ABF | 4th Qtr O.R. ?

The rank and file will never see a profit sharing check, If it is close they will just **** enough money away to guarantee they don't have to pay profit sharing to anyone that isn't management,or a stockholder!!! They are not going to share... It isn't that hard to do all they have to do is buy another forklift, or what about this, maybe fix one of the many older trucks with 800,000 miles on it... People wake up, They are not going to share in any of the profits... Profits will go to people they feel deserve it...AND THE RANK AND FILE IS NOT ON THAT LIST!!!
Your are right John. They will never show a profit. Like you said put it in buildings or equipment & screw the little guy that got them there.

Maybe,....just possibly,.....just the same way we were granted a COLA just once in the last contract, so the IBT could brag we have a COLA clause ,.........Just possibly maybe they'll fudge the numbers once so we get one,....and one only, mind you,...just one ..."bonus" check,.....just to say the language in the contract regarding "bonuses" is,.....valid. Then both sides could crow about how magnanimous the company is,.....and how wise the IBT "leadership" was to include "bonus" language in the contract. All I see was that 7% of my wages got stolen from me,....and that's not including wage increases I should've gotten throughout the life of the contract,......There isn't any "bonus" that's going to make that up to me and my family. How could you negotiate a 5 year agreement that cuts wages,....in a time when a CDL-A HAZ-MAT, Doubles-Triples, Tanker qualified driver is a scarce commodity in the employment market? All I can think of is that ABF management is going to choke on this contract as far as hiring qualified people,.......They are going to have to ask to re-open this steaming heap of a contract,... and "adjust",...some of the more controversial provisions, such as "8 years to get two weeks vacation",....and possibly a reduction in casual/preferred casual language,....just to attract the bare minimum to cover the attrition rate when we start to retire en masse,.....which should reach a peak in about a year and a half, at most. Notice how you don't hear about how "ABF employees are the best paid drivers, and have the best compensation package in the industry." anymore,.....especially after UPSF has finalized their contract, standardized their health care, stabilized their defined benefit single employer pension,...and negotiated a wage package that'll put them about $4.00 an hour ahead of us at the end of our contract? How about it Mr. Slagle? Apples to Apples,.....which contract is better, now? And,...........Lord knows why any young person would want to do this,.........but if I was a young person looking for a "career" in LTL,....that would benefit me and my family in the long run the best,......well,...I don't think I would choose ABF over UPSF,.....looking at it long-termwise. Good Luck trying to attract new-hires Mr. Slagle! Your short-sightedness, .....and the IBT's lackadaisical negotiating skills have killed off the last fragile remaining chance to attract experienced non-Union LTL drivers to this company,.........and a large influx of inexperienced young drivers will ,.....finally,....point out to you and your management crew exactly just what an "experienced" LTL guy does,....and what he's truly worth........Oh,..that's right,.....you won't be here long enough to see the collapse of this company due to inexperience, rising damage claims, rising accident claims, dropping fitness rating, low CSA2010 scores,...dropping morale because management's only answer to these problems will be more discipline,....and more surveillance (of course,...with no "corroboration.....),.....and ABF will just sink under the waves, and no longer be a special place to work,....just another rat-ball freight carrier with a high turnover rate of employees,......nope,....you'll be in some sunny clime fumbling with the golf clubs.......well I won't be there, either. I can't afford those sunny climes,.....don't golf,....may have to work a part-time job to pay the bills,......four children through college, you know,......and that 7% cut certainly didn't help..........but I won't be out there breaking my back, and risking my life,....and health,....sliding a set through a snowstorm,......and I hope you've earmarked a good replacement for me,.......CDL-A, HAZ-MAT, Doubles-Triples, Tanker qualified,......and willing to work for less than a UPSF employee,....or an electrician,....or a welder,.....or a pipeliner,.....in other words,....maybe a little brain-dead. After all, you didn't hire me for my looks..........

Manpower

Maybe,....just possibly,.....just the same way we were granted a COLA just once in the last contract, so the IBT could brag we have a COLA clause ,.........Just possibly maybe they'll fudge the numbers once so we get one,....and one only, mind you,...just one ..."bonus" check,.....just to say the language in the contract regarding "bonuses" is,.....valid. Then both sides could crow about how magnanimous the company is,.....and how wise the IBT "leadership" was to include "bonus" language in the contract. All I see was that 7% of my wages got stolen from me,....and that's not including wage increases I should've gotten throughout the life of the contract,......There isn't any "bonus" that's going to make that up to me and my family. How could you negotiate a 5 year agreement that cuts wages,....in a time when a CDL-A HAZ-MAT, Doubles-Triples, Tanker qualified driver is a scarce commodity in the employment market? All I can think of is that ABF management is going to choke on this contract as far as hiring qualified people,.......They are going to have to ask to re-open this steaming heap of a contract,... and "adjust",...some of the more controversial provisions, such as "8 years to get two weeks vacation",....and possibly a reduction in casual/preferred casual language,....just to attract the bare minimum to cover the attrition rate when we start to retire en masse,.....which should reach a peak in about a year and a half, at most. Notice how you don't hear about how "ABF employees are the best paid drivers, and have the best compensation package in the industry." anymore,.....especially after UPSF has finalized their contract, standardized their health care, stabilized their defined benefit single employer pension,...and negotiated a wage package that'll put them about $4.00 an hour ahead of us at the end of our contract? How about it Mr. Slagle? Apples to Apples,.....which contract is better, now? And,...........Lord knows why any young person would want to do this,.........but if I was a young person looking for a "career" in LTL,....that would benefit me and my family in the long run the best,......well,...I don't think I would choose ABF over UPSF,.....looking at it long-termwise. Good Luck trying to attract new-hires Mr. Slagle! Your short-sightedness, .....and the IBT's lackadaisical negotiating skills have killed off the last fragile remaining chance to attract experienced non-Union LTL drivers to this company,.........and a large influx of inexperienced young drivers will ,.....finally,....point out to you and your management crew exactly just what an "experienced" LTL guy does,....and what he's truly worth........Oh,..that's right,.....you won't be here long enough to see the collapse of this company due to inexperience, rising damage claims, rising accident claims, dropping fitness rating, low CSA2010 scores,...dropping morale because management's only answer to these problems will be more discipline,....and more surveillance (of course,...with no "corroboration.....),.....and ABF will just sink under the waves, and no longer be a special place to work,....just another rat-ball freight carrier with a high turnover rate of employees,......nope,....you'll be in some sunny clime fumbling with the golf clubs.......well I won't be there, either. I can't afford those sunny climes,.....don't golf,....may have to work a part-time job to pay the bills,......four children through college, you know,......and that 7% cut certainly didn't help..........but I won't be out there breaking my back, and risking my life,....and health,....sliding a set through a snowstorm,......and I hope you've earmarked a good replacement for me,.......CDL-A, HAZ-MAT, Doubles-Triples, Tanker qualified,......and willing to work for less than a UPSF employee,....or an electrician,....or a welder,.....or a pipeliner,.....in other words,....maybe a little brain-dead. After all, you didn't hire me for my looks..........

You’re dead on about the problems ABF is & will have in finding new qualified help. 8 years before 2 weeks, 300.00 to join the union, 60.00 monthly dues, midnight shifts for the first 5 years, & forcing 12 to 14 hour days on just about everyone, is a major obstacle ABF has to overcome. Keep in mind, for every 40 hours of overtime they can get from labor it saves them from hiring 1 person. They just saved $35,000.00 in Health & Welfare payments to Central States in 1 year for not hiring that person. Look @ what happened @ 034 on their recent hires. None of them made it. Indy alone has 5 people on the city board retiring between now & the end of the year. With Columbus, Terre Haute, Lafayette & Muncie barns all closed & running out of there, adding 60 to 90 minutes of window time before the first stop, it is a disaster happening right this minute. More complaints in the form of e-mail, phone calls & letters have hit the Fort about the problems @ 050. For many different reasons more freight is being brought back than in any previous history. We need a work out team or whatever you want to call it, to spend not 1 but 2 weeks @ 050 to find the problems & correct them. Then the same people come back in 60 days to check the operations for improvements & to make changes where needed. In general ABF has been a good employer to most of the men & women working there. The changes made in the last year or 2 have changed the perception of our work place so much, it has changed the morale of the work place. The extra effort that we have always given has changed. That effort is based on the morale of the work force. Hard to produce a great OR, with a low morale. von

I didn't know ABF was still in business. WOW. Hey how about this maybe if we spent less time in younin meetins complaining, and more time hauling freight bullfrog might survive.

I didn't know ABF was still in business. WOW. Hey how about this maybe if we spent less time in younin meetins complaining, and more time hauling freight bullfrog might survive.

Ahh,.....Yessir!.....That's the answer! Us stoopid truckdrivers don't know what's good for us. Actually have a voice in how things are done? Only dinosaurs think like that! This is the Tweny-First Century! Workers no longer need things like the First Amendment,......which was the only thing that kept Frick, Carnegie, and J.P. Morgan from buying enough Congressmen to pass a law making it illegal to join a Union a hundred years ago. We don't need that now! We need a benevolent and kind employer to guide us through life,....(that is, if they don't decide to get rid of us,....because we're interfering with profits....).........who knows far, far better what we need than any collective voice of workers........Yessir!......Let me rip up my Union card,.....duct tape my mouth,....and enter into the new Worker Utopia that's espoused by Mr. "deputyd".....Head down , mouth shut, more productive that way.........No Foolishness, like having the right to speak up at work and question things,.....much like the non-Union job Mr. "deputyd" must have, since he didn't know ABF was still in business........You must be working in a virtual Worker's Paradise, Mr. "deputyd"!......Just think of all the time you're saving by not having to exercise your First Amendment Rights!........You can sacrifice that time on the altar at your workplace!.....I'm sure your family won't mind,......dedicated employee that you are............(....honestly,buddy...........do you understand how fragile the Right to Collective Bargaining is? A few more....."voters"...like you, and we won't have to worry about Unions. Do a little research,....maybe read the Preamble to the Constitution,....before you blurt out things like that in public......)(.......and just where did you say you worked?....just to compare, you know? Hey,....if it's better there, I might come over.......tell us how much better your place of employment is......Please do.....)