percent dont seem to understand english very well so communication is limited.FYI the guys who are actually canadian born dont seem to be the ones overcranking the hell out of the trailers.

Do a lot of you Canadian boys roll with sleepers / tandems like fx ground?

For a long time, it was a company policy that linehaul trucks had to have sleepers in case we ran out of hours anywhere. It's still common though. And twin screws in general are more common here. A lot of people assume we're FXG because we look so similar. Our local trucks are usually twin screw daycabs or straight trucks.

I never thought they gave it that much thought. I just thought they didnt know better, didnt care, that their big old conventional sleepers sat a whole lot higher than our little daycabs, or they were intentionally trying to make us jump the pin. They seem like nice enough guys but 90 percent dont seem to understand english very well so communication is limited.FYI the guys who are actually canadian born dont seem to be the ones overcranking the hell out of the trailers.

Those of us who've survived the corporate restructuring have been around long enough to know how to handle pups. A lot of the guys who've been drivers for a while are starting to buy their own rigs, and then they're hiring inexperienced drivers to drive them. Fresh out of the local cheap driving school with their little experience being on a 53 footer. Hand em the keys and wish em good luck.

I get ya. I see it alot where Im from. I run into alot of poor guys sent from the north [deffinatlely not just fedex] with a gps device, limited english and nothing else into a downtown environment with very little if any experience and no idea that they are actually gonna have to blindside into a dock thats not outlined with flourescent safety cones and sometimes ridiculous obstructions .I try to help when I can but when they cant even back up in a straight line theres little I can do other than take a nap or do it myself and I have been tempted. Is there that much of a Driver shortage in Canada or does it just pay crap? I thought I remembered decent jobs were hard to find up there and where Im from for that matter

It's a bit of both, really. The driver shortage is brutal up here because the guys with the experience are so fed up with the high expectations and low pay that they're hanging up the steering wheel. Running the Triangle (Ontario-BC-California-Ontario) is expected of anyone just getting into the cab as a newbie. That's why when opportunities with FedEx come up, a lot of guys jump at it. The pay is decent enough to justify putting up with the bs and it's hard to argue with being home daily when being gone for 2 weeks is the rule in the industry.

Here's what I know . I used to work for viking freight system. We had canadian pups. The reason why they were careful about where we pulled them is because s canadian pup is slightly longer than 28 feet long and slightly wider than 102 inches. Thats illegal in most of the united states. In most states regulations state that no trailer in a doubles combination can exceed 28 feet in length.

Lol. Ok. Thought maybe they still had a few pups that used to be owned by viking. They probably phased them out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

The 289's were bought new when FXFC formed. The only Viking pups I still see wandering around are 287's and 211's. And there aren't many of them left as far as I know.

Yeah. I imagine those old viking units are pieces of junk by now huh. They were pretty much junk when I worked there. Lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk