Central Transport | Analyst Says New Vitran Chief Could Lead Recovery

R-14Driver

TB Legend
Credits
Canadian-based less-than-truckload carrier Vitran may be headed back toward profitability after naming a new president for its ailing U.S. operations.

Vitran hired Chris Keylon, a former FedEx Freight executive, as president of Vitran Express U.S. in January, hoping to turn around a division that stumbled in 2011. Transportation analyst David G. Ross of Stifel Nicolaus said Keylon has a chance to turn the operation around as the LTL market gains strength in 2012.

“We believe that Vitran hired an individual with the right experience for the job, although it may take a couple quarters to see it in the results,” he told investors..............

Analyst Says New Vitran Chief Could Lead Recovery | Journal of Commerce

hard to believe they cant make money when you are one of the lowest paying companies out here. we basically pay for our own healthcare , no retirement 401k match,and no raises for 4 years.plus the maintainance on the equipment. now we are getting our hours cut and days off.

Well, look at FE compared to us, and I am talking just LTL, not package or others. They consistently made money, rolled over equipment, gone to mostly air ride trailers for cargo protection, in my area do a lot of work we don't have. IMHO part of our problem is we are doing the same as others, there is nothing special to set us apart from the rest (in a good way that is) Since new boss I have seen a LARGE reduction in damaged freight, drivers and dock workers are paying better attention, and that has been a long time coming.

Still alot of freight claims in the deep south yall. Thanks in no small way to the fact that Nas and Memphis apparently have dockworkers who do not have any fathom of what the words "Do Not Double Stack" mean! Fragile, handle with care. This side up. Furniture. Flourescent bulbs. They especially like the 8' bulbs. Atlanta dockworkers are no better!!! Neither of the three break-bulks that I have mentioned have in their possession a most necessary and valuable tool used on a daily basis throughout the freight industry. This simple hand operated tool is called a "push-broom". I truly believe that no one at either of those terminals have even the slightest idea of what a push-broom looks like! (Let alone know how to use one) If they DO have brooms and they DO know how to use them, well I feel so compelled to ask why on earth, day after day, trailer after trailer, these breakbulks CONTINUE to load outbound trailers that are full of filfth, debris, dirt, and trash??? I'm sorry! TIME! Did I hear you say that they dont give you the TIME to sweep out a trailer before you load it? I'm sorry. I'm not buying that sorry excuse! If you load a trailer before sweeping it out, that is just SORRY!!!

Same problem here, plus they will not secure P&D freight anymore, so if you have something in the front that can slide, and behind it stacked to ceiling, best of luck, by the time you figure it out, it will be to late

Still alot of freight claims in the deep south yall. Thanks in no small way to the fact that Nas and Memphis apparently have dockworkers who do not have any fathom of what the words "Do Not Double Stack" mean! Fragile, handle with care. This side up. Furniture. Flourescent bulbs. They especially like the 8' bulbs. Atlanta dockworkers are no better!!! Neither of the three break-bulks that I have mentioned have in their possession a most necessary and valuable tool used on a daily basis throughout the freight industry. This simple hand operated tool is called a "push-broom". I truly believe that no one at either of those terminals have even the slightest idea of what a push-broom looks like! (Let alone know how to use one) If they DO have brooms and they DO know how to use them, well I feel so compelled to ask why on earth, day after day, trailer after trailer, these breakbulks CONTINUE to load outbound trailers that are full of filfth, debris, dirt, and trash??? I'm sorry! TIME! Did I hear you say that they dont give you the TIME to sweep out a trailer before you load it? I'm sorry. I'm not buying that sorry excuse! If you load a trailer before sweeping it out, that is just SORRY!!!
I know the "push-broom" I've seen our dock workers use is put the pallet on the floor at the tail and push everything forward to the nose.

didn't know they made a broom without bristles till i started here too.... after a while 22 skids don't fit in a 53 footer

at my terminal damaged freight has more than doubled

diud he get fired from fed ex?
Canadian-based less-than-truckload carrier Vitran may be headed back toward profitability after naming a new president for its ailing U.S. operations.

Vitran hired Chris Keylon, a former FedEx Freight executive, as president of Vitran Express U.S. in January, hoping to turn around a division that stumbled in 2011. Transportation analyst David G. Ross of Stifel Nicolaus said Keylon has a chance to turn the operation around as the LTL market gains strength in 2012.

“We believe that Vitran hired an individual with the right experience for the job, although it may take a couple quarters to see it in the results,” he told investors..............

and if he turns it around and stock prices climb up all the corp guys are going to ca$h in their chips and grab the golden parachute. our former president has a ton of stock and don't forget the hamils are the largest single share holder of the company.

But, is is happening at YOUR terminal? I know when we get things from Chicago or Cleveland there are going to be problems. Supervisors need to back track and find who is responsible, but, the supervisor at my terminal can do nothing about your dock worker, so we need a corporate go to guy who has such multi terminal power

OK David...a couple of quarters.....if you say so.

he didn't say how many years before the couple of quarters, hopefully by the second quarter of 2013 we will notice a major change. If not might be time to start polishing up the resume.
Thats true!!!!! He didn't say what year....Good one fudge.

Hey R-14Driver,

Did you notice the article you posted was put out just over a year ago, obviously not! CK has had a horrible 1st year at Vitran. He can take credit for being the only LTL carrier in the top 20 in revenue that has not posted profits and better financials than a year ago. And after his first year he posts a loss of almost 40 million for the year. Good grief, you must have posted this to rub it in his face.