ABF | ABF ROAD CHANGE OF OPERATIONS

I'll agree with you that ABF employees should be hauling the freight. As far as their classification goes,.......we've just seen the results of the Premium Service/ Utility Employee experiment in that the ability to cross jurisdictions indiscriminately,.. hurt the.....road classification.

And,.......there is a good chance that,...using the provisions of Art.3, sec.7,...the company was able to bleed a good bit of Union work over to Purchased Transportation......without the contractual limits of a COO to protect work for the Union employees.

I think the bulk of our complaints should be with short-sighted and lazy IBT negotiators....(....OR complicit....Either they were incompetent,..or they were complicit...A terrible thought...)....To allow ABF to "terrorize" their workforce by spreading a rumor of an impending sale to a competitor,.....WITHOUT slamming the IBT "foot" down on the negotiations brake, to get to the veracity of the rumor,......is unconscienable, in my eyes,......Even someone as notoriously spineless as Frank Fitzsimmons would've halted negotiations mid-stream to clear the air of rumors....

James Hoffa Sr.......warts and all...........would've literally kicked in the door of the negotiating room and overturned the table,....and castigated the management team soundly for allowing the slightest hint of a breath of a rumor of a sale,.....to be released the way ABF did....

...(...I'd've paid money to see that....)......
ArcBest....YRC.....the IBT....in bed together :grouphug:I'll pretend it ain't so, but I know it's our new reality.....they NEED each other, and I need another year and a 1/2....oh well:idunno:

Talk about one ugly ménage a trois!!
No wonder I’m scarred for life.
Seriously hope there’s no video. :17142:

You just better hope they don’t breed,.........or spawn,.......or whatever procreation happens in that cesspool of putridity........

Now THAT will send shivers up your spine,........and give you a visual image you can’t remove with a salad fork........

20 years back the outfit negotiating for the union companies told Hoffa JR in advance they wanted to start having the employees pay weekly towards their medical. Hoffa told them that will never come up for discussion. First day of the meetings, they brought it up. Hoffa reminded them what he told them earlier. They said it needed to be dealt with before anything else. Hoffa said Deal with this. And the entire delegation walked out. Someone from the Union side told the companies that they would return when assured that medical payments will not ever come up for discussion again. End of the second day of stalemate, the company representing all the carriers surrounded the issue & never spoke about it again.
That’s how it should roll. Always.

UE Review Board hears the UE changes. When they're approved affected UE positions get 2 weeks notice of adding, cancelling or modifying. That's probably not changing in the new contract and their are no grievances to be filed. That's the rules now. UE runs that cancel return some work to the respective hubs they service, however, most that I have seen abolished were due to the freight levels, so essentially it's not creating the efficiency. When the road can move it more efficient it goes back to the road. I think these recent changes are going to create some lay-down runs to position road drivers at end of line in some lanes, so pack you some extra underwear. If the run I'm bid on into ATL/086 was abolished it would move by 086 road, usually a day late. Just kidding, but, however, I am able to get freight due for service that the road cannot, it's just the way it works. There are no contractors on our lane.
I did a stint on the UE run several years ago. 8pm start time, and a 3-hour run to the hub to work the dock. I never arrived back at my home terminal later than 6am, which gave the inbound crew plenty of time to break the freight for the city. Well, that changed over the years and they kept ‘holding’ our UE driver later and later to work the damn dock at the hub...all of a sudden we’re not getting a good percentage of our freight until 8am (average), sometimes not until 9am! Never mind that they had dock workers up the wazoo at the hub!! They preach this efficiency crap all the time. Holding drivers late to ‘help’ on the dock isn’t efficient.

I did a stint on the UE run several years ago. 8pm start time, and a 3-hour run to the hub to work the dock. I never arrived back at my home terminal later than 6am, which gave the inbound crew plenty of time to break the freight for the city. Well, that changed over the years and they kept ‘holding’ our UE driver later and later to work the damn dock at the hub...all of a sudden we’re not getting a good percentage of our freight until 8am (average), sometimes not until 9am! Never mind that they had dock workers up the wazoo at the hub!! They preach this efficiency crap all the time. Holding drivers late to ‘help’ on the dock isn’t efficient.
You know what's efficient? Working people to death so they don't live to collect a pension. You have to think long-term.

Ugh.

We have a strict cut time on our UE run(s) We load only freight due for delivery with the exception that after getting all the due shipments available and there are shipments available in the bay and you have room for those you can load those ahead of cycle. I only unload my inbound or go into trailers that have shipments for my terminal going back. Some nights are more challenging than others, but the city had gotten pretty tough for the old man too. I'm making good money and have help if I need it, and offer a hand if I'm asked. I can hold the bid and I will probably retire on it, Lord willing. They have been watching it closely this last year at 086 and they're keeping it tighter.

no worries they will have to buy all automatics. when us old timers retire. A lot of the schools only teach with auto's and they come with the jakes on them

So,......in a couple of years,....us old fogeys will be able to answer the question “ What’s that big stick in the middle of the floor for?..........and why the extra brake pedal?”

And ........with a straight face, I will tell them “ The big stick was to hang your hat on,.........and the extra brake pedal was in case you wore out the first set of brakes.......”

So,......in a couple of years,....us old fogeys will be able to answer the question “ What’s that big stick in the middle of the floor for?..........and why the extra brake pedal?”

And ........with a straight face, I will tell them “ The big stick was to hang your hat on,.........and the extra brake pedal was in case you wore out the first set of brakes.......”
I like the hat rack gear shifter, but I'm DEFINITELY saying accordion pedal for the clutch.

"Oh, the songs we used to play driving down the road..."