Central Transport | 53 foot long boxes

detroit 1967, they will prob give you one to pull through detroit on peddle and use the 48s on linehaul. lol. now that's chasing greatness. roll door 48s on linehaul and 53 swings for city. lmfao.

detroit 1967, they will prob give you one to pull through detroit on peddle and use the 48s on linehaul. lol. now that's chasing greatness. roll door 48s on linehaul and 53 swings for city. lmfao.
Swing doors in the city only on a rainy day...

we've done that for years, bringing back half to 3/4 full 53's that extra 2 spots realy come in handy especially the swings.

i can see that if from california, running a 53 out there has always been a problem hauling heavy with their kingpin to axle restrictions (if they still have it, been a few years) back then most everyone was 43 feet kingpin to rear axle (same as a 48 foot stretched out with a 36 inch deep kingpin) and cali was 40 feet to rear axle (basically slid up tight on most trailers like great dane or wabash, utility had a few extra holes with their long sliders) was a real pain to scale 46k in a wagon, then have to run across country like that to stay axle legal,,,,, fun in cross winds (or like me carrying my own pallet jack i would re-arrange when i got to yuma or reno for more lenght)

I dont run the city but I do know the places that are city guys have to go up he in west central PA and a 53 foot trailer does not make it any eaiser in are small towns.
I hate to say this but I like how the KR48 Milan trailers are set up. You got built in load racks to stack freight for the line haul side of things and for the the city driver you have roll doors and there 48 foot long.

until your dock guys run into them bars when they are 8 feet off the floor ruining you from using them on P&D. i cannot count how many time i have asked to keep one of them, rob the beams from other trailers to make a full compliment, and let me go. barely anything is stacked on P&D here, and we constantly run 2 or 3 guys to a city 75 miles away, i could do it all with a stacker (fed ex and conway haul more in 1 pup than i can in a 53, USE YOUR HEAD VITRAN)

Talked to our tm he said that its true because California has a new law with wind skerts. The only way around it is to pull 48' or shorter.

Talked to our tm he said that its true because California has a new law with wind skerts. The only way around it is to pull 48' or shorter.

incorrect.......... the addition of something (requires one) of aero advantage is on NEW trailers, no retro to older trailers (and this is 53 foot box only)

i was in error, since i an not OTR anymore, i have not been paying attention to CAL regs. when these were first implemented and i ran out there, at that time there was no retro requirements in the regs, well, there is now

i stand corrected :hide:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/cc/HDGHG/HDGHG_Genl_Fact_Sheet.pdf

For trailers subject to the regulation:
· 2011 and newer MY 53-foot or longer box-type trailers must, beginning January 1, 2010, be either
o SmartWay certified or
o Retrofitted with SmartWay verified technologies, as follows:
 Low rolling resistance tires, and
 Aerodynamic devices
· 2010 and older MY 53-foot or longer box-type trailers (with the exception of certain 2003 to 2009 MY
refrigerated-van trailers) must meet the same aerodynamic device requirements as 2011 and newer MY
trailers either:
o By January 1, 2013, or
o According to a compliance schedule based on fleet size which allows them to phase-in their
compliance over time.
· 2010 and older MY trailers must use SmartWay verified low rolling resistance tires by January 1, 2017.
· 2003 to 2009 MY refrigerated-van trailers equipped with 2003 or newer MY transport refrigeration units have
a compliance phase-in between 2017 and 2019.

CA has always been a hard state for trucking. Now with CARB requiring retrofits on older trucks and refers, i do not know who many there will stay in business, and out of staters travel there. imagine having a 2009 truck that is going to have to meet 2013 green house standards? i have read anywhere from 15k to 25k for equipment. truck values are going through the floor (mexican truck auctions are happy) so stick 25k into a 40k truck, or have to spend 90k on a new truck, or just get shut down...........instead of picking on truckers, why don't they regulate refried beans on tacos? their gas can't be much healthier than a good old detroit V92

I heard that it will cost $2,800 per trailer to put on the wind skirts. WHERE IN THE HELL DOES THE STATE OF CA. COME UP WITH THESE FIGURES, AND WHERE DOES THE MONEY GO????

just what we need here in the east more 53' the towns out here were bult when this country was founded horse and buggy amish still pull them. cally has always been the land of fruits and nuts soon to have solar panels on trucks so you can only run on sunny days and wind skirt are so when they put the mast on your 48' sail for wind power. money to jerry's nose candy foundation and to buy rolling paper's for friends so they can sit in think tank and come up with new idea's to screw trucking ind. over. to many of the fruits and veggies are getting sick from desiel fumes. super thanks for asking.