ABF | Arkansas Best Loses $13.4 Million In First Quarter!

Well, contrary to some of you jealous non-union trolls, the votes do get counted. The pension is going to get paid, we are not going to be on the same time line with YRC going forward. YRC is going to be required to go back to full pension rates in 2015. There is going to be some changes in pension law, that may cause some cuts across the board to make the funds solvent again, but nothing like the cuts that would happen in an insolvency situation that required government funding. So far in these negotiations, the only quote, unquote threat, I've heard from the company is, some terminals may close, if they did not get some relief. I don't think that was a threat. If our market share does not grow, capacity will have to reduce. I've been a Teamster for 27 yrs. and made a good living, and haven't spent everything I've made, so I'm in a position that I can give some relief and really not miss it too much, and I will never be broke enough to work at Con-Job, Fred-Ex, Old Domination, etc...though any of those would quickly hire me, most of you ding dongs on here that trash ABF wouldn't even get a second glance once they pulled your background. When I get my ballot, I'll vote my conscience, If it doesn't pass, I'll vote again, maybe on something better, who knows, but there won't be a meeting in the break room, where the manager comes in, and says, "Boys and Girls, we're gonna cut this and that, and if you don't like it, there's the door, and if we see ya'll ganged up whining about it we"re going to FIRE you!" And everybody in the breakroom smiles, and says YES, SIR...we understand. Ya'll have a wonderful non-union day. Proud to be an ABF TEAMSTER....Von Kirkus 239/MGM Montgomery, AL in case you were wondering where I kept my pair!
Now that's what I want to hear and less, "yes sir you need relief so I'll give it to you". What they don't seem to understand is that things have stabilized where they are because ABF can't limbo any lower right now. If we give them that ability it is exactly what will happen and the limbo game goes on. So for anyone who doesn't think we're holding the bar right now just watch what happens if ABF lowers it for another round.

And you can say you heard it here first.

Now that's what I want to hear and less, "yes sir you need relief so I'll give it to you". What they don't seem to understand is that things have stabilized where they are because ABF can't limbo any lower right now. If we give them that ability it is exactly what will happen and the limbo game goes on. So for anyone who doesn't think we're holding the bar right now just watch what happens if ABF lowers it for another round.

And you can say you heard it here first.

Well, ABFer, the points that I made, that are already out in the open, on the pension, length of contract, what I assume is YRC will absolutely be required to go back to full pension payments in 2015, all sounds good to me. Will I trade concessions on pay, and health insurance for stock options? Yes, I will. Regardless, will we still set the standard for the industry....ABSOLUTELY...and that pair I was talking about, was my spare boots! Other pair's worn out! :cool:

why does everyone think abf is where the bar is held. nobody is lowering pay and benefits in the industry that has a healthy ledger sheet. read the other threads. only yrc, new century, vitran are struggling. if your pay goes down 10% that s not the bar goes down to. everyone wants to keep good drivers and money is what will do that. unfortunate for abf, concessions are needed to stay afloat. remember a strike will kill your future and yrc is the only other game in town.
You make my points for me ....Brother Ex Driver......or I assume you're a "Brother". The so-called bar that ABF holds is the same bar that 25 companies held 10 years ago, and 2300 companies held 20 years ago. Deregulation was designed to rid the trucking industry of any sort of wage bar. It's done a good job, hasn't it? So.....ABF is actually left "holding" the bar....as all the non-Unions try to undercut a wage standard. Yes, most trucking companies are making a profit....and yes,...most trucking companies are having a hard time filling seats. ABF "says" they need wage and benefit cuts......maybe they do, right now.....but in 6 months? It might be an altogether different story, with ABF returning to profitability.....WITH or WITHOUT pay and benefit cuts. The only difference is how much profitability........and therein lies the "sticking point" for ABF management. If all other trucking companies are making money, then it's just a matter of time before ABF makes money, too.....unless they're so badly mis-managed, that the people on the top are trying to grab as much as they can before ABF goes bankrupt. When there is no "bar" for wages......and the only "bar" in the LTL industry, traditionally,...has been the NMFA, then irregardless of how profitable a company is, it would behoove them to constantly undercut wages and benefits........that would be pure profit going right into the companies' coffers. It would all depend on how much they could terrorize their employees into giving up. A "benchmark" wage....or a "bar" as you so euphemistically phrase it,...is an indication....to NON-UNION drivers if they're getting paid what the MARKET FOR DRIVERS will bear,.....not what the company can scare them into That is why it's so important for ABF,....the last remaining carrier in the NMFA....to negotiate for the best wages, benefits and protection in the industry. Don't you believe in letting those capitalist, free-market forces work in the trucking industry? Your skills and licenses are a commodity,....price them as such.

Well, ABFer, the points that I made, that are already out in the open, on the pension, length of contract, what I assume is YRC will absolutely be required to go back to full pension payments in 2015, all sounds good to me. Will I trade concessions on pay, and health insurance for stock options? Yes, I will. Regardless, will we still set the standard for the industry....ABSOLUTELY...and that pair I was talking about, was my spare boots! Other pair's worn out! :cool:
I'll loan you my pair, Brother Turncoat. I'm old and have no use for them......wait a second....are we talking about workboots?