XPO | a limit needs to be put on weight off the floor1

my god who are you? we are sure. physics plain and simple. think about it when you put 2000 lbs on an old rack yes it is up high BUT what does the old rack sit on??? THE TRAILER FLOOR!!! what does 2000 lbs on a dangerstack rack rest on? THE TRAILER WALL those braces dont go to the floor please think about how all that weight can make the sides of the trailer sway or please dont load anything i have to pull. yes i use them but only light or ugly stuff we can always go to another trailer it's cheaper to put another dsr to work than it is to kill somebody.it is never your last trailer to go to if their are empties in the yard.

Take a breath and picture the walls to which the safe stack is attached.

They are, in turn, attached to the floor.

Please, using physics as your guide, explain a relationship between the walls and the floor that would contradict this and causally effect a higher COG. And feel free to use simple terms so that I can understand your point. I will give you sway and the resulting momentum, but is it more then a rack that can slide 4 inches, or that freight can move on the rack without straps? I don't know and neither do you.

It really doesn't matter. Safe stack is all ours and we should be proud of it.....or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please, using physics as your guide, explain a relationship between the walls and the floor that would contradict this and causally effect a higher COG. And feel free to use simple terms so that I can understand your point. I will give you sway and the resulting momentum, but is it more then a rack that can slide 4 inches, or that freight can move on the rack without straps? I don't know and neither do you.

It really doesn't matter. Safe stack is all ours and we should be proud of it.....or something.

Here you go. Standing in a hallway. Feet on the floor. Where is your center of gravity? Where is the weight of you body being supported? Now put your arms out against the walls and pick up your legs. Where is your center of gravity? Where is the weight of your body being supported?

Safe stack is not all ours. Every other major carrier uses them. Read the other companies forums and you will see the same complaints and concerns.

i don't care and you just made me realize what a complete waste of my time this is. you are either playing devil's advocate and arguing for sport or you are an imbecile or in terms you can grasp STU STU STUPID!!!!

Of course it raises the center of gravity. The old racks sat on the floor. The safe stack is drilled into the walls. The freight is not grounded at all. Big difference.
I disagree. Put a lift kit in a pick up truck and the tires still sit on the ground, but the center of gravity is higher. Not that it matters, but the SS tracks are connected to the wall posts that are connected to the same rail the floor connects to. That same floor that the racks used to sit on.

It matters were the weight is, use your heads and load heavier freight on the bottom. As long as it's secured, what it's secured to does affect the center of gravity one bit.

if the weight is high the center of gravity is high load rack ,e trac or levitating doesnt matter,(except for levitating)bcuz if you have a trailer full of birds and they are all flying inside your trailer at the same time does your trailer weigh anything?

Well, we are a bunch of idiot truck drivers. Hard to put our thoughts into words, let alone type them out.

Old bottomfdrking still has a job here. Some others that used to post often and that no longer do.

A roll over like that is a bad situation. Perfect day. Something must have shifted.

i don't care and you just made me realize what a complete waste of my time this is. you are either playing devil's advocate and arguing for sport or you are an imbecile or in terms you can grasp STU STU STUPID!!!!
You need to relax please. Personal attacks are not allowed

I disagree. Put a lift kit in a pick up truck and the tires still sit on the ground, but the center of gravity is higher. Not that it matters, but the SS tracks are connected to the wall posts that are connected to the same rail the floor connects to. That same floor that the racks used to sit on.

It matters were the weight is, use your heads and load heavier freight on the bottom. As long as it's secured, what it's secured to does affect the center of gravity one bit.
As experienced professional drivers as we all are (CDL) it is very important to get a feel for the trailers you are pulling and drive accordingly. I used to shake my head in amazement when I'd watch a reship close. . Most everybody in there would hook up to their sets and take off like a bat out of hell racing each other and racing the clock. That alone should tell you that it really doesn't matter how you load the trailers . They are pretty stable regardless. If the distribution of weight really matted as you say they would be multiple rollovers on a daily basis. Again take it easy get a feel for the trailer then go your merry way .

SafeStack trailer is 900# per foot after the front 4 feet. There is not a document that states you should deck 3000 pounds. The capacity of a properly built deck is stated as 3000#. That same four feet, whether on the floor or in the air (on a deck) is 3600#. Heavy on the floor and light in the air whether load deck or SafeStack.
Safestack trailer is not 900lb/foot in the first four feet, it is 600lb/foot and 900lb/foot after the first four feet to the axle.

As experienced professional drivers as we all are (CDL) it is very important to get a feel for the trailers you are pulling and drive accordingly. I used to shake my head in amazement when I'd watch a reship close. . Most everybody in there would hook up to their sets and take off like a bat out of hell racing each other and racing the clock. That alone should tell you that it really doesn't matter how you load the trailers . They are pretty stable regardless. If the distribution of weight really matted as you say they would be multiple rollovers on a daily basis. Again take it easy get a feel for the trailer then go your merry way .
This is an old thread that I bumped up. Shop Leader hasn't posted since January 21 , 2013.

Let me see, something just don't seem right. Con-Way policy says that in the trailer, 1000 LBS a foot. They also say that you can put 3000 LBS on the racks. So, in other words they are saying that you can exceed the 1000 LBS per foot and render that policy null and void. These people have SERIOUS issues.

You should have saved this bump up for #TBT ( throw back Thursday ).

After years of working with the safe stacks now, all I can really say is that you need to use them as little as possible. Keep the weight low and in the middle of the trailer as you would anyway. And if you have some stuff that will fit on top of something, go for it. Since the purchase I have been seeing much taller freight. It's rare now that I deck an entire trailer out. And if I do, it's because I have some ridiculous piece of freight. Something that is 20 foot long and four foot tall. But even then you are looking at it like, I can just set some of this light stuff directly on it and not drop a deck yet.

The decks do have a weird way of getting in the way of freight. And with the pressure to cube them out and keep the weight up, you really have to think about when and where to use them in the trailer. That last rack probably sees the most use. Cramming in whatever little ::shit:: is lurking around.