XPO | application

gary30mazak

TB Lurker
Credits
i filled out a online application to conway about two weeks ago for a driver apprentice position in charlotte but i still havent heard back from them. does it usually take a long time for them to get back to you or is it usually a quick process? thanks

Gary, I know from my experience, once I handed my application in it took about a month to punch the clock. Actual mileage may vary from terminal to terminal, but I wouldn't classify it as a "quick" process.

i forgot to mention that i didnt go to a terminal to fill out the application just filled out what was on the conway website. i imagine it goes to corporate. just wondering how long it might take to get a reply wether good or bad.

i can't say for sure reguarding the website application. I went in personally and filled one out. but like brutus said, call the NCH terminal first thing monday morning. that is probobly your best best right now.

Gary,
I did the online application also and was never called back.
I walked in the door and filled out the detailed application and was hired in a hearbeat. (No pun intended. I have qualifications)
You should go there and apply in person. The online applications are so generic. I'm guessing thats why I didn't get called.

Demize, yes I agree. Birds of the same feather will always flock together. As we go forth, the board will start to fill up again.

Well personally I have been trying to get into the apprentice program here since January.

It takes a while.

People that ended up getting hired in Feburary for the program applied for it back in November.

Might not be the same situation at your terminal, but here there is a huge wait. :(

I'm probably going to have to go with another LTL company and move to conway later when I get CDL.

Waiting since Novemebr to get the hired in February? Thats a long time to wait.
Your terminal must not have that much turnover and run the program from time to time.
I thought at anytime if the terminal has an apprentice program and you had a fairly clean driving record etc. You would be a shoe in for the program.
futuretrucker1234, have you followed up with your terminal?

In fact has anyone followed up on their applications? I had to and it made the difference in me getting hired right away or keeping silent and waiting forever.

Dockworker said:
futuretrucker1234, have you followed up with your terminal?

Yep I have been keeping on it at least once a month now.

At first it was everyday, then once a week, then every other week, kinda slacked off a bit.

Probably doesn't help that they switched out terminal managers the day I applied.

This last week I called and they told me to call back this week after some meeting they are having to change the hiring plans for this year. So not sure if that is good or bad news but I'll know Wednesday or Thursday.

futuretrucker1234 said:
Yep I have been keeping on it at least once a month now.

At first it was everyday, then once a week, then every other week, kinda slacked off a bit.

Probably doesn't help that they switched out terminal managers the day I applied.

This last week I called and they told me to call back this week after some meeting they are having to change the hiring plans for this year. So not sure if that is good or bad news but I'll know Wednesday or Thursday.

You never know.. I have seen several new hires (with CDL's) coming from Indy recently.. I guess they are waiting to decide on the Apprenticeship program....

I just checked the con-way website under careers. There doesn't seem to be any apprentice openings in Indiana.
Thats probably why it's taking so long. Than again, I'm not sure how up to date the Career section is.

Gary ,

If you go there , they will hire ... We need good quality qualified help ... It's got a few bug's here but overall it's a place to call home... I don't think you'll be disapointed ... all things considered .. 10-4

Futuretrucker1234--Each minute that you live, you are dieing. Make your mind up what you want, and be persistent. When I put in my application , they told me that they would call. Instead of waiting for them to call, I called them after a week. First once a day for a week, then twice a day for a week. Needless to say, they knew my voice after they heard me speak my first word. As I said, make up your mind and go for it.

I am currently comparing companies to decide where to go.

What can a Company Driver expect to make in the first year?

Also what rate do they start new drivers at CPM?

I do not quite understand the hourly pay, is this an alternative for the CPM?

I would be interested in their training, what do they pay for the dock work while schooling?

I am from Michigan, is this close enough to their OC at Indiana to qualify as a driver?

Home every night usually?

Annual income after 2 or 3 years?

Hopefully someone can fill some of these blanks in.

Mileater I just started a couple weeks ago but I'll tell you what I've learned. Start at 17.80 per hour and .399 cpm. It goes up every year topping out at 22.50 and .53 cpm after five years, not counting annual cost of living raises. When your doing local pickup and delivery (generally days) or dockwork (anytime) you get hourly. When you do linehaul (generally nites) you get mileage. Manpower and workload vary at each terminal but expect to be on call for a year. You should get full time during the summer/fall but it could get rough in winter/spring. After a year you should be good. Guys who run hard on linehaul can make up to 80k at top pay. Guys who just want their 40-45 hrs in the city probably around 50k. Plus everyone goes home after their shift. No overnites, no weekends, no holidays. Paid medical, vacation, sick days, and pension. So far I'm lovin it. I should have done this 15 years ago!