FedEx Freight | 30 minute AM yard time?

fasterthancrap

TB Lurker
Credits
Our facility has imposed a strict 30 minute AM yard time... to pretrip, hook our sets, and clear the yard. Are you local guys all dealing with these same constraints?

Everyday....I can hook,do paperwork and put on placards all under 30 min. Welcome to FedEx Freight...

They can set a GOAL for 30 min off the yard but the CAN'T require it. A pre-trip inspection takes "as long as it takes" per DOT rules.

Ask to see this rule in writing. They can't do it. They'd be in violation of DOT rules.

Just like telling you you have to log a certain amount of time for a drop/hook etc. they can't put it in writing because they'd be telling yo to falsify your log.

We were told in the past that the 30 minute AM yard time also included preshifts. So if you had a 15 minute preshift you only had 15 minutes to get out of the gate

We were told in the past that the 30 minute AM yard time also included preshifts. So if you had a 15 minute preshift you only had 15 minutes to get out of the gate

Now that's some funny Sheet there :roll1:

I do believe they told yall that but they are full of :BS: on that one. Just ask your safety guy.

:rofl2:

I take as long as it takes. Sometimes you have to strap drums that the dock goons did not strap in...you have to get your bills, look them over, walk out to the dock, secure the load, close the trailer door, close the overhead door, walk out to your tractor, pretrip the tractor (not just fire it up and go like others), hook up to your trailer, pull it out, pre trip the trailer, and pull out of the gate. It is nearly impossible to do it in 30 minutes. I have watched the guys in our yard, not one city guy even opens the hood. Some may not be able to tell you what side of the engine the dipstick is on without looking under the hood.

All I know is, I do it right, and it takes longer than 30 minutes. The guys that make it out of the gate in 30 minutes do not do a proper pre-trip.

Out East on linehaul you can take as long as you need, but you will only get paid 30 min for it. If you repeatedly miss your gate then you can expect a sour dispatcher and a coaching session. If you have a defect and need the shop to fix it, then you need to call central to notify them of the delay and reason. Only after giving up your first half hour of delay will you then be eligible to get delay pay, and you'll usually have to persue it through GO. I don't necessarily think it always leads to the most complete P/T's, or agree with the policy, but them's the rules.
You will just start to see more FXF rear boxes with no working lights, and hear alot more air leaks on the road out West now.
I just try to show up a half hour early and P/T the tractor/converter, fill fluids, and start what I can of my paperwork. I don't get paid for it, but I'm not rushing around, dropping trailers, pissing off dispatch, or leaving with uncompliant equipment and my landing gear dragging, trying to make my gate, unlike some. Again I don't like having to perform uncompensated work, but I dont like having to worry about a sketchy hook down the road more.

In MPLS, our yard time starts WHEN WE PUNCH IN!!!! So if we punch in at 3 minutes till, we've shorted ourselves 3 minutes of yard time! :hyper:

They want us to fill out our delivery receipts AFTER we leave the yard! (It takes the same amount of time to fill them out whether you're in the yard or on the street) :duh:

If we have a problem with an appointment or collection, instead of talking in person with the appropriate office worker we are supposed to leave the yard and THEN CALL BACK. So now we have to park on the street and either use our cell phone minutes, look for a pay phone and pay 50-75 cents, or call using the customer's phone.

They're even having the dock supervisors get the pallet jacks and two wheelers and load them on the trailers before they're closed - so the drivers don't have to take the time. (that makes no sense because we still have to go down to the trailers and check on how they're loaded anyway.)

This has been going on for quite some time. Now, they're clamping down on PM yard time!! Yet they still want us to do a complete post trip on our equipment, wait in line to fuel EVERY DAY, stand in line at the driver check-in window, and go down the dock to retrieve our pallet jacks and two wheelers - ALL in 30 minutes!

We thought it was just a local thing but in reading these other posts, it's obvious that somebody in Harrison is absolutely paranoid about yard time.

It seems like every time we turn around there's some new rule being implemented that's supposed to save HUGE amounts of money. But all it seems to do is WASTE money and irritate people.

Harrison needs to mellow out, act like - and treat us like - the mature adults we're all supposed to be, and GET OUT OF PANIC MODE!

Yard time is an obsolete term used by Viking and then FedEx West for city drivers. It was time spent from the time you clock in until the time you left the yard. It was also the time you arrived at the yard and clocked out. But like I said it is obsolete and not even recorded that I know of. It had nothing to do with road drivers. Yard time is a term not used at our service center.

Yard time is an obsolete term used by Viking and then FedEx West for city drivers. It was time spent from the time you clock in until the time you left the yard. It was also the time you arrived at the yard and clocked out. But like I said it is obsolete and not even recorded that I know of. It had nothing to do with road drivers. Yard time is a term not used at our service center.

Oh, Sorry I thought that was a West "term/reference" for our "East" Road Driver "show up and gate time" :duh:

At our term sbc(fxn) we get 24 min average per day. that includes pretrip, hook and drop, returning pallet jack/dolly to dock and get our paperwork reveiwed for errors.
Some drivers are able to do this but i haven't figured out how unless some are punching the manifest in dispatch instead of at the gate.
Our manager posts the efficiency reports every few weeks, and the only drivers in the green (efficient) are the ones who have regular routes. yes I know, no one is supposed to have a regular route but dispatchers have their favorites.
Noones been fired yet, but when they started this the accidents went up because were worried about being fired for inefficiency.

Whenever the FedEx God's hand down an order of how, or how quickly something should be done 1. I consider it and remember that I work for them, they don't work for me 2. I ask myself what would a reasonable person do? Because that is what a court would look at. And 3. I don't worry about meeting unreasonable expectations, because they are just that...unreasonable.

Do your job, hustle safely, and don't worry about the rest. Fair enough, right?

Just remember this guys. The bigger profit your bosses make, the better they look to their bosses. The safer you ARE the better you look to whom it matters to the most.

It's always been 30 minutes (at our barn) as a goal, just like a SPH goal. I think it's mostly to get the slow pokes going.

I like the idea of pallet jacks already on the trailer. Save time looking for one.

Whenever the FedEx God's hand down an order of how, or how quickly something should be done 1. I consider it and remember that I work for them, they don't work for me 2. I ask myself what would a reasonable person do? Because that is what a court would look at. And 3. I don't worry about meeting unreasonable expectations, because they are just that...unreasonable.

Do your job, hustle safely, and don't worry about the rest. Fair enough, right?

""Just remember this guys. The bigger profit your bosses make, the better they look to their bosses. The safer you ARE the better you look to whom it matters to the most. ""

WELL PUT both of you