Holland | 3 years to find our solidarity

the5tolls

Wait till 2024....we'll show em!
Credits
BpnAk40.jpg

You know three years will be here in a heartbeat and if nothing changes we will get another "yes" vote. It might take two votes again, but they will threaten to close the doors and everyone will get scared and vote yes figuring a job with concessions and almost no pension is better than no job at all. Sound familiar, I don't have any answers, but someone better start coming up with some ideas or at least some sort of constructive discussion on the topic fairly soon, because nothing is going to change overnight. I hope I am not the only one is looking forward to putting up a fight for a real contract in 2019, and if they try and extend the MOU before that I would be more than happy to be the one to lead the men at my barn out to the picket line. Maybe I am overestimating the amount of balls that my brothers have...I sure hope not. Happy New Year!

Hopefully some of your brothers will be there to pour warm water on that pole for you.
:1036316054:

But if they think that management might be watching, they won't use the water, especially if they know that you aren't one of management's favorites.

Been there.....saw that.

Sorry , but if all the prior givebacks didn't do it....nothing will. Better off to just leave and work for a real company. You will be alot happier you did....
which company would you suggest? I am not a young man and I have been a teamster on and off for thirty years. Last time I was out of work I talked to many companies union and mostly non union and no one called me back. I have a spotless driving record, I don't think these companies are that excited to hire older Teamsters, maybe it was my intimidating good looks or cheerful disposition?

I went through the same thing during the last layoff. Hit all the LTL outfits. No callbacks, talked to a few terminal mgr's, OD said he could sure use me but HQ wouldn't approve anyone from a union company. I know a lot of guys hooked on at non union companies, just didn't work out for me. After 37 years of trucking, I'm not sure I could handle downtown peddles on a liftgate and a 2 wheeler. Having said that, I simply won't agree to more givebacks. I didn't last time, I won't next time. This place will be around as long as there are guys willing to work for less. I'm amazed at the new hires who tell me "I sure wish this place wasn't union but I needed a job" Now we're getting the guys that can't get hired at a non union place. Didn't it used to be the other way around?.
Since we (IBT) have no leadership, and YRC can only make real progress through employee sacrifice, it doesn't bode well for the future does it?
I stick around cause it's a democracy, and there is a very small chance that the very real driver shortage will catch up with yrc. But they may get to the point where they (welch, pierson, BOD) realize that they've squeezed all they can. Demand another 15%, 200 a week for insurance. 0 pay in to the pension, When we turn it down, "Sniff we tried to get these people to face facts, but we can't get the union to help us" they ride off with their guaranteed payouts, we're left holding the bag.
With real leadership we could come back, but as long as our magazine has cover stories like " IBT organizes 20 school bus drivers in west bumfuque PA !!!! I don't see it happening

I went through the same thing during the last layoff. Hit all the LTL outfits. No callbacks, talked to a few terminal mgr's, OD said he could sure use me but HQ wouldn't approve anyone from a union company. I know a lot of guys hooked on at non union companies, just didn't work out for me. After 37 years of trucking, I'm not sure I could handle downtown peddles on a liftgate and a 2 wheeler. Having said that, I simply won't agree to more givebacks. I didn't last time, I won't next time. This place will be around as long as there are guys willing to work for less. I'm amazed at the new hires who tell me "I sure wish this place wasn't union but I needed a job" Now we're getting the guys that can't get hired at a non union place. Didn't it used to be the other way around?.
Since we (IBT) have no leadership, and YRC can only make real progress through employee sacrifice, it doesn't bode well for the future does it?
I stick around cause it's a democracy, and there is a very small chance that the very real driver shortage will catch up with yrc. But they may get to the point where they (welch, pierson, BOD) realize that they've squeezed all they can. Demand another 15%, 200 a week for insurance. 0 pay in to the pension, When we turn it down, "Sniff we tried to get these people to face facts, but we can't get the union to help us" they ride off with their guaranteed payouts, we're left holding the bag.
With real leadership we could come back, but as long as our magazine has cover stories like " IBT organizes 20 school bus drivers in west bumfuque PA !!!! I don't see it happening

You can say what you want about the new hires vs the old school guys. Just remember the REAL old school Teamsters from the 40's, 50's and 60's, we're just like the new Teamster Freight guys now....guys who needed jobs.

They are not now, and were never Ivy league.

The difference is the Teamsters back in the day fought for and eventually won representation, benefits and pay that provided for a living wage and benefits that fed families and sent kids to college. This has not carried over so much in modern day.

What was created from all the hard work were drivers who hired on in the 80's, and 90's, who benefited from the fighting done in the 40's, 50's, and 60's, that somehow did not feel so fortunate, but more like special.

The true entitlement generation, that when the going gets tough they blame the new hires and quit, with many going to graze like sheep, and bragging about it, over at the non Union shops whose drivers have always benefited from the Teamsters, but were always just to dumb to realize it.

Fighting is not voting NO, and then when it doesn't go your way quiting and running to the next grassy field.

I haven't quit, nor do I intend to. That's what i meant about democracy. And I'm sure the old school guys may have thought the same of me, except I was happy to hire into a union shop, the new guys I'm talking about came here as a last resort. In my opinion, they would wholeheartedly support desertification. they want a popularity contest not a seniority based system. Maybe after they've been here a while they'll think differently. and you'll have to agree things were different back in the day. While no one can question the old school guys courage and REAL brotherhood, they didn't have to contend with today's world with talk radio, how much society in general, hates labor unions, the fact that very few people respect picket lines, and that many today think paid holidays and time and a half are gifts from our employers. And yes it is funny how many at the non union shops think it's because they're "good guys" that's the reason they make what they make.
Speaking of the old school guys' courage, maybe that's what we need more of. I'm not sure if it can come from the bottom up. It's more of a top down thing that we don't have today.

I'm amazed at the new hires who tell me "I sure wish this place wasn't union but I needed a job" ......
Wow. That's not good for the future of the Union.
I firmly believe that somehow, someway, they need to at least begin to give the wages back. Even if it's only 3% at a time. At least that would be a start.
And if they start making you guys pay anything for your insurance, there would be absolutely no reason to stay any longer, since that's really the only advantage that you have over the nons. (100% insurance being paid is huge though)

I don't see it as "courage" nowadays, it seems more like selfishness. I can't speak for all barns, but that's the way it was at mine. It had become more of a popularity contest with the bootlicking of management and seemed like it was "every man for himself".
I think that if the older guys take some of the newer guys under their wing and teach them how it is supposed to be, that could be a start to resetting the "brotherhood" issue. Someone needs to lead the way at each terminal.

I think that if the older guys take some of the newer guys under their wing and teach them how it is supposed to be, that could be a start to resetting the "brotherhood" issue. Someone needs to lead the way at each terminal.

Absolutely

OK, here is the deal. In 2 years this lying cheating company will be crying the blues again, wanting to extend the mou. I have already been making plans for having all my debts paid before then. I suggest everyone else does the same. With all the money they are throwing out the window, on the mobile eyes, the TVs in the break rooms, millions in bonuses to upper management, ANY YES VOTER THE NEXT TIME WOULD HAVE TO BE THE BIGGEST IDIOT AND SUCKER ON THE PLANET!!!!!! They are wasting millions!! So there is no way possible that they are struggling anymore. So everyone needs to have their ducks in a row, AND GROW A PAIR!!!! AND BE READY TO CALL THEIR BLUFF WITH NONSTOP "NO VOTES" !!!!

That's a good suggestion Renegade, unfortunately there are too many people that would rather keep buying all of that shiny stuff that's sitting in the driveway, versus growing a pair. That's good advice though.
:1036316054: