ODFL | A few questions

It depends on if you are on a 30 minute, unpaid break, driving over 46 mph, and eating a bowl of chili at the time you were texting dispatch to find out what your board position will be if you click out at a specific time.
Hope you had a spoon and not a fork.

You learn to eat your necessary nutrition in 30 miles not 30 minutes. You Start off with cooked protein of some kind, followed by some form of bread or potato and then finish with a green and some kind of desert. A little dab at a time from the doghouse next to you or off the dash under the windshield as you roll.

We used to have two Dutch ovens going on the floor near the shifter. It would contain chopped ham, taters small, some onions (This is a type of food you have to have etc) and something green like brussel sprouts. Takes 6 hours to cook. You have 4 or 5 to go when it's done and ready to eat. and there is chopped tomatos and some form of drink and so forth to finish.

I don't know too much about day cabs, but we used to call ahead to whatever truckstop and have them precook and wrap in foil a particular way of meal. If I remember right in the morning I asked for a western omlette with everything, easy on Jalapenos, and then some form of potato to go with it and perhaps a bit of meat with it so that it all cooked together, wrapped in such a way you just break off as you eat going down the road.

Philadelphia Food trucks of the old roach kind with cheesesteaks, taters and onions and so on, wrapped you a few extra for the next few days for a 10.00 or so you did not count on actually pulling INTO a formal truckstop and then wasting time with all that served meal, parking and so forth. You needed to be down the road. They are waiting on you.

The three Stanley thermoses contained the jewel collection, good stiff coffee in two and strong alcohol in the third marked as such. This would be way before the CDL days where they put a stop to that. So the third contained known good water (Usually from distilled gallon jugs which broke) The spirits were not for drinking however. Its for cuts and trauma you accumulate eating splinters throwing pallets all day in the trailer. Otherwise you run a bad fever from being infected and then get really sick. Then you cannot drive. And lose your income if not your life.
The doghouse helped with hangovers , stopped me from falling over ( before randoms were started)

It depends on if you are on a 30 minute, unpaid break, driving over 46 mph, and eating a bowl of chili at the time you were texting dispatch to find out what your board position will be if you click out at a specific time.
I knew what my board position would be, I also knew if fruit season was in,
I was going to eat 1/2 bushel of oranges and pink grapefruits before I got home.
I learned another trick when they find a bad orange in Jax, they stamp the box
(Grown in California) and put it on the shelf.

I knew what my board position would be, I also knew if fruit season was in,
I was going to eat 1/2 bushel of oranges and pink grapefruits before I got home.
I learned another trick when they find a bad orange in Jax, they stamp the box
(Grown in California) and put it on the shelf.
Those bastards

The doghouse helped with hangovers , stopped me from falling over ( before randoms were started)
I have actually been issued and trained alcohol prior to the CDL days. The old trainers of the time says here is a bottle of something you say you can drink.

Bad broken concrete highway dating to 1940? Great. Have a little of this every 5 miles. No more than two shots a hour. (Schnapps etc) a little bit will take care of the bad roads on the old iron with springs. The key is to allow your body to metabolize fast enough without getting falling down drunk. You saved that for the bar when there is no hours left or no loads for a while until next week.

I do not recall much of any problems in those days. he he.... except no power steering, no airride, no heating, no airconditioning, no computer anything and sometimes no windows in the cab. If the weather was nice it's great. otherwise bundle up. Exhaust leaks and so forth had no meaning. However I can tell you some of those fine older engines... load em down and go. And you went.

I have not had a semi old iron engine fail on me however looking back on it I can say they were abused and we were always told don't worry about it check the damn oil first and every time etc.

I have actually been issued and trained alcohol prior to the CDL days. The old trainers of the time says here is a bottle of something you say you can drink.

Bad broken concrete highway dating to 1940? Great. Have a little of this every 5 miles. No more than two shots a hour. (Schnapps etc) a little bit will take care of the bad roads on the old iron with springs. The key is to allow your body to metabolize fast enough without getting falling down drunk. You saved that for the bar when there is no hours left or no loads for a while until next week.

I do not recall much of any problems in those days. he he.... except no power steering, no airride, no heating, no airconditioning, no computer anything and sometimes no windows in the cab. If the weather was nice it's great. otherwise bundle up. Exhaust leaks and so forth had no meaning. However I can tell you some of those fine older engines... load em down and go. And you went.

I have not had a semi old iron engine fail on me however looking back on it I can say they were abused and we were always told don't worry about it check the damn oil first and every time etc.
Dammit son

Sideways, you must be a lot older than me.
Although we had some trucks without heaters, we never were offered booze
Never had a truck without windows.
Back in my days, you got caught drinking on the job, you were history, no appeals.

My friend has a 15 year veteran no such thing exist on the East Coast they preplanned you and it’s hard as hell to get them to change their mind that involves work sometimes you’ll have to wait

My friend has a 15 year veteran no such thing exist on the East Coast they preplanned you and it’s hard as hell to get them to change their mind that involves work sometimes you’ll have to wait
Hurry up and Wait and they make sure you wait just enough so they don't have to pay you anything for your time.