ABF | 30 foot pups!

something like that would actually be useful, instead of trying to get around with a 53.

Don't worry; the 53's will still be for the city. The new 'city' trailers will hit the road..... They'll pick up a non-transferable load, for sure....

"Getting around" with a 53' trailer is a violation of the Surface Transportation Act of 1986. 53' trailers, 102" wide are for designated highway use only. Here in Pennsylvania, you can get a list of "designated highways" and where it's legal to take both 53's and doubles by requesting a copy of Publication 411 from the PA DMV. It's free,...a very nice binder complete with maps and street lisings. Our copy hangs right outside the dispatch window......we have no arguments on trailer legality.

yep, I got quite a list of designated roads that accept 53s and sets, and a list of roads that do not in our area. my comment of"getting around" with a 53 didnt include doing anything illegal. I refer to them being a pain to manuever. I dont violate the law and dispatch knows it.

Actually they could use that 2' extra feet to put those 4 Drums of 'flammable liquid' that the dock supervisor said the customer is waiting for.
Dont worry about blocking them, your not going far to get to customer

Actually they could use that 2' extra feet to put those 4 Drums of 'flammable liquid' that the dock supervisor said the customer is waiting for.
Dont worry about blocking them, your not going far to get to customer
Couldn't you get the same by pulling that bulkhead out of the nose?

yep, I got quite a list of designated roads that accept 53s and sets, and a list of roads that do not in our area. my comment of"getting around" with a 53 didnt include doing anything illegal. I refer to them being a pain to manuever. I dont violate the law and dispatch knows it.

I knew that, Brother Foxman42. I was elaborating about the law because we have a lot of young drivers, and recent "converts" from non-Union carriers looking at the postings here. I was trying to make a "teachable moment" for those who would want to impress dispatch by doing something illegal.

I knew that, Brother Foxman42. I was elaborating about the law because we have a lot of young drivers, and recent "converts" from non-Union carriers looking at the postings here. I was trying to make a "teachable moment" for those who would want to impress dispatch by doing something illegal.

I tell the new guys all the time that the company guys are your best buddies UNTIL you screw up. then its discharge time! this place wont hand you a gold watch on your last day that's for sure. I also tell the new guys sometimes you have to know when to quit when youre out making deliveries cuz some roads aren't meant to be traveled. no worries brother

Couldn't you get the same by pulling that bulkhead out of the nose?

Lol. Yup sometimes I think these damn supervisors are thinking there is a front and back door on these trailers. But for the younger guys. Do not move the trailer unless it is legal and safe to do so. Once you get in trouble on the street. It's all on you.

T.M. Told us that they purchased new power equipment but put the new trailers on hold because their waiting for a new law to pass that would allow 30' pups! Has anybody else heard this? He said Fedex got the ball rolling on this change. Time will tell.

Fed ex already uses 30' pups in North Dakota,only!!!

I would only be okay with triples if they ran at night only when traffic is light. During rush hour I couldn't even begin to imagine the headache trying to get through a city.
Triples are a BITCH, trust me. I have to pull them to a 'drop point', break them up and deliver one trailer at a time. Then, shag three empties at a large distribution warehouse, and drive that miserable combo back home. If you're in a 'non-triples' state, fall to your knees and rejoice!!

It's my understanding that some states in the far west allow 33' doubles,......just the same as some states allow Rocky Mountain doubles,......a 48' with a pup,....presumably a 28'er. FedEx was lobbying heavily for a Federal allowance for access of double 33's wherever current doubles run,......regardless of whether the state D.O.T. in question feels they're safe or not, for that state's roads.

That provision of the new Surface Transportation bill was shot down,.....along with the proposal that the Federal maximum allowable weight be raised from 80,000 to 96,000.......

There you go, gentlemen. That's our employer's answer to the drastic driver shortage........Make 'em haul longer trailers with more weight. A win-win for the companies........More revenue with less Labor costs,........No need to hire more of those stinky, whiny drivers with their piddling concerns about family, or pensions, or safety.......

Of course, we all remember the 15% pay increase we got when the companies got their wish to allow 53'ers on designated highways,........because the companies could load 15% more revenue in the longer trailers........Think hard, now........

It's my understanding that some states in the far west allow 33' doubles,......just the same as some states allow Rocky Mountain doubles,......a 48' with a pup,....presumably a 28'er. FedEx was lobbying heavily for a Federal allowance for access of double 33's wherever current doubles run,......regardless of whether the state D.O.T. in question feels they're safe or not, for that state's roads.

That provision of the new Surface Transportation bill was shot down,.....along with the proposal that the Federal maximum allowable weight be raised from 80,000 to 96,000.......

There you go, gentlemen. That's our employer's answer to the drastic driver shortage........Make 'em haul longer trailers with more weight. A win-win for the companies........More revenue with less Labor costs,........No need to hire more of those stinky, whiny drivers with their piddling concerns about family, or pensions, or safety.......

Of course, we all remember the 15% pay increase we got when the companies got their wish to allow 53'ers on designated highways,........because the companies could load 15% more revenue in the longer trailers........Think hard, now........
Bonus for everyone, except the driver of course....