ABF | ABF Closing 30 Terminals

Two of these are in Arkansas, Russellville & Harrison. I especially don't like the idea of closing the Harrison terminal. That is the hometown of FedEx, formerly American Freightways, formerly Arkansas Freightways & before that Garrison Motor Freight. I don't like the idea of giving over to the non union company. I know at one time the company picked up a lot of freight there & was profitable. Even if the company only broke even at this terminal I would stay around & give the customers an alternative to FedEx & be a thorn in their side. The terminal manager there is a good guy & was able to get freight away from the competition. I don't know how Little Rock or Springfield can service the accounts there.

How many of these closed terminals will have some or all of the freight for their territory handled by carting agents ?? at the loss of Teamster jobs ???

I was also under the impression by the abf propaganda during the pre vote on the contract that this would only be implemented if the contract didn't pass

How many of these closed terminals will have some or all of the freight for their territory handled by carting agents ?? at the loss of Teamster jobs ???

I was also under the impression by the abf propaganda during the pre vote on the contract that this would only be implemented if the contract didn't pass
i hope people remember this in 4 1/2 years....

:hysterical: Please, please tell me you didn't believe that line!!!

Here's the list of the remaining 22.

016 RUSSELLVILLE AR
031 TOPEKA KS
032 TERRE HAUTE IN
053 ASHEVILLE NC
148 FAIRFIELD IA
163 SANTA ROSA CA
173 BEAUMONT TX
190 ROCKY MOUNT NC
201 MONROE LA
206 HATTIESBURG MS
232 LIMA OH
242 COLUMBUS IN
250 OLEAN NY
256 WHEELING WV
284 FEDERALSBURG MD
285 COOKEVILLE TN
300 JASPER IN
318 BINGHAMTON NY
348 ZANESVILLE OH
359 HARRISON AR
399 COLUMBUS NE
469 ORLAND CA

This is just the beginning my freinds
Ya think? We're not set up to cover large territories with these short trailers so I don't see too many closures that would require longer routes.

I take two trailers with me every day
I have seen that done under certain conditions but to do that on a regular basis with all (or most) drivers does not sound viable. Not saying impossible or won't be done, just that I don't think it's something that can work across the board.

I have seen that done under certain conditions but to do that on a regular basis with all (or most) drivers does not sound viable. Not saying impossible or won't be done, just that I don't think it's something that can work across the board.

My thoughts are much like yours. I know there are expenses involved with keeping a terminal open but running long distances to deliver freight isn't cost effective. I think that having a terminal to establish a presence in any city will attract new customers & maintain existing accounts.

I watched this happen at YFS years ago. Closed a terminal 60 miles away that picked up more freight than they could move every day. After merging the senority lists and sending over 20 drivers up North each day, the company managed to **** away most of the freight. Down to 5 bids that way each day now. Funny thing ABF is still the only company with a dock in this town.

I know 3 drivers at a closing terminal that regret their yes vote! All 3 have said they wont move for the change.. # dumb yes voters gone.. About 2600 more to go!!

:hysterical: Please, please tell me you didn't believe that line!!!

ABFer I assure you it was said with complete sarcasm !!! I am a very well documented 3rd generation union man who has never or will ever believe anything that management says !!!