Holland | 705 Latest Information 6.26.2008

Unionist

TB Lurker
Credits
It has been said that 705 has notified Joint Council 25 as well as all other locals in the country that a possible work action could take place in Chicago in the very near future.

Supposedly, the International and the leadership of Local 710 Chicago are backing the leadership of Local 705

Source:705 BA

Speculation is that 705 will seek to follow the freight, not just stand in front of their respective terminals.

Teamster Words to Live By,

"if we cannot get what we need across the table,
we will get it in the street."
anonymous

"what is done to one of us is done to all of us."

"every individual must be willing to sacrifice for the good of the whole"

"those that came before us got us where we are, it is up to us to protect this job for those that come after us"

In Brotherhood and Solidarity

Ten famous sayings by the wise Lumpersam & others much wiser

I would respectfully like to add these quotes to Uni***st"s list.

Ten Famous Sayings by the wise Lumpersam and others much wiser.

1. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Confucious
2. A penny saved is a penny earned. Ben F.
3. Change we can count on. Ba***ck O.
4. It's raining cats and dogs. Anonymous
5. Don't forget to put on your goulashes. My Granny.
6. Last call. My bar tender Louie.
7. Don't answer the phone it might be my wife. Very anonymous.
8. To err is human only if you get caught. Alfred E. Neuman.
9. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.
My 10 yr. old grandson

And the last Famous Sayings by Lumpersam and others much wiser.

10. Wish in one hand & S**t in the other and see which one fills up first. My uncle Opie

It has been said that 705 has notified Joint Council 25 as well as all other locals in the country that a possible work action could take place in Chicago in the very near future.

Supposedly, the International and the leadership of Local 710 Chicago are backing the leadership of Local 705

Source:705 BA

Speculation is that 705 will seek to follow the freight, not just stand in front of their respective terminals.

Teamster Words to Live By,

"if we cannot get what we need across the table,
we will get it in the street."
anonymous

"what is done to one of us is done to all of us."

"every individual must be willing to sacrifice for the good of the whole"

"those that came before us got us where we are, it is up to us to protect this job for those that come after us"

In Brotherhood and Solidarity
What do you mean by "follow the freight"? If there is a strike you will bump into other terminals that approved the contract? That would be pretty shi**y now wouldnt it? Whether we like it or not the contract was approved yet you Chicagoland terminals are holding out, only to threaten bumping into other terminals. By the way, you forgot my favorite TEAMSTER quote....""an honest days work for an honest days pay!" I can honestly say that I have never seen an "honest days work" out of anyone in any of the Chicagoland terminals when I have been there! In Brotherhood and Solidarity!
:hide:

I would respectfully like to add these quotes to Uni***st"s list.

Ten Famous Sayings by the wise Lumpersam and others much wiser.

1. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Confucious
2. A penny saved is a penny earned. Ben F.
3. Change we can count on. Ba***ck O.
4. It's raining cats and dogs. Anonymous
5. Don't forget to put on your goulashes. My Granny.
6. Last call. My bar tender Louie.
7. Don't answer the phone it might be my wife. Very anonymous.
8. To err is human only if you get caught. Alfred E. Neuman.
9. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.
My 10 yr. old grandson

And the last Famous Sayings by Lumpersam and others much wiser.

10. Wish in one hand & S**t in the other and see which one fills up first. My uncle Opie
Lumper.... I think you hung out with your bartender Louie too long today. Go to bed!!!

By "Follow the Freight" I think he means they will picket other terminals. In essence, follow the freight.

I dont think plumpersam has been with bartender Louie too long. Ive actually have read most of his post and by the way he writes he is either a non union driver or MANAGEMENT.

I wonder if YRC(W¿)USFH's (TNT was so much easier to type!) Joliet, Rockford and Milwaukee terminals can handle their own freight plus the 705's? I doubt it.
I remember when McCook was the only 705 YRC(W¿)USFH terminal and it was crazy busy. I imagine Joliet could possibly have the ability to operate as McCook once did. It's certainly large enough to considering the low freight volumes?? Read into that what you wish.

As far as "follow the freight" part.... we couldn't bump another locals seniority. If they permanently ceased all operations in the 705 area, it would be like what is currently going on in the master. dovetail or endtail what they need, lay off the rest. Vacation seniority remains, become lowman on totem pole again.

I have to defend the city drivers in the chicago metro area. We work our as**s off. It's no picnic pulling big boxes around a metro area designed for the original teamster's.(Horse and wagon) Mid century trailers and straight trucks were what the majority of loading docks were designed for in Chicago. A lot have been "updated" to accomodate 48 and 53 foot trailers. Even updated, it's still like cramming a square peg in a round hole.
Did I mention chicago has 1540 viaducts on 227 square miles of land? Thats about 6 or 7 viaducts every square mile, most of them under 13 feet. Most are mismarked. Wedged trailers under viaducts are a daily and nighlty thing. If you become wedged after dark or even in the day before authorities arrive, you may be robbed, possibly injured or murdered by crack addicts, gangbangers or thieves roaming the city daily for easy targets. They will shoot you for a dollar, for wearing your hat crooked or for your vehicle.
Certainly not an area for slackers. In Chicago, we give an honest days work for an honest days pay.

Chicago

More power to ya !
Chicago Teamsters have never su*ked hind t*t. Back in the 80s they got us an extra 50 cents because they would not settle for less.

I dont think plumpersam has been with bartender Louie too long. Ive actually have read most of his post and by the way he writes he is either a non union driver or MANAGEMENT.

Big Papa, I think its an inside joke. He's one of us though. Lump, I think I got it.

The International will never back 705 they have been wanting to put them as well as 710 in trusteeship since the Carey days. The reason for it is $$$$$$$$$$$, both 705 and 710 have very healthy pension funds. Like I said earlier the $14hr casuals is what all of our dockman are going to be the days of full time dockman will be phased out, if you dont believe me look at the history of UPS this is how it all started with them. As far as getting it changed in 5 years no way Ive been through plenty of contracts and once language is in it rarely will be removed especially if it benefits the company.

big papa

The International will never back 705 they have been wanting to put them as well as 710 in trusteeship since the Carey days. The reason for it is $$$$$$$$$$$, both 705 and 710 have very healthy pension funds. Like I said earlier the $14hr casuals is what all of our dockman are going to be the days of full time dockman will be phased out, if you dont believe me look at the history of UPS this is how it all started with them. As far as getting it changed in 5 years no way Ive been through plenty of contracts and once language is in it rarely will be removed especially if it benefits the company.

Think about it, what would the international have to gain by ignoring 705, or downright causing us pain by not going along with our actions, should we get to that point. It could actually enhance the leadership of 705 if it goes wrong, and that wouldn't be to Hoffa's benifit in the context would it? Wrong from the perspective of 705 members, if Hoffa interferes negativly the Chicago Teamsters, in all locals, as well as locals around the country, will all have long memories at election time. If it happens to 705 it can happen everywhere, yes?
It certainly would not enhance Hoffa's standing.

From what I am hearing there are very few people in Teamsters that are happy about the NMFA.

He might want both 710 and 705 money but the 710 leadership is an International Vice-President. Don't think Hoffa wants that kind of dissent going into the next election, do you.

As for 705, well we will just have to see.

Everyone should just relax.

What is wrong with having 705 be a strong local? It always has been.

Maybe the leadership of every other local will get the underlying message that it is about doing the right thing for their members, not self aggrandizement.

Because when a leadership does the right thing their longevity is guaranteed, isn't it?

And you are right, if something gets into a contract, it is nearly impossible to remove or even alter it five years down the road.

All the more reason for 705 to fight tooth and nail for not only itself, but for all Teamsters everywhere.

Remember, what is done to one of us, is done to all of us.

You all should support 705 not degrade us, aren't we doing what we are supposed to do under the flag of UNIONISM.

Have to go but certainly am willing to continue this conversation later today.

The dialog I post here is really from the heart.
I am not one to bull or embellish, it is what it is.

Think about it, what would the international have to gain by ignoring 705, or downright causing us pain by not going along with our actions, should we get to that point. It could actually enhance the leadership of 705 if it goes wrong, and that wouldn't be to Hoffa's benifit in the context would it? Wrong from the perspective of 705 members, if Hoffa interferes negativly the Chicago Teamsters, in all locals, as well as locals around the country, will all have long memories at election time. If it happens to 705 it can happen everywhere, yes?
It certainly would not enhance Hoffa's standing.

From what I am hearing there are very few people in Teamsters that are happy about the NMFA.

He might want both 710 and 705 money but the 710 leadership is an International Vice-President. Don't think Hoffa wants that kind of dissent going into the next election, do you.

As for 705, well we will just have to see.

Everyone should just relax.

What is wrong with having 705 be a strong local? It always has been.

Maybe the leadership of every other local will get the underlying message that it is about doing the right thing for their members, not self aggrandizement.

Because when a leadership does the right thing their longevity is guaranteed, isn't it?

And you are right, if something gets into a contract, it is nearly impossible to remove or even alter it five years down the road.

All the more reason for 705 to fight tooth and nail for not only itself, but for all Teamsters everywhere.

Remember, what is done to one of us, is done to all of us.

You all should support 705 not degrade us, aren't we doing what we are supposed to do under the flag of UNIONISM.

Have to go but certainly am willing to continue this conversation later today.

The dialog I post here is really from the heart.
I am not one to bull or embellish, it is what it is.

Ok, now that I know what you meant by "follow the freight" I feel better! As far as what I said about "an honest days work for an honest days pay", I think I was just aggravated; because there are bad apples at every terminal! Yet there are 10 more that pick up the slack for the slackers! It is crappy to come in for a switch and sit for 2 hours though. I would rather be down the road than sitting in a break room listening to a bunch of whining truck drivers. And no, I would never want to be a city man in Chicago. I respect them for what they have to deal with out on those streets everyday!:1036316054:

Unionists, I agree 100% with you I was just stating my opinion of why Intl is not backing you guys, I only wish 179 had half the spine 705 does. Rumor has it are BA told the steward to tell the guys who have been bit**ing about not having a contract to tell them to go f*ck themselves they will get it when hes ready!! nice representation huh.

Sorry to pop in on your thread, Please cut me off at the knees

My understanding is 705 wants to expand there district to include other locals areas.. question is how can they do this through a company negotiation... isn't that up to the joint council and the international not the company???? of course this stuff is twisted by the time a simple dockman heres it so if you could can someone explain??? and yes i have already read the 705 homepage did not help

April 1, 2008
Helpers * $25.68
Driver’s * $26.06
this is 705 site

http://www.teamsterslocal705.org/705ProposalsTMI_CSMCA08CBAMarch18.pdf

Chicago Roadway said......
My understanding is 705 wants to expand there district to include other locals areas.. question is how can they do this through a company negotiation... isn't that up to the joint council and the international not the company???? of course this stuff is twisted by the time a simple dockman heres it so if you could can someone explain??? and yes i have already read the 705 homepage did not help

Maybe I can clarify this for Chicago Roadway.
We have always had a 75 mile radius from chicago's main post office as our jurisdiction in 705. As you know, there are 3 or 4 other locals that are well within that 75 radius and represent drivers who work for our company. How/why this was allowed to happen over the years is beyond me. (Backroom deals between the company and joint council and locals perhaps?) Doing this limits each locals strength. These companies have set up satelite terminals all around the fringe areas, but still in the 75 miles radius, for the sole purpose of getting out of the 705 and 710 work rules. Joliet's terminal was built new some years ago with this in mind and after a ruling by the joint council 25, it is was deemed that the 179 will represent them. The Joliet terminal's area was the 705's area for decades. It ran joliet and on out -1-80 to seneca and south 20 miles from Seneca. 40-50 miles past joliet.

What the 705 wants is NOT to expand their jurisdiction. IT ALREADY IS THEIR JURISDICTION TO BEGIN WITH!
We cannot do anything about whats currently going on regarding other locals representing our drivers in our area. Joint Council allowed that mess to start and continue and it is what it is. BUT, until recently, the 705 didn't have an officer sitting on the Joint Council, which is why we got stiffed on the new joliet barns opening. We now HAVE an officer from our local on Joint Council and he is our S-T.

What we (705) can do is require that ANY NEW TERMINALS OPENED IN OUR AREA ,ARE TO BE SERVED BY THE 705. We are fighting ourselves (other teamster locals) for our own territory. The 150 mile language in our proposal is for any NEW terminals opened, not existing ones already represented by another local.

In my opinion........Joint Council 25 should have a big pow-wow and talk about merging all these outskirt locals BACK into the 705. That's Teamster Strength in a nutshell. With multiple locals, the company can get anything they desire the old way. With one, they wouldn't.
They got us by the g*nads as it is.

Answer

Sorry to pop in on your thread, Please cut me off at the knees

April 1, 2008
Helpers * $25.68
Driver’s * $26.06
this is 705 site

http://www.teamsterslocal705.org/705ProposalsTMI_CSMCA08CBAMarch18.pdf

Section 22.2 - Scope
Section 2. This Agreement shall cover and include within its terms all Employees engaged in dock work and all Employees engaged in deliveries and pick-ups made on behalf of or to any place of business of any Employer, including the hauling, use, or delivery of any goods, wares,
merchandise, materials, or other things not presently covered by a written Collective Bargaining agreement with any other union.

Section 22.4 - Area of Agreement
Section 4. All work of the Employer covered shall be performed exclusively by Employees who are represented by the Union.
All work of the Employer performed within the area scope of this Agreement, as hereinafter
defined, shall be by Employees in the bargaining unit subject to the conditions set forth, herein.

The geographical area applicable to the scope of work which shall be performed
by the members of this bargaining unit is defined as a maximum of one hundred and fifty (150) mile radius from the main Post Office in Chicago, Illinois.

The money, ($3.00) is front loaded into the first year. That said, my take was that the money would be distributed thru all five years. As the second thru fifth years are printed in the document altho are blank where the amounts should be.

Again, that is only what I thought/assumed.

The key here is the dialog:

"not presently covered by a written Collective Bargaining agreement with any other union".

Hope I got it right. It gets confusing with all of the old language staring at you on the page. I think this is correct.

This is, in my opinion, the part of all of this everyone misses when they either read the pages or relate the context to anyone else.

Hence all the anger, surprise, frustration and the "who do they think they are" conversation going around.

Somebody out there proof this for me to make sure its correct, please.