TForce | 30 min/60min lunch?

Yes but, 1/2 is usually enough. Can they sugest that you take 1 hour or can a driver take 1 hour if he pleases or a 1/2 if he pleases?

2375912717_945cd52f87_o.jpg

Don't lump breaks and lunch together.

There is a very simple solution to having the company force you into a long lunch or lumping breaks and lunch together.

The solution is take your breaks when you are suppose to...........after two hours on duty take a break PERIOD!!!!

Then take your lunch after 4 hours for 30 minutes and go back to work, take your (PM) break after 7 hrs and let the rest of your hours fall were they may.

IF YOU LET THE COMPANY manipulate your lunch and breaks you will lose. Use the on-duty hours as a tool. Let service suffer just once and the company will leave you alone to take your breaks and lunch at will.

Remember there is more than one way to skin cat, don't be the super hero and run like the wind, take your breaks and lunch and the rest will follow in suit.

Don't sweat the small stuff, most of this langauge is put into protect you but you guys twist it around and allow the company to hurt you.

T251,
Great points. What these guys might not realize is that UPS can use the fact that they didn't take lunch and breaks against them if it suits UPS to do so. They'll think that they're doing UPS a favor and UPS will say they broke rules. I've seen it happen before to feeders out of Springfield, Mo. All 3 got their jobs back but it taught them a good lesson about trying to do favors for UPS.

T251,
Great points. What these guys might not realize is that UPS can use the fact that they didn't take lunch and breaks against them if it suits UPS to do so.

I have never worked for a union before, So to cover my a$$ I will follow the rules to a T
Although im sure I will break some rules and not even realize it. Its all new to me.

If you don't take your lunch/breaks and work through them it looks like you worked faster and the only way to repeat that performance is to constantly work through your breaks.

I have never worked for a union before, So to cover my a$$ I will follow the rules to a T
Although im sure I will break some rules and not even realize it. Its all new to me.
BN,
It's not the fact that the job is Union....it's the fact that the employer is UPS. I can't stress enough that they want things done their way and that might means within a minute or 2 of what they expect. It's not that way at Yellow but I know one of the drivers who was fired for being about 15 minutes early.....like I said, all 3 got their jobs back. UPS is a different animal than any of you guys are used to.....a much different animal.

thats the problem, they want to figure out the animal like we did at overnite, but this animal cannot be figured out, in time they will get it, or they will fight until they are walked out the door

BN,
It's not the fact that the job is Union....it's the fact that the employer is UPS. I can't stress enough that they want things done their way and that might means within a minute or 2 of what they expect. It's not that way at Yellow but I know one of the drivers who was fired for being about 15 minutes early.....like I said, all 3 got their jobs back. UPS is a different animal than any of you guys are used to.....a much different animal.

I was more concerned with all my years of service. Its much cheaper to replace me with a new employee.

Here is a thought, Most mini hub jobs have from 2 to 5 driving hours not counting fueling,pretrip and any shop time. so most of the guys will arrive 3 to 5.5 hours after they start work. now we have to take a meal period. Who is going to be working the mini hub trailers when all of the hub drivers are on lunch break for an hour ? Just a interesting thought

Here is a thought, Most mini hub jobs have from 2 to 5 driving hours not counting fueling,pretrip and any shop time. so most of the guys will arrive 3 to 5.5 hours after they start work. now we have to take a meal period. Who is going to be working the mini hub trailers when all of the hub drivers are on lunch break for an hour ? Just a interesting thought

That's what they do in SOH to the Indy drivers. They take their break upon arrival, then punch in.

If you take your break on the road, they cannot force you to take another one upon arrival. For the Indy drivers, it's a three hour ride to SOH, so they really have no choice.

Forcing lunch is just a means to prevent paying waiting time. If they're hot for the freight, they won't "force" you into it, I'm sure.

That's what they do in SOH to the Indy drivers. They take their break upon arrival, then punch in.

If you take your break on the road, they cannot force you to take another one upon arrival. For the Indy drivers, it's a three hour ride to SOH, so they really have no choice.

Forcing lunch is just a means to prevent paying waiting time. If they're hot for the freight, they won't "force" you into it, I'm sure.

My main idea was who is unloading the trailers when all of the drivers are taking 1 hour meal breaks ?

I was more concerned with all my years of service. Its much cheaper to replace me with a new employee.
That's always been the fear of some in the NMFA too....ever since 1982 when Central Pa. allowed the 70% new hire rate and 3 years to full scale....the NMFA adopted this in 1985. Some guys bought into the fear that the Companies would nit pick and terminate a lot of full scale guys to hire newer, cheaper workers.....it never happened. And that was when there was a much better, freight experienced pool of available workers. I wouldn't lose any sleep over this.