Yellow | America’s trucker shortage could undermine economy

It all comes down to , Show me the Money and this applies to all jobs & companies , everybody is hiring but nobody wants to raise wages , bump starting pay up to $35.00 start pay for Driver's and $25.00 for dock & factory workers and people will apply and don't say they don't have the money because they have all kinds of money for Bonuses and this again is for all industries , trucking ,auto ,factory & etc ones .................

I started in a straight truck in 1988 and in 1995 started with trailers even though I had a semi licence the old Illinois class D the company let me go in the trailer yard in the evenings and mess around to get practice I can imagine the senior drivers in that drop lot must have been saying look at this guy shure seems like it would be overwhelming to had never driven a truck before and after two weeks of schooling be out on the streets running a big rig

I started in a straight truck in 1973. Then the company bought an old Ford Louisville and a pup trailer.
Off I went without any training at all. Everywhere I went people were waving their arms and yelling no, NO!
I got better over time, and even figured out what the red button on the gearshift was for.

It's a huge problem driver wages simply haven't kept pace with the rest of the economy. Why put up with the hours,government regulations, ill treatment by customers and employers to make $25k a year more than virtually any factory worker?

I started in a straight truck in 1973. Then the company bought an old Ford Louisville and a pup trailer.
Off I went without any training at all. Everywhere I went people were waving their arms and yelling no, NO!
I got better over time, and even figured out what the red button on the gearshift was for.

I was 15 yrs old, bobtailing an Autocar from my dad's shop to Roadways terminal, a city cop stopped me,
put me in the front seat and drove me about 2 miles back to dad's shop.
He told my dad, " if I catch this boy driving again, he's not going to jail, you are"

Everything people in the USA use or eat at some point comes by truck , so IF companies don't want to RAISE DRIVER WAGES , let America stave & die , just so they can keep getting there Bonuses & free stock shares , screw the people of America:cuss:

Wong, I'm beginning to think you need something much stronger than Snickers.
Wages Wages Wages if you want to HIRE , think about it Uncle T. , even in your town of Mayberry , they can only hire one mechanic at the gas station and only can hire one Deputy , everybody goes over to Mount Pilot for higher WAGES :greedy dollars:

Well,, think back 40 years or so ( o come on now, its just back to the 70's). A truck driver was more than likely the highest wage earner in any middle class neighborhood. More than likely drove a cab-over, no a/c, or ps,spring susp. and just an am radio. Jump ahead to today and look what's being driven? But now there is a plethera of occupations that pay better for that middle class wage earner. Think about it, draw your own conclusions.

Wages Wages Wages if you want to HIRE , think about it Uncle T. , even in your town of Mayberry , they can only hire one mechanic at the gas station and only can hire one Deputy , everybody goes over to Mount Pilot for higher WAGES :greedy dollars:
Wrong!......turn the trucks down to say 61or 62 and just have the drivers work seven days a week and holidays.....haven't you been paying attention?

Well,, think back 40 years or so ( o come on now, its just back to the 70's). A truck driver was more than likely the highest wage earner in any middle class neighborhood. More than likely drove a cab-over, no a/c, or ps,spring susp. and just an am radio. Jump ahead to today and look what's being driven? But now there is a plethera of occupations that pay better for that middle class wage earner. Think about it, draw your own conclusions.

Been there, done that!

You got an AM?

:17:

You got an AM?

:17:
Most guys built themselves radio boxes. Some guys, depending on what company they work for, still do.

So I hear, ABF hasn't figured out how to order anything but a filler panel. What makes this phenomenally stupid is that not ordering a radio is just not ordering a head unit. Speakers and wiring are all standard equipment these days.