ODFL | 30 minute off-duty overturn'd by court's Friday.

Grumpy O' Man

TB Veteran
Credits
Well,the 30 minute's was overturn'd.So now Local/short-haul .100 mile radius do not have to take break.What I have heard so far from safety is we are not changing anything.So City driver's still have to take 30 min break before 8.I'm glad OD is not changing anything.Love getting my lunch within 8 hour's.

But the 30 minute required break still applies to the road drivers though right? I'm taking it as we speak. I'd feel foolish stopping on my way home if its not required anymore.

Well,the 30 minute's was overturn'd.So now Local/short-haul .100 mile radius do not have to take break.What I have heard so far from safety is we are not changing anything.So City driver's still have to take 30 min break before 8.I'm glad OD is not changing anything.Love getting my lunch within 8 hour's.

I'm confused..please clarify..(I won't hear if from conway, for atleast a month)..Thanks, in advance.

Court's ruled Friday that the 30 min break will only affect one's who run log's.Local driver's&under 100 mile radius will not have to take 30 min break.But,doesnot apply to OD local.Everyone will have to take 30 min. off-duty
I'm confused..please clarify..(I won't hear if from conway, for atleast a month)..Thanks, in advance.

Court's ruled Friday that the 30 min break will only affect one's who run log's.Local driver's&under 100 mile radius will not have to take 30 min break.But,doesnot apply to OD local.Everyone will have to take 30 min. off-duty

ok, got ya. thanks.

Makes sense that the company would'nt just change this quick,changing the software for the blu unit to allow for the HOS changes must of cost a small fortune.

FMCSA had already approved an exemption from 30 min break to livestock haulers(who are well-known for their adherance to HOS rules)for the summer months.

Local&shorthaul 100 mile radius.I have the court ruling's that were email'd to me.Can't figure out how to get them on here.If someone know's how.Private message me your email&I wil send them to you.
From what I read the courts only said "short haul". It has yet to specify the length yet but will do so in the near future

Looks like linehaul guys still have to take the new 30-min break

Court upholds all of hours rule for long-haul drivers | Overdrive - Owner Operators Trucking Magazine
[QUOTE the court’s ruling to strike down the break requirement for short haulers “is an important victory.” Short haulers are defined as those who drive within a 150-mile radius of the base from which they are dispatched.][/QUOTE]

In other words, sounds like nothing changed, since most LTL's already require their hourly (P&D) guys, to take a lunch anyway

I do find that the 30 minute break keeps me awake when I have to run overnight, which is most every night. The hardest part is finding a place to park to take the break. The other night I hit 8 hours right as I pulled off the interstate. It popped up that I had 0 hours left to drive and I went to off duty just as soon as I stopped at the light at the bottom of the ramp. I hope I don't be my nuts busted for it, I don't want to have to do paper logs again this week. I had to do them a second week because I accidentally did a couple of pretrips on blu off duty. Tired of doing paper logs.

Feels good to work for a company that actually cares about its employees.

I really wish I could tell if you're joking. If you're not then you must be mental. Do you not understand that you don't get paid for your 30 minute break? You're being required to remain at work WITHOUT pay! If you guys are happy with slave labor then you're part of the problem. We haven't even had our yard pay raised in over 8 years!

As a city driver they have always taken 30 min a day from our pay whether we took a break or not. You work 10 hrs straight and get paid 9.5. A lot of drivers used to do this, or took their half hour on there way in at night(7pm or so). 1 guy used to stop right outside the gate and sit for 30min. For some reason TM didn't want it taken in the terminal. As Kenneth said its nice to stop in the middle of the day. That's the PD side of it.

I really wish I could tell if you're joking. If you're not then you must be mental. Do you not understand that you don't get paid for your 30 minute break? You're being required to remain at work WITHOUT pay! If you guys are happy with slave labor then you're part of the problem. We haven't even had our yard pay raised in over 8 years!

I don't know what you're talking about. I have never in my life held a job in which I was paid for my lunch break. That is essentially what the 30-minute off duty rest break is. I'm a line haul driver and so when I take this break I am on line 1 of my log book. Should the company be responsible for paying me for time when I am off duty? Or would I rather them be allowed to force me to drive 11 hours straight with no break and not be allowed to even stop and take a leak?

Some people ALWAYS have a negative attitude. Slave wages, Really?? Never got close to this pay running my own trucks. Or being part owner of construction outfit. Break is off duty. Required now by law. Vacation/Holiday rate pay is based on your average on duty/driver time. Mine is $38.75 per hour. Do 518 miles 90%, 540 miles 5%, 564 miles 5%. 85+% 2 lane roads with many towns, 5 terminals sometimes 6, Minimum 32, up to 48, drop and hooks nightly. Plus, truck shop swaps. So, if yours pay is lower than that, maybe you are not efficient or ambitious. With current raise, will easily be over $40 per hour compensation for my time. Yes, raise in hook and drop pay been nice, rather look at big picture. 1st raise in insurance in 7+ years I have been here, while OD ate the 300% plus increase in costs.

Last edited by a moderator: