XPO | Accident in Boxborough

PB_three%20cross%20hill.jpg

god rest his sole.

sounds like he gave his live to save the lives of others.

GO and all the service center need to do something for his family.

Aw man, I'm from another trucking company, but that could have been anyone of us that morning? We all have trucks running up that way. He just happened to be the one that was dispatched at that time and came upon that scene. I can only imagine what it must have been like to choose to head for the guard rail and a sure death? His family must be hurting right now.

could someone copy and paste the web address for this story? I'm having pc trouble, I get nothing but an empty page when I click a link. Thanks

the drivers name is jack and he was a great great guy ive known and worked with him for about 10 years and im crushed i saw him last on wednesday of this week and had no idea it would be the last time i wish i knew something profound to say to honor the guy but im too shocked to think of anything except maybe just rest in peace and ill be thinking about you often!!!!!!!

i spoke with him fri morning before we both left xab.He was one of the good ones,one of the reasons ive stayed with conway for 9 yrs is the people,HE will be missed.

I worked with Jack on the rare chance I would go to XAB. He would really liven the place up. We will all miss him. My prayers go out to his family and co-workers.

I've known Jack since 1995, haven't seen him in a couple years,but without a doubt is to me one of the best people I've met through this company. Guys like him make the days you don't want to be at work a lot more tolerable. I've never forgoten the many, many times he made me laugh so hard my stomach hurt...or the time he talked me into attending a party up in Maine with others from con-way....had a great time that day....those memories I will never forget....my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

first and foremost my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.this sceniorio can be all our nightmares any night of the year. all the videos and experience in the world can never prepare you for that sight of a human being in between your headlights.the safety department always says to hit the deere not to sweerve to avoid it kill it insteed of laying the set on its side. fine but what does the manual say when its a thinking ;feeling ; human being!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the only thing left is did the safty department rule preventable or non-preventable...........god bless

My deepest condolences and prayers for his family and team members. What a tragic loss for everyone.

This by all means was an unpreventable accident on his part.

Jack Albert McPhail
GRAY -- Jack Albert McPhail died Friday, March 2, 2007, in Boxboro, Mass., as a result of injuries due to a tractor-trailer accident. Jack gave his life to save the lives of others involved in a separate incident.
As the Boston Herald reported: Heroic trucker killed in crash on 495. This morning's wintry mix turned fatal today when a trucker was killed in Boxboro while valiantly trying to avoid compact cars swerving on the slush in front of his rig.
He was born Jan. 10, 1960, in Portland, the third of four children to George Davis McPhail Sr. and Shirley Ann Clark McPhail. Upon his return to Maine, at an early age, he attended Windham Schools and graduated from PRVTC in 1978. He married Linda Ann Martin McPhail of Bristol, R.I. on Dec. 23, 1978, and resided in Gray for the past 20 years.
Jack shared the passions of his youth- hunting, fishing, camping, and snowmobiling with his sons and enjoyed nothing more than having them with him on these outings. He had recently returned from a snowmobile trip with his youngest son William.
Upon moving to Gray in 1987, Jack became involved in Gray Little League, Cub Scouts Pack 86 and Boys Scout Troop 86. He was a man that children were drawn to and he loved and enjoyed other peoples as much as his own.
Jack received his CDL in January of 1991 and though it meant much time away from his family, he was a driver through and through. He took great pride in his job and had been employed by Conway Central Express since May of 1994.
Having completed over one million accident free miles on the road, they did not go unnoticed. In recent years, Jack had participated in the Maine State Truck Drivers Rodeo and in 2002 he attained 1st. place in the twins division and went on to national competition in Milwaukee.
Jack leaves behind his wife Linda Ann; his son Jack A. McPhail II of Bristol, R.I.; and his son, William B. McPhail of Gray; and one grandson, Shaun Jacob McPhail. He will also be missed by his parents, George D. and Shirley A. McPhail of Limington; his brother George D. Jr. and his wife Karen of Middlebury, Vt.; sister, Jill S. McPhail of Casco; and brother David G. McPhail and his wife Deborah of Bradford. He was Uncle Jack to Dee-Jay of Oxford, Betsy and Tracy of Middlebury, Vt., and littlest McPhails, Lindsay and Ottilie of Bradford.
A memorial service for all will be held Saturday, March 10, at 2 p.m., at the Congregational Church, 11 Yarmouth Road in Gray. Arrangements are under the direction of Wilson Funeral Home, 24 Shaker Road, Gray.
In lieu of flowers the family request that all donations be made to:
Mercy Hospital at Foreriver
Jack McPhail
144 State Street
Portland, Maine 04101
Jack Albert McPhail