FedEx Freight | Are we merging or not?

formerEdriver :clapping:

They must be hedging their bets in case the HOS rules get rolled back to the stone age.
They may feel that it is cheaper to put trailers on the train than to go buy sleeper trucks to burn diesel fuel at $6.00 per gallon.

:wavey:

That is what i thought as well,and the rumers of the price of crude going to double in 2011! YIKES:ranting2:

westdriver :clapping:

So, if we get 0.60 cpm and some other driver will do the same work for 0.37 cpm and cheaper or no health care benefits, who would you keep to move your freight????

Just because the driver makes .37 a mile doesn't mean that's all FedEx is paying for that driver to move the freight.

1. They must pay the company for the use of the truck, driver, operating authority, and assumed liability, just to name a few.

2. They have limited control over who the driver is, most of it is after the fact.

Power only isn't anything new. FedEx will grow to regret the decision to use power only, give it time.

Just because the driver makes .37 a mile doesn't mean that's all FedEx is paying for that driver to move the freight.

1. They must pay the company for the use of the truck, driver, operating authority, and assumed liability, just to name a few.

2. They have limited control over who the driver is, most of it is after the fact.

Power only isn't anything new. FedEx will grow to regret the decision to use power only, give it time.

Guardrail :clapping:

Again, I think you are correct.
Viking never used owner operators because they wanted to have complete control of when the trailers get moved.
But, except for having to deal with new lawsuits every other week, the contractor business model seems to work for the FedEx Ground division.
I just can't see how these contractors can stay in business for $1.20 a mile.
And most of these guys run a 3 axle truck to boot.

Guardrail :clapping:

You are exactly correct.
Last year this contractor only had 4 trucks
leased to National LTL.
This year he has a total of 11 trucks pulling triples.
And as much as a third or less of the trailers are FREIGHT
trailers.
Of course, we don't know if they are just "borrowing" our trailers or actually hauling our freight.

:clappy: :bananapartyhat::stirthepot:

Trust me brother, we are using your trailers. I see them loaded and unloaded with our freight everyday..

If HOS rules drop us back to just 10 hrs driving the relay yards like Sidney, Holbrook, Shamrock, can be moved east or west 50 or 100 miles as needed. They are not permanent yards so the relays can still work and no sleeper trucks have to be bought.

You are correct with the policy that you are talking about,but there is also a policy that states you cannot follow freight anymore. Fed Ex will not pay for the moving of displaced drivers anymore. Drivers that decide to move on their own will be paying for the move out of their pocket. If they decide to move back, they will have 365 days to move back. Once the 365 days have pasted, they will no longer have that option. There will be no more job repositioning within your job-class. Basically if your terminal loses runs you cant dovetail to the terminal that gets them. I read the policy again and asked the terminal manager also.

You are correct with the policy that you are talking about,but there is also a policy that states you cannot follow freight anymore. Fed Ex will not pay for the moving of displaced drivers anymore. Drivers that decide to move on their own will be paying for the move out of their pocket. If they decide to move back, they will have 365 days to move back. Once the 365 days have pasted, they will no longer have that option. There will be no more job repositioning within your job-class. Basically if your terminal loses runs you cant dovetail to the terminal that gets them. I read the policy again and asked the terminal manager also.
I have heard this to.Very scary to a lot of us that are close to national yards.

THURSDAY, Sept. 16

WASHINGTON -- Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner testifies before the House Ways and Means Committee on China's exchange rate policy; Labor Department releases weekly jobless claims, 8:30 a.m.; Labor Department releases the Producer Price Index for August, 8:30 a.m.; Commerce Department releases current account trade deficit for second quarter, 8:30 a.m.; Treasury releases international money flows data for July, 9 a.m.; Freddie Mac, the mortgage company, releases weekly mortgage rates.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- FedEx Corp. releases financial results
This is the only announcement coming.

I don't think it was moved here, there are multiple threads on the subject.... I didn't move it and it would take smokestack a week to figure out how to:LMAO:

I don't think it was moved here, there are multiple threads on the subject.... I didn't move it and it would take smokestack a week to figure out how to:LMAO:

Yep that's my Buddie throwing me under the bus again.
Best friends.....

I'm sorry guys, a lot of times I don't look at all the treads on each site, I work for FXNL and that's where I put stuff for the most part.

I think River17 is referring to the contract drivers, not the company ones.

My bad, river17 didn't put contract driver in his post so I didn't realize that's what he was talking about. Gotta work on my mind reading skills some more....
And on top of that Smoke and Jeff have got me confused about which forum I'm in...:confused::biglaugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
formerEdriver :clapping:

They must be hedging their bets in case the HOS rules get rolled back to the stone age.
They may feel that it is cheaper to put trailers on the train than to go buy sleeper trucks to burn diesel fuel at $6.00 per gallon.

Where is diesel at 6 bucks a gallon? France?