SAIA | annual dot inspection sticker?

Virginia Tech

TB Lurker
Credits
Does anyone know why Saia doesn't put the stickers on our equipment? I was written up at a scale house for not having a inspection sticker on the truck. The officer doing the inspection said the piece of paper in the permit book with the date of the last inspection wasn't good enough.

Its been okay in Texas and Louisiana where I been DOT in Saia Truck?

the piece of paper in the permit book with the date of the last inspection

DOT inspection stickers are required by law to be displayed on the equipment which was inspected, but this rule is not enforced in every state.

This is the 1st time in I've ever had an issue with it. Just curious as to why Saia doesn't use the stickers.

Have they improved on their inspections? I'm not trying to start a fire here, but during my tenure there was a lot of equipment being run that was not current on inspections. Therefore: no inspection, no sticker. Just a thought.

Does anyone know why Saia doesn't put the stickers on our equipment? I was written up at a scale house for not having a inspection sticker on the truck. The officer doing the inspection said the piece of paper in the permit book with the date of the last inspection wasn't good enough.[/QUOTE
396.17 states paperwork is all that is required. Unless I misunderstand, sticker is used in lieu of actual inspection form. Lot of trailers and converters I see just have a big white sticker with a marker written date. Good luck.

Sorry VT. Click to expand to read my thoughts. 2900 miles this week. Not bitchin, but dragging. Thx
Damn, somebody is banking. 2900=$1740 gross... Anyway VT I would think that any write up would be dismissed and not be held against you. Was it just a warning? Here in Texas it wouldn't count against your CSA score.

Damn, somebody is banking. 2900=$1740 gross... Anyway VT I would think that any write up would be dismissed and not be held against you. Was it just a warning? Here in Texas it wouldn't count against your CSA score.

It was wrote up on a

It was a violation listed on a inspection. my safety guy said it's 8 points so 24 points since it's X 3 the first year.

And I ended up with 3454 miles last week and 16 hours on the clock. It would of been my best week since I've been at Saia if it wasn't for the stupid inspection I got.

C'mon Train! This week's 70 ain't this week's paycheck. If we worked at a different forum, this is where the bitchin is s'posed to start. Hahaha. Have great w'end!

It was wrote up on a

It was a violation listed on a inspection. my safety guy said it's 8 points so 24 points since it's X 3 the first year.

And I ended up with 3454 miles last week and 16 hours on the clock. It would of been my best week since I've been at Saia if it wasn't for the stupid inspection I got.
I would double check with DOT before you do anything. Sticker provides info as to where inspection located. Unless your state law varies. But shouldn't matter as we're apportioned. But now I'm just supposing.

It was wrote up on a

I must admit that would have even pissed me off a bit. Yes, and us city guys know where the money is. But at least for me these days it's more than about money. It hasn't alway been. But I've paid my dues and remain debt free so that me and the ole lady can ride off into the sunset with our newly purchased travel trailer (paid cash) and substantial IRA. Just 2 years and I can call it a day. Dave Ramsey taught us well. I did linehaul for years at my former employer and that has enabled me to be set in my retirement years. You appear to be on the right track. Congratulations !!!

Last edited:
C'mon Train! This week's 70 ain't this week's paycheck. If we worked at a different forum, this is where the bitchin is s'posed to start. Hahaha. Have great w'end!
Just messing with you White. You know that. I baited you. But knew you wouldn't take it. We have it made here. Have a good one yourself.

I have to ask.

What does the points count against? And why x3?

They are CSA points. And they stay on the company's safety record for 3 years. The 1st year they are x3...the 2nd year x2...and the third year it's x1.

The points don't go against your drivers license but company's keep track of how many points a driver racks up.

In my opinion the CSA system is Bull :shhit:!!

In the 6 or so years the DOT have had this score system I received 0 points and than in 1 inspection I received 54 points. So in some managers eyes I must be a bad driver and not doing my job correctly.

For the record I didn't get a ticket or placed OOS for anything.

But had the following violations.

1... no annual inspection STICKER on. the tractor.
2...A trailer tire that was cupping on the edge. And the officer felt it was
Below 2/32 in 1 spot.
3...He said the factory bracket on the. international to keep the brake lines From chaffing wasn't adequate.
4...1 of the 3 dot lights on a trailer not Not working.

I didn't even know about the light until I got back to the terminal. It was on the 2nd page of the inspection report and the officer never said anything about it to me. The light was a regular filament light between 2 LED lights. With the sun shining it was hard to see but was working.

And the tire was just like alot of the tires on our trailers. A used steer tire that was taken off and placed on the trailer because it was cupping. I honestly don't believe it was any where near 2/32

This was the 1st negative encounter with a DOT cop in 16 years of driving. But I did learn something...Make sure you read the entire inspection report before leaving the scale.

Of the 4 points you indicate, 3 of the 4 should have been noted on the Pretrip. You can ask to see the tire depth gauge at the scale so you know where the justification for 2/32 came from. I actually carry one with me, and you can refuse to pull if it isn't legal. Inspection stickers must be on all equipment. Someday Saia will realize that, but not today. The light is an obvious infraction. For the bracket, that's a little extreme, but whatever.

I don't understand the comment about putting a used steer tire on a trailer. Steer tires must have, if I remember right, 4/32 tread depth. To put that tire on a trailer with only 2/32 depth left in its legal life is dangerous and dumb.

§ 396.17: Periodic inspection.

(a) Every commercial motor vehicle must be inspected as required by this section. The inspection must include, at a minimum, the parts and accessories set forth in appendix G of this subchapter. The term commercial motor vehicleincludes each vehicle in a combination vehicle. For example, for a tractor semitrailer, full trailer combination, the tractor, semitrailer, and the full trailer (including the converter dolly if so equipped) must each be inspected.

(b) Except as provided in § 396.23 and this paragraph, motor carriers must inspect or cause to be inspected all motor vehicles subject to their control. Intermodal equipment providers must inspect or cause to be inspected intermodal equipment that is interchanged or intended for interchange to motor carriers in intermodal transportation.

(c) A motor carrier must not use a commercial motor vehicle, and an intermodal equipment provider must not tender equipment to a motor carrier for interchange, unless each component identified in appendix G of this subchapter has passed an inspection in accordance with the terms of this section at least once during the preceding 12 months and documentation of such inspection is on the vehicle. The documentation may be:

(1) The inspection report prepared in accordance with § 396.21(a), or

(2) Other forms of documentation, based on the inspection report (e.g., sticker or decal), which contains the following information:

From fmcsa.gov. Note #1 supersedes #2. At least I think I know what it says. And I've had other companies place both steer and drive used tires on trailers.

My point is: IF a steer tire isn't legal anymore due to wear ( say it is at 4/32) then it doesn't make a ton of sense to waste the time to throw it on a trailer when it only has 2/32 of legal life left in it. Just get rid of it or have it recapped then put it on the trailer.

I believe they swap "long before" legal limits. I just got new drives and it could have waited til winter. And I am not excusing or defending actual violations. I am defending Saia having the actual inspection with the vehicle not in an office somewhere.