Yellow | Baltimore Bridge Collapse .....

That is surprising. I'm not a merchant mariner, nor do I profess to be so my information is all (at least) second-hand. It is my understanding that the pilot is the responsible party when the ship is under their direction, and that the Captain takes his navigational directions from that pilot. That's why the pilot is onboard.
I'll agree with you 100%, but that was the ruling on this deal down here.
I always thought the pilot was responsible.

That's funny! Have you ever seen a ship's propulsion/power system? Usually, there are multiple engines, all of them mammoth. Their full speed operating RPM is around 300. Nowadays, and especially since this ship is only nine years old, it is very likely that the actual propulsion is from two or three "azipods" that are electric motors being powered by diesel (or black oil) powered engines, which may be even four or six in number.
Most ships run the 265in Chevy engine (single screw)
They can haul more weight and get better fuel mileage.

Bridges of all kinds can be dangerous under certain conditions. I remember this one from last fall.

I was also in Montreal on a layover when this bridge collapsed there killing 5 people. Luckily we didn't use that road but I remember looking up warily at every overpass for a long time after that.

Last edited:
Most ships run the 265in Chevy engine (single screw)
They can haul more weight and get better fuel mileage.
265 ??? I always heard they ran a 283 if under 15 tons and a 327 if over 15 ton ship and a 454 if over 30 tons !

115% Agree it was terrorist that caused the power loss !!
The planes appear to be suffering from GPS jamming, which can confuse pilots as this can make them believe they are in a different location than they actually are.

I thought these huge ships were moved with tug boats in conditions like this?
Usually not. The propulsion systems on newer ships are sufficiently good, what with azipods, stern and bow side thrusters and all of their other "toys" that a tug is typically not necessary. My wife and I have been on lots of passenger cruises on ships that are larger than this one. I've only seen a tug (actually two of them) called into service in Venice, Italy.

That's funny! Have you ever seen a ship's propulsion/power system? Usually, there are multiple engines, all of them mammoth. Their full speed operating RPM is around 300. Nowadays, and especially since this ship is only nine years old, it is very likely that the actual propulsion is from two or three "azipods" that are electric motors being powered by diesel (or black oil) powered engines, which may be even four or six in number.
Are big trucks allowed on that bridge?

Yes. Been over it numerous times in the past when avoiding the tunnels because of hazmat loads. Also, in the video, you can see saw two TT's going over the bridge shortly before the collapse.
Our sleeper drivers hid the hazmat bills under the mattress and turned the placards.
After all, it was probably just a $2 fine if they were caught in the tunnel.

Our sleeper drivers hid the hazmat bills under the mattress and turned the placards.
After all, it was probably just a $2 fine if they were caught in the tunnel.
Yep, knew drivers at Maislin who did stuff like that. All happy and good till the day you had an accident and your butt was in big trouble.

Yes. Been over it numerous times in the past when avoiding the tunnels because of hazmat loads. Also, in the video, you can see two TT's going over the bridge shortly before the collapse.
I ran tunnels a few times , guess I forgot to put the placards on ??? But no different than a Ship with hazmat on steering into a bridge ................