7 killed when trailer detaches from rig, slams into minivan in upstate New York

Thank you for this crash news link SPACECADETwACDL I saw this on our local news last night.
The location of the crash is about 250 miles south east of my community & I could not find a good link to post.
I see the one you have here is out of San Antonio,TX.,sometimes it is odd to see where some news is reported from.

Here is the only link I found. Coroner: NY crash victims include 4 kids, 3 adults - Beckley, Bluefield & Lewisburg News, Weather, Sports

Now to the crash,it is very rare to see a trailer get detached in a crash if it was fully locked,at the time of hookup.
I am sure the crash reconstruction team will be able to determine if this trucker was negligent in anyway.

Hope for his sake it was an equipment malfunction.
Sad to see anything this horrific for everyone involved.

Seven killed in Cortland County crash identified | syracuse.com

12842830-mmmain.jpg

Tractor-trailers are required to have "fifth wheel" coupling mechanisms to ensure that the trailer is locked onto the tractor, according to Rick Gunn, a licensed tractor-trailer inspector in Virginia. The trailer has a steel pin, called a pintle, that's about 3 inches thick and 6 inches long. The tractor has a large spring-loaded lock, shaped like a horseshoe, which locks into place around the pintle when the driver backs the tractor under the trailer, he said.

Gunn said he's occasionally seen the spring in the lock break so the mechanism can't lock into place over the pintle. But if that happens, the driver should detect it during a safety check the driver is supposed to do, Gunn said. Before a driver begins driving a load, he's supposed to pull a 2-foot handle on the fifth wheel to make sure the lock is set. If the handle pulls loose, the driver would know the trailer wasn't locked in place, Gunn said.

"Once he pulls that handle and it comes loose, he should say, 'I want a new truck,'" Gunn said.
Devastating Cortland County crash caused by mechanical error | syracuse.com
I can't believe he didn't say, "visually check to make sure jaws are locked"

From the pic it looked like a lowboy (I've never pulled one but I assume you'd have to put the tractor near a 90 degree angle to do a visual check).

Actually that lowboy in the pic is from the guy that brought the bulldozer to clean up. There's another angle pic someplace that I saw, that detective looking guy is actually just trying to get mud off his shoes..lol

When I was a UPS Freight safety trainer I myself,& everyone I taught to drive,I had them hit the pin,do a pull up.
Then shut off the tractor to go & make a visual of the fifth wheel jaws.
By going under the trailer & looking to see if there was any light showing between the jaws.
Of course if there was light showing the jaws were not completely locked.
Which meant getting the fifth wheel repaired or getting another tractor.

I would of hated any thing negative coming from some step of that operation that I skipped.

Tractor-trailers are required to have "fifth wheel" coupling mechanisms to ensure that the trailer is locked onto the tractor, according to Rick Gunn, a licensed tractor-trailer inspector in Virginia. The trailer has a steel pin, called a pintle, that's about 3 inches thick and 6 inches long.

Its called a kingpin in the other 49 states. A pintle is what is found on a converter gear used to hook a set of double trailers together.

Before a driver begins driving a load, he's supposed to pull a 2-foot handle on the fifth wheel to make sure the lock is set. If the handle pulls loose, the driver would know the trailer wasn't locked in place, Gunn said.

"Once he pulls that handle and it comes loose, he should say, 'I want a new truck,'" Gunn said.

What handle is this moron talking about? The only handle under there is the 5th wheel release. If you pull it and the trailer comes loose, it's working. That's what it's supposed to do, dummy.

Score another one for the news. Good job finding an expert that is completely clueless.

Guardrail

I am glad you said what you did Guardrail because after reading that article I thought for the last 24 yearsI have misunderstood how a fifth wheel worked .