XPO | 70 Hour Question

here in xca we are going to a 70 hr. book on monday 5-10-09. it really doesn't effect me. i'm third from the bottom of the board and they make sure i have enough hours to work six days a week. so when this goes into effect i'm still going to be working six days a week just with 10 more hours to do it in. if we want a saturday off we have to go in and schedule it off. we don't get charged a p.t.o. day but if you don't schedule it off they put you on the list. we are so covered up that the daytime flex gets to work every saturday.

[quote author=dodge ram link=topic=78816.msg826995#msg826995 date=1273006979]
My position hasn't changed. They (Con-Way) want to scream and yell about safety. I don't see what is safe about letting someone or giving someone the ability to work and drive 70 hours in 5 days. It is a recipe for disaster. I don't care if some parts of the company has been doing it for X amount of time. All it takes is 1 mistake, either yours or someone Else's and your judgment and your reflexes are slow because you are tired. It's not worth it.
[/quote] I agree as well, also 60 plus hours in the city is not safe either, with one 30 minute luch??? I am wore out by wensday. It is too much. It is not safe. I do not ever want to see the "get enough sleep"video again.l

[quote author=Merdock link=topic=78816.msg827035#msg827035 date=1273015640]
[quote author=dodge ram link=topic=78816.msg827021#msg827021 date=1273013007]
Passing on the greed to the drivers. In the Central region, all it is going to do is make for late freight back to the service centers because people have more hours to suck the clock. Reships will close later as the week goes. 4 hour delay on Fridays. City operation delayed too much from late inbound from reships.
[/quote] They are driving past 14 hours where I am.

Well ya can't drive past your 14th, so with lunch and breaks you're down to 13. The government doesn't offer a 65 hour rule so what are ya going to do? Continue forcing guys out of their bids to run long to cover the runs? Force guys to run short or not run at all to work with hours available? Plant some seeds and add a little water and boom... an extra driver or two just when ya need them? The only terminals going to 70 hour logs are the ones with run criteria having problems within the 60 hour rule. The freight gets back earlier when your not running out to pick guys up. As stated earlier, it makes things easier to manage on the part of the driver.

No one is forcing anyone to do anything... heck on your last day you can even stop for a beer or two, ah, or three, or four, or five, or six, or seven, or eight, or nine...
[/quote]

[quote author=freightman68 link=topic=78816.msg828296#msg828296 date=1273412458]
[quote author=Merdock link=topic=78816.msg827035#msg827035 date=1273015640]
[quote author=dodge ram link=topic=78816.msg827021#msg827021 date=1273013007]
Passing on the greed to the drivers. In the Central region, all it is going to do is make for late freight back to the service centers because people have more hours to suck the clock. Reships will close later as the week goes. 4 hour delay on Fridays. City operation delayed too much from late inbound from reships.
[/quote] They are driving past 14 hours where I am.

Well ya can't drive past your 14th, so with lunch and breaks you're down to 13. The government doesn't offer a 65 hour rule so what are ya going to do? Continue forcing guys out of their bids to run long to cover the runs? Force guys to run short or not run at all to work with hours available? Plant some seeds and add a little water and boom... an extra driver or two just when ya need them? The only terminals going to 70 hour logs are the ones with run criteria having problems within the 60 hour rule. The freight gets back earlier when your not running out to pick guys up. As stated earlier, it makes things easier to manage on the part of the driver.

No one is forcing anyone to do anything... heck on your last day you can even stop for a beer or two, ah, or three, or four, or five, or six, or seven, or eight, or nine...
[/quote]
[/quote]

You can go past your 14 hour, once a week after a 34 hour reset. You can be on duty 16 hours once after every reset.

once again, you cannot drive after 14 hours on duty. Start at 8:00 and you cannot drive after 10:00. Work 16 once a week, yes. But you cannot drive in the window between the 14th hour and your 16 hours on-duty. Also, you "must be released from duty" within the 16th hour when using your 16 hour exception.

"Maximum driving time for property-carrying drivers:
The 14-hour rule states a driver shall not drive after the end of the 14th hour after coming on duty following 10 hours off duty.
Clock starts when a driver goes on duty.
All time counts – even lines 1 and 2 – toward the 14 consecutive hours."

[quote author=Merdock link=topic=78816.msg828440#msg828440 date=1273440279]
once again, you cannot drive after 14 hours on duty. Start at 8:00 and you cannot drive after 10:00. Work 16 once a week, yes. But you cannot drive in the window between the 14th hour and your 16 hours on-duty. Also, you "must be released from duty" within the 16th hour when using your 16 hour exception.

The 14-hour rule states a driver shall not drive after the end of the 14th hour after coming on duty following 10 hours off duty.

[/quote]

Merdock, not trying to start an argument here but this is incorrect. You can indeed drive beyond the 14'th hour up to the 16'th hour once per cycle so long as you do not exceed 11 total hours of driving or use the adverse driving rule. In fact, you can work 15 hours per day Monday and Tuesday while still having your 16 hour day intact so long as all time after the 14'th hour was on line 4 and not line 3.

Here's a good link with FAQ'S about the 16 hour rule..

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/driver/hos/hos-faqs.asp#_Toc111021250

I'm a fan of us finally going to the 70 hour log out East as most of our line-haul drivers are. I have three main reasons I'm a fan.

1. I never have to worry about my hours again. I can take a nice via that I want on Tuesday and no longer worry about maintaining my hours for Friday since I want to run my bid all 5 days.

2. I run line-haul to make money M-F as do most of my co-workers. If I was not out here to make money I would bid city so I like the fact I now have 10 more money making hours. I probably won't really work that much more but I like the fact I can hit the outbound if I'm waiting on 2 without doing the "what will that do to my hours" routine.

3. The 15% that love to show up at the FAC and do the "I'm short on time since it's Friday" dance can go to hell. Those that I let cut out ahead of me M-T to maintain time for Friday will still get my two on Saturday if they have something to do but those that burned me with the dance will get the Saturday via's I like only they'll get em two hours later.. hehehe.. They will soon learn they should have never burned me without saying a word to me about the situation - most of my fellow line-haul drivers here are also licking their chops about this..

I'm gonna add a number 4.. I can now break 100K without breaking a sweat.. Pretty good for driving a truck if you ask me..

[/quote]
Sorry but you are wrong. You can drive past your 14 hour with your 2 hour extension. You can work indefinitely past your 16th hour as long as you don't drive. After your 16th hour you can work 8,10, 20 hours if you like, you just can't drive until you have had 10 hours off and you can't drive past 14 once you do the 16 hour day until you have a 34 hour reset. There is NO rule of how many hours you can work in a row, you just can't drive more than 11 hours 16 hour rule or not.

If you can't drive past 14 then what good is the 16 hour rule? What is it's purpose? We have been running the 70 book out west for quite some time now and believe me, we know how it works and what you can do and can't do.

full_header_980.gif

Here's the DOT regs in PDF form : http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/driver/hos/fmcsa-guide-to-hos.pdf

Here's the main page in HTML : http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/topics/hos/index.htm

[quote author=bigfoot077 link=topic=78816.msg828524#msg828524 date=1273460836]

[/quote]
Sorry but you are wrong. You can drive past your 14 hour with your 2 hour extension. You can work indefinitely past your 16th hour as long as you don't drive. After your 16th hour you can work 8,10, 20 hours if you like, you just can't drive until you have had 10 hours off and you can't drive past 14 once you do the 16 hour day until you have a 34 hour reset. There is NO rule of how many hours you can work in a row, you just can't drive more than 11 hours 16 hour rule or not.

If you can't drive past 14 then what good is the 16 hour rule? What is it's purpose? We have been running the 70 book out west for quite some time now and believe me, we know how it works and what you can do and can't do.
[/quote]

Indeed.. I thought you were telling me I was wrong for a minute.. I posted a link with my reply that explains the rule well..

Turns out we're saying the same thing..

I would think someone pulling 3 would know the rules and not spread false information...

What Is the 16-Hour Short-Haul Exception?
If you usually come back to your work-reporting location and go home at the end of your workday,
you might be able to use the 16-hour short-haul exception. This exception allows you to extend the 14-consecutive-hour duty period once every 7 consecutive days. In order to use this exception, you must do the following:

You must return to your work reporting location that day, as well as for your last 5 duty tours. A duty tour is the period of time from when you come to work to when you leave work. It is your “workday,” the time between your off-duty periods of at least 10 consecutive hours.

You must be released from duty within 16 hours after coming on duty.

You must only use this exception once every 7 consecutive days (unless you took 34 consecutive
hours off to restart a 7/8-day period).
You may not use this exception if you qualify for the “Non-CDL Short Haul Exception” explained earlier.
This regulation is found in Section 395.1(o).

[quote author=rightturn link=topic=78816.msg817877#msg817877 date=1269966475]
I for one think that it would be crazy. what they have now is too much considering the pace and stress that is implemented daily, why add insult to injury. As far as i am concerned they are pushing over the limit now.Of course you are going to have the ones that would work 100 hrs a week if they could.
In all actuality they could cut alot of hours and pay more to their core people and still be a major player in the industry. Its all about greed and it is not geared to the people that make this work day in and day out. If they would get rid of the :buttkisser: and listen to what their dedicated hard working people have to contribute it would benefit everyone in the long run. (Thats my opinion)
[/quote]it is all good. the pressure of keeping hours to run on friday is off. no sence of urgency anymore. get home anytime now. do not have to watch the punches... it is a pressure releif.. still working under 60 but no more pressure.all good!!!!

[quote author=beingpissed on link=topic=78816.msg828601#msg828601 date=1273507552]
[quote author=rightturn link=topic=78816.msg817877#msg817877 date=1269966475]
I for one think that it would be crazy. what they have now is too much considering the pace and stress that is implemented daily, why add insult to injury. As far as i am concerned they are pushing over the limit now.Of course you are going to have the ones that would work 100 hrs a week if they could.
In all actuality they could cut alot of hours and pay more to their core people and still be a major player in the industry. Its all about greed and it is not geared to the people that make this work day in and day out. If they would get rid of the :buttkisser: and listen to what their dedicated hard working people have to contribute it would benefit everyone in the long run. (Thats my opinion)
[/quote]it is all good. the pressure of keeping hours to run on friday is off. no sence of urgency anymore. get home anytime now. do not have to watch the punches... it is a pressure releif.. still working under 60 but no more pressure.all good!!!!
[/quote] still can not drive after 14 hours!!!

What Is the 16-Hour Short-Haul Exception?
If you usually come back to your work-reporting location and go home at the end of your workday,
you might be able to use the 16-hour short-haul exception. This exception allows you to extend the 14-consecutive-hour duty period once every 7 consecutive days. In order to use this exception, you must do the following:

You must return to your work reporting location that day, as well as for your last 5 duty tours. A duty tour is the period of time from when you come to work to when you leave work. It is your “workday,” the time between your off-duty periods of at least 10 consecutive hours.

You must be released from duty within 16 hours after coming on duty.

You must only use this exception once every 7 consecutive days (unless you took 34 consecutive
hours off to restart a 7/8-day period).
You may not use this exception if you qualify for the “Non-CDL Short Haul Exception” explained earlier.
This regulation is found in Section 395.1(o).[YES YOU CAN
[/quote] still can not drive after 14 hours!!!
[/quote]

[quote author=poppabear link=topic=78816.msg828630#msg828630 date=1273513247]
yes you can drive after the 14th hour, 16 hour exception, but are still limited to the 11 hour driving rule.
[/quote][quote author=R-14Driver link=topic=78816.msg828526#msg828526 date=1273461213]
full_header_980.gif

Here's the DOT regs in PDF form : http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/driver/hos/fmcsa-guide-to-hos.pdf

Here's the main page in HTML : http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/topics/hos/index.htm
[/quote]

Here's the rules :thumbsup:

lets all write letters to the d.o.t and ask them to try rewriting the rules so they can make it a little more confusing,w.t.f., i swear what a bunch of morons, how freaking hard is it to realize when your too tired to go anymore you stop. unless your on a ******* mission anyone with any common sense is gonna stop. its sh##t like this that the government gets involved in and has to write a documentry on rules and regulations. this just pi##es me off to no end. i am so glad that i have 40 safe yrs. under my belt and can see the end. dont no how much more of ths is crap i could take :rant:( Born on a moutain, raised in a cave, truckin and f###ing used to be all i craved) everybody should work 8 hours and GO HOME

It really won't make much of a difference if you have a long run. The problem is if you have a short run where you can't show a break. drivers at XGH to XLA. those drivers are getting overtime on the dock. These people in management keep wanting more and more. We are human, not machines.