ABF ROAD CHANGE OF OPERATIONS

Discussion in 'ABF Freight System' started by Seamus20, Dec 28, 2017.

1. TurnCoat

TurnCoat The IBT--Looking out for YOU...and...THEM!

ArcBest....YRC.....the IBT....in bed together :grouphug:I'll pretend it ain't so, but I know it's our new reality.....they NEED each other, and I need another year and a 1/2....oh well:idunno:

LTLAnonymous and canaryinthemine like this.
  2. Elwood

Elwood Question Authority

Talk about one ugly ménage a trois!!
    No wonder I’m scarred for life.
    Seriously hope there’s no video. :17142:

3. canaryinthemine

canaryinthemine Retirement....The Job I Was Born To Have!

You just better hope they don’t breed,.........or spawn,.......or whatever procreation happens in that cesspool of putridity........

Now THAT will send shivers up your spine,........and give you a visual image you can’t remove with a salad fork........

LTLAnonymous likes this.
  4. Trucker 206

Trucker 206 Well-Known Member

That’s how it should roll. Always.

5. Trucker 206

I did a stint on the UE run several years ago. 8pm start time, and a 3-hour run to the hub to work the dock. I never arrived back at my home terminal later than 6am, which gave the inbound crew plenty of time to break the freight for the city. Well, that changed over the years and they kept ‘holding’ our UE driver later and later to work the damn dock at the hub...all of a sudden we’re not getting a good percentage of our freight until 8am (average), sometimes not until 9am! Never mind that they had dock workers up the wazoo at the hub!! They preach this efficiency crap all the time. Holding drivers late to ‘help’ on the dock isn’t efficient.

6. LTLAnonymous

LTLAnonymous Well-Known Member

You know what's efficient? Working people to death so they don't live to collect a pension. You have to think long-term.

Ugh.

canaryinthemine likes this.
  7. Trucker 206

Good one, LTL! Sadly, that’s how I feel sometimes after one of those all-too-frequent 55-hour weeks. I’ve learned (the hard way, mind you) that this is ‘No Job For Old Men’ like us.

Homesick and LTLAnonymous like this.
  8. Elwood

We are the epitome of Sisyphus; no matter how long or hard we push, the rock will still be waiting for us tomorrow.

9. Homesick

Homesick Do I really exist if you've never seen me?

I completely agree with you. The only way this job works for old men is when we take a lot of time off. And to hell with the consequences.

10. canaryinthemine

Sisyphus had it easy,.........he just had to push the rock uphill..........he didn’t have to ride it downhill with out of adjustment brakes.....

11. Elwood

Or get a letter of discipline for a ‘rollaway.’

canaryinthemine and LTLAnonymous like this.
  12. TurnCoat

We have a strict cut time on our UE run(s) We load only freight due for delivery with the exception that after getting all the due shipments available and there are shipments available in the bay and you have room for those you can load those ahead of cycle. I only unload my inbound or go into trailers that have shipments for my terminal going back. Some nights are more challenging than others, but the city had gotten pretty tough for the old man too. I'm making good money and have help if I need it, and offer a hand if I'm asked. I can hold the bid and I will probably retire on it, Lord willing. They have been watching it closely this last year at 086 and they're keeping it tighter.

13. LTLAnonymous

When the company made the decision to purchase all of their trucks without jake brakes.

14. TurnCoat

Video would be banned for all the violence and casualties :bananag:

LTLAnonymous likes this.
  15. LTLAnonymous

That may be. But nothing passes without a VOTE.

canaryinthemine likes this.
  16. TurnCoat

But...3 or 4 votes....and you can pass anything! :violin:

17. wheelman1857

wheelman1857 Active Member

no worries they will have to buy all automatics. when us old timers retire. A lot of the schools only teach with auto's and they come with the jakes on them

LTLAnonymous likes this.
  18. canaryinthemine

So,......in a couple of years,....us old fogeys will be able to answer the question “ What’s that big stick in the middle of the floor for?..........and why the extra brake pedal?”

And ........with a straight face, I will tell them “ The big stick was to hang your hat on,.........and the extra brake pedal was in case you wore out the first set of brakes.......”

19. LTLAnonymous

I like the hat rack gear shifter, but I'm DEFINITELY saying accordion pedal for the clutch.

"Oh, the songs we used to play driving down the road..."