SAIA | annual dot inspection sticker?

I'm wondering, in the age of "going green" if eventually all of the pertinent documents (inspection, registration, permits, etc...) will some day be available at the scale in electronic form. Like if you were missing a document, could you have a tool/option on the e-log to "fetch" documents from a Saia database? That way the guy at the scale can take a look at that, make note of it, and send you on your way. I don't see why it couldn't work.

I might be wrong but I think as long as you have a copy of the long form for the DOT inspection on the equipment than you don't have to have the sticker. But the sticker makes it easier for the officer. But as long as you can provide proof that the equipment has been inspected than you should not have a problem. But I will check with my shop guy's to make sure about having the sticker.

I might be wrong but I think as long as you have a copy of the long form for the DOT inspection on the equipment than you don't have to have the sticker. But the sticker makes it easier for the officer. But as long as you can provide proof that the equipment has been inspected than you should not have a problem. But I will check with my shop guy's to make sure about having the sticker.
That's what I always thought but it appears not to be the case. I'm heading to safety and the shop for some clarification today. I most certainly don't want what's happened to my fellow co-worker to happen to me or anyone else. And I'm sure SAIA doesn't want it to happen either if they would like to be #1 in the CSA score. And what LTL company wouldn't want that accolade? I know for a fact this companies goal is to be #1.

I think you are correct if they would put a copy of the long form in the truck...you wouldn't need a sticker. And maybe some where in the DOT book it says a piece of paper with some stuff written on it us ok. But wouldn't it be easier to just put a sticker ON or IN the truck like every other trucking company does.

I really do think Saia is a great company to work for. It's the finger pointing that management does when something happens that sucks. If I thought the tire was not legal I wouldn't of pulled the trailer. As far as everything else I was written up for I don't feel i could of done anything to change the outcome.

And by the way 4 days after the inspection the trailer was still being used and as far as my TM could tell the tire never did get changed...or the light (because it isn't out)...or an inspection STICKER on the truck (company says we don't need it)...AND nothing has been done to the strap for the air lines (because every international we have is built the exact same way)

When I was in the military I had a 1st sergeant tell me "I don't care what decision you make as long as it is the rite one" And I really do try to make the rite decisions because I really don't like having to explain myself to anyone.

Just not sure how I could of changed the results of that inspection.

I think you are correct if they would put a copy of the long form in the truck...you wouldn't need a sticker. And maybe some where in the DOT book it says a piece of paper with some stuff written on it us ok. But wouldn't it be easier to just put a sticker ON or IN the truck like every other trucking company does.

I really do think Saia is a great company to work for. It's the finger pointing that management does when something happens that sucks. If I thought the tire was not legal I wouldn't of pulled the trailer. As far as everything else I was written up for I don't feel i could of done anything to change the outcome.

And by the way 4 days after the inspection the trailer was still being used and as far as my TM could tell the tire never did get changed...or the light (because it isn't out)...or an inspection STICKER on the truck (company says we don't need it)...AND nothing has been done to the strap for the air lines (because every international we have is built the exact same way)

When I was in the military I had a 1st sergeant tell me "I don't care what decision you make as long as it is the rite one" And I really do try to make the rite decisions because I really don't like having to explain myself to anyone.

You couldn't have changed it. Some troopers are just jerks.

My apologies. I thought you had hard copy in permit book per your original post which would cover the absence of sticker. I hope we can attribute these unfortunate incidents to growing pains.
Yes, but it's a damn shame it had to come at the expense of one of our best drivers. A Damn Shame. Many troopers and should I say most troopers would have looked the other way knowing that SAIA being in 3rd place in their CSA score is no accident. You always have one in every crowd and unfortunately VT meet him that night.

My apologies. I thought you had hard copy in permit book per your original post which would cover the absence of sticker. I hope we can attribute these unfortunate incidents to growing pains.

There is a 2in square piece of paper in the permit book that says where the inspection was done and the date it was done. Also says something about hardcopy stored at Saia in LA Vergne Tn.

Just my 2 cents on this,I think the officer was having a bad day and couldn't find much wrong with all the trucks he looked at on this day so your day got turned upside down from this. In my neck of the woods everything I have ever driven had a sticker on the tractor and a copy of the inspection in the permit book, this may be different in your area,the trailers had a sticker on it also and the one company i worked at the trucks/trailers were married so that inspection sheet was also in the permit book. The ones where I did drops/hooks always had a sticker on the nose with date of inspection and terminal that it was done at.The light being out (which you said wasn't) probably was hard to see in daylight I assume it was in the cluster at the top of the trl.. The tire couldn't have been as worn as he said or you would have been put oos,The bracket my company has fought them on this for ages if it passes when the truck was built and had no modifactions done to it it should have been recalled to correct. In ending at least you weren't put oos and had to be repaired on the road saving the company money. The company can think what ever they want about me BUT if I get from point a to b and back again without any problems I did my job to the best of my ability. "nuff said have a safe weekend sit back and relax and don't let this get to ya.

I would advise you to take a look at your personal CSA score, and use it plus the evidence you have provided here and present it to the safety department. Start at your regional rep. and work up from there. Try to get some solid answers, and get them in writing. That way this incident (hopefully) won't be used against you down the road. Remember that the CSA score follows YOU, not just the company. Good luck.

I would advise you to take a look at your personal CSA score, and use it plus the evidence you have provided here and present it to the safety department. Start at your regional rep. and work up from there. Try to get some solid answers, and get them in writing. That way this incident (hopefully) won't be used against you down the road. Remember that the CSA score follows YOU, not just the company. Good luck.
That's why I advise everyone to take their time and do a proper pretrip. Let me say that I speak mostly for city drivers because at times they are under the gun to get off 15-20 deliveries when they clock on for an early route. They don't want to have to stop by the shop and sometimes will look the other way when it comes to lights and other small things. Let me say the company doesn't encourage that sort of behavior but certain drivers always have something to prove. They must be fast and they must get the good numbers. I understand numbers but I just don't care about numbers. I care about safety and it will always remain #1 with me. Numbers shall remain the responsibility of the TM and dispatch. It's not my problem. I could so go into this subject because I understand the relationship between the TM and dispatch. Dispatch can make or break a TM so out of respect to my center and others I won't go there. I drive a truck and I'm paid to do so in a safe manner. I shall continue to do my job and not concern myself with other issues. Cover your ass and protect your driving record because with that intact you will never have to worry about finding a job with the driver shortage we have today.

Mine is there on the drivers side window but all the writing is faded away on it lol

There was an old Ryder inspection sticker on my truck. You could read everything on it except the date.

I'm still not sure why the shops were told not to put stickers on the truck and to put the inspection info in the permit book.

I'll just continue to do my job the best I can and keep cashing the pay checks.

18 months ago I came on this forum and asked about doing linehaul at Saia. I was told you can make a pile of money but management sucks. Now I'm using that line when I'm asked about working for Saia. Still the best job I have ever had though.

18 months ago I came on this forum and asked about doing linehaul at Saia. I was told you can make a pile of money but management sucks. Now I'm using that line when I'm asked about working for Saia. Still the best job I have ever had though.

Definitely the easiest and best paying job I've ever had, once I transferred from city to linehaul. The city operation at this company is a cluster**** and the management is pretty much non-existent unless you work out of a huge terminal.