ABF | be prepared

OK, and ex driver is claiming that YRC owned New Penn at that time. Roadway bought New Penn in what, 2002? and Yellow didn't take over Roadway until 2005? If my memory serves me right on these dates, then Yellow DID NOT own New Penn when Red Star was shuttered. An I wrong here?

OK, and ex driver is claiming that YRC owned New Penn at that time. Roadway bought New Penn in what, 2002? and Yellow didn't take over Roadway until 2005? If my memory serves me right on these dates, then Yellow DID NOT own New Penn when Red Star was shuttered. An I wrong here?

YRC Worldwide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

n December 2003 Yellow Corp. acquired Roadway Corp. for $1.05 billion, forming Yellow Roadway Corporation. The merger more than doubled revenue; Yellow Corp. posted a 2003 revenue of $3.07 billion, and Yellow Roadway Corp. had a 2004 revenue of $6.8 billion. These revenues continued to increase with the $1.5 billion acquisition of USF Corp. to a high of $9.9 billion in 2006.

seems every time i post, some one else has to back up my facts. may-be i know what i'm talking about. may-be i have a friend in the ibt. i'm not posting this to be doomand gloom, i'm just saying things are not as black and white as you see them with blinders on.

So....should we just knuckle under and take pay cuts and benefit cuts? For what? Will the job be worth it? And......if ABF goes under, what will everyone else work for? Less? Will it stop with UPS Freight's contract in August? Or YRC's end of the MOU's in 2015? Obviously, if we take pay cuts , immediately the non-Unions will, too. After they do, how can any group of drivers ask for more money? Are you saying this industry has topped out as far as wages go? Not that I've noticed prices falling anywhere to justify wage cuts. If prices aren't falling and we take wage cuts, who are we making rich? In other words......are we being played for suckers by certain people trying to make us timid and fearful so they can get rich? Simple as that, isn't it? Do we all fully trust the IBT? Absolutely not. But the IBT has to wait for us to vote......they can't preemptively impose whatever the company wants.....and,..after the YRC debacle and the shameful "beg-back"....they've really got to do a heckuva sales job to get us to accept anything that smells of concessions. Time was on our side, and we've seen the results of their so-called "negotiations". "Won't Be Fooled Again"- Roger Daltrey

how naive of you to think this way. fact new penn never drew red ink. they were profitable when they took a pay cut and are profitable now. they voted no twice. but the ibt kept coming back until they got the results they wanted

if you have 30 yr and 65 YOU ARE SELFISH . go head vote no .I thank you because it will help me get back to work at yrc frieght
I assume your response was directed at me ? FYI I am 46, no where near retirement age. you can fall victim to the propaganda and give the company what it wants. then tell your family we can"t afford that while the company gets an extra round of golf on your dime. I will vote as i see fit and will have to abide by the results as they be, wether I like it or not, thats what being part of a brotherhood means. I was just making a point that we shouldn"t vote out of fear.

This is really beside the point of this thread but I don't think that usf shut down redstar because of future overlap with new penn. If that was the case they wouldn't have made the grievous error of trying to go back into some of those markets with Holland. A grand failure and one of the first changes made when YRC bought usf was to close those terminals (along with other outlying terminals). Hated seeing those men lose their jobs but I always wondered why they thought they could make it work if they didn't think redstar could.

if you have 30 yr and 65 YOU ARE SELFISH . go head vote no .I thank you because it will help me get back to work at yrc frieght
I disagree, I see them as helping to save my pension for when I get out ASAP.
This is really beside the point of this thread but I don't think that usf shut down redstar because of future overlap with new penn. If that was the case they wouldn't have made the grievous error of trying to go back into some of those markets with Holland. A grand failure and one of the first changes made when YRC bought usf was to close those terminals (along with other outlying terminals). Hated seeing those men lose their jobs but I always wondered why they thought they could make it work if they didn't think redstar could.
I think Holland had a contract that was more beneficial for the company, much more beneficial.

I disagree, I see them as helping to save my pension for when I get out ASAP.

I think Holland had a contract that was more beneficial for the company, much more beneficial.

I believe they were called the "Holland Dispach rules" ..Holland didn't want any part of the road contract they had in the northeast..In fact when Redstar was still running Holland had two New York terminals but they had no road drivers from either term..

I beg to differ with that line of thinking ex driver. When the company wants, we've listened and given them nothing so far. They asked for a payroll give back, we analyzed the information, and said no. This is even a more important situation, and if we don't like what we see, we will say NO once again. Because we understand that it's not only our futures that are at stake, but YRC will be negotiating on the heels of this contract, and none of us want to take the hit. The company is asking for some pretty outlandish items like GPS tracking, destruction of the job classifications, and I know they're not expecting us to buy into that, and if they are, anything in a contract that has either or both of those items, the answer will be NO. Bill Joyce and Louis Peich will not only roll over in their graves, but come to haunt the IBT leaders that allow any of that to come to fruition. ABF has been doing everything they can in the last week to break the solidarity in Chicago, but they need to realize this, since the firings last night, we more solid today than we were yesterday. We have each others backs, until death do us part.

I beg to differ with that line of thinking ex driver. When the company wants, we've listened and given them nothing so far. They asked for a payroll give back, we analyzed the information, and said no. This is even a more important situation, and if we don't like what we see, we will say NO once again. Because we understand that it's not only our futures that are at stake, but YRC will be negotiating on the heels of this contract, and none of us want to take the hit. The company is asking for some pretty outlandish items like GPS tracking, destruction of the job classifications, and I know they're not expecting us to buy into that, and if they are, anything in a contract that has either or both of those items, the answer will be NO. Bill Joyce and Louis Peich will not only roll over in their graves, but come to haunt the IBT leaders that allow any of that to come to fruition. ABF has been doing everything they can in the last week to break the solidarity in Chicago, but they need to realize this, since the firings last night, we more solid today than we were yesterday. We have each others backs, until death do us part.

you are right that they are asking for much. this is just the staring point. the company will throw all these extra things in so that they seem to be backing off, but you all know what abf wants, and that is economic relief. some sort of pay cut and some work rules that yellow has like part timers. and why the concern for yellow, they didnt care that their contract would be the one you are negotiating against. and that is where you will start. like i said save as much as you can. there are no winners only survivors.

The average age of a driver with a CDL Class A, HAZ-MAT, Doubles-Triples, Tanker is 55. The average age of the general trucking population...Class A only, is 45. There is a shrinking pool of qualified LTL drivers. For the past 20 years, each LTL carrier waited for one of their competitors to close, and that's where they got their new drivers. There is no apprentice program, or training to attract new drivers.....this occupation isn't even presented to high school or college kids at job fairs. We are at "Rock Bottom" as far as the supply of qualified LTL drivers stand....the only migitating factor is a (currently) weak economy that doesn't require a large increase of LTL drivers to replace whoever is lost through retirement or attrition. That situation should change.....or the whole country is going down the tube, and none of this matters much. But....if the economy turns around....as it should...the remaining LTL drivers will be a very hot property. That would be basic market economics, you know...supply and demand. Are we ignoring this fact as we go into negotiations? Would the companies, and the ATA like us to ignore these facts, and allow us to negotiate ourselves into a substandard contract, so that when the economy picks up.....and it will....they can gradually raise wages right back up to where they are now.....and us drivers will think we are getting somewhere. We are a Hot Property now....a "commodity" that trucking management is trying to purchase cheaply today, so they can cash in on our discounted labor tomorrow. I didn't spend 37 years in trucking not to understand what the Labor market, and the forces behind it, and future prognostications are. No Concessions!

All you have to do is look at most of these t/l carriers out there and see the quality of drivers they have who most don't have a clue!Their mostly recruited from Russia,Poland,or some other third world country who don't speak a lick of English but push them thru their driving school so they can pay them slave wages.When you see one of them step out of a truck wearing sweat pants and flip flops you know we're in trouble.

All you have to do is look at most of these t/l carriers out there and see the quality of drivers they have who most don't have a clue!Their mostly recruited from Russia,Poland,or some other third world country who don't speak a lick of English but push them thru their driving school so they can pay them slave wages.When you see one of them step out of a truck wearing sweat pants and flip flops you know we're in trouble.
And I see that just about every day. I wonder what that cab's like inside, how's it smell etc.

And I see that just about every day. I wonder what that cab's like inside, how's it smell etc.

you are 100% right, but this has nothing to do with your contract. abf is in a fight for it's life. all jobs drivng, dock and office workers plus management are on the line. it is not what is right, it is whats affordable at the moment. and right now yrc brought the bar way down and in order for them to compete they will try to match as much as yrc.

True,sad but true!!

you are 100% right, but this has nothing to do with your contract. abf is in a fight for it's life. all jobs drivng, dock and office workers plus management are on the line. it is not what is right, it is whats affordable at the moment. and right now yrc brought the bar way down and in order for them to compete they will try to match as much as yrc.

Seems to me they are going for a hell of alot more than YRC gave...

And what, exactly, do you have to do with our contract?

hey guys i think we really have to stick together on this one . its about time the working class stands up to corparte greed especially in are line of work. we are constantly held responsible for everything we do in regards to new changes in haz mat regulations and cdl liscenses overweight trucks etc. we work long hours under some of the worst conditions and god forbid you get in an accident and dont have all your i's dotted and t's crossed your basically on your ownif you screw up. we need to set an example that we will not beat down in wages & benefits so the the top brass prospers. WAKE UP PEOPLE ITS HAPPENING ALL OVER THIS COUNTRY. vote no to any and all concessions !!!!!

To see it the way some of us see our job today, We are more than Truck Drivers, and we deserve all the money we make! U-Packs,Turnkey Deliveries, Flatbed work, Relo Cubes, Inside Deliveries,Tanker Endorsments, Haz-Mat endorsments, Clean Driving Records, worth Millions right there, New Yorkers need a licence to haul steel rolls and the list goes on.... When a company does not respect the benefits the workers have to them,well its all downhill from there... Corporate America and Our Political System are a Discrace to the American Dream.... This Company will not be the best place to work real soon!

Last edited by a moderator: