Yellow | 4 hour casuals???

drag racer

TB Lurker
Credits
I thought 4 hour casuals were for the dock only. they have been training them for the street for the last 3 weeks and worked some on friday and sat by themselves last week????????681

I thought 4 hour casuals were for the dock only. they have been training them for the street for the last 3 weeks and worked some on Friday and sat by themselves last week????????681

Yeah, thats going to come along with this best contract ever, .... :nutkick:
contract_logistics.jpg

I thought 4 hour casuals were for the dock only. they have been training them for the street for the last 3 weeks and worked some on friday and sat by themselves last week????????681
Hey drag racer.......the Carolina Supplement has had 4 hour casual language since the 80's. It doesn't specify that they work dock, switch or P+D. It does say that the work must be offered to any unassigned or laid off men that are qualified to do that work first. If they weren't offered the work, contact your shop steward or BA!! DS.

I did read in a IBT posting that spoke about $14 dock casuals only working the dock..........I would suggest to file, file, file!! DS.

Hey DS isn't it a violation of seniority when casuals are offered work say to go on the street b/4 offering it to full time guys on the dock

Hey DS isn't it a violation of seniority when casuals are offered work say to go on the street b/4 offering it to full time guys on the dock
Hey SL........ at a classified terminal the dock guys do dock work and so on. The way I understand it, if RDWY wants to use casuals all they have to do is offer the work to the laid off men in that classification. At your place and your supplement it may be different.

I always suggest to check with your shop steward or BA about these things, then.........file, file, file!! DS.

what about 4-hour casuals ($14 hr) -- working 8-12 hours a day ?

Does the contract specify $14 casuals being able to go on the street? - i thought it was dock only.

Here's what the NMFA reads..........

(10) Unless otherwise agreed to in any Supplemental Agreement, the following will apply:
Supplemental casuals may be used to supplement the regular work force (dock only) and shall be subject to a four (4) hour guarantee when called to work. Four (4) hour casuals shall be started on an established starting time; or when called to work at a time other than an established starting time, must end his/her shift at the conclusion of that established starting time shift. Four (4) hour casuals shall be eligible for pension and/or health welfare contributions in accordance with the applicable supplemental agreement.

File, file, file......DS.

4hr casuals working 10 12 hrs a day on the street

something has to be done isnt it a violation of the contract

if kept track of those days could amount to him being put on full-time. Let him work cause if he is working that way 10-12 hr days constantly a grievance can be filed towards putting a man on. you could see the way the company will abuse this if not controlled time for us to step up an enforce the language that we mutually agreed upon.

do these 4 hour guys have to meet the same standards clean cdl and background with haz mat?.my local said it would be collage kids helping in the summer.

these 4 hr casuals could come from anywhere and are supposed to be for dock only. If there is a case where there is a CDL qual casual he still stays on the dock unless all regular guys are already dispatched to the street. Had a iisue with a supe sending a casual on the street b/4 the bottom man. talk about a kick to the boys but we put a stop to it.

Heck if you're a casual you start on the dock and learn how to move frt b/4 going to the street

do these 4 hour guys have to meet the same standards clean cdl and background with haz mat?.my local said it would be collage kids helping in the summer.

They have to meet the same standards everybody else has to meet that is full-time in the hiring process. Also, there will be all kinds of people doing it. I have spoken to some of our casuals at LCP - Yellow and they come from all over. There is school teachers that like the money for their summers off, people working a 2nd job, and etc. Anyhow, thats just what I've seen at LCP-Yellow and Local 771.

There is school teachers that like the money for their summers off, people working a 2nd job, and etc. Anyhow, thats just what I've seen at LCP-Yellow and Local 771.

Sign them up and donate to DRIVE as they are working in a union environment. Apply the laws of the land and maybe these casuals will see the fruits of labor being union into their industry.:1036316054:

$14- per hr. CASUALS are dock only,
read the "casual workers" clause in you contracts, it supersedes anything else in previous agreements, if someone is having a problem, see your BA for clarification.

Don't let the Co. feed you BS.